6 Replies - 661 Views - Last Post: 06 September 2012 - 12:59 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Opinions Sought

Posted 06 September 2012 - 12:15 PM

Hello,

First post here so hello my name is Daniel. Anyway I'm here to pick some brains. I have experienced a problem which I believe a software program could turn in to a joy instead of a frustration. There are programs out there which attempt to overcome the problem but they are terrible and clearly not designed by people who have worked as electricians.

I believe there is a huge gap in the market waiting to be exploited. But I am not a software engineer. I am an electrician with reasonable maths. I'm really trying to find some advice on how I can exploit this idea. I mean is it something which can be learnt through books and hands on experience or does it take (as many things do) years and years of experience and education?

I would like to start working with someone to develop the software and exploit the opportunity. Can anyone share their experience and knowledge?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Opinions Sought

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Opinions Sought

Posted 06 September 2012 - 12:22 PM

I would like to start working with someone to develop the software and exploit the opportunity. Can anyone share their experience and knowledge?

Do you want this in 'post a jobs' then?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 September 2012 - 12:29 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 06 September 2012 - 12:22 PM, said:

Do you want this in 'post a jobs' then?

Hi,no. I am really seeking to hear from someone who has experience in creating software programs from idea to functioning program.

For example is it common for people to share the idea and work together to create a saleable product?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 September 2012 - 12:32 PM

Hi,no. I am really seeking to hear from someone who has experience in creating software programs from idea to functioning program.

That's pretty much software development in general. I typically get a five word sentence and off I go. Six if it's a good lazy afternoon. From there it is planning.. planning.. planning.. What platform? what language? What features? What storage? What data? What states? What actions? etc.

For example is it common for people to share the idea and work together to create a saleable product?

Yes.. teams, companies, LLCs, etc... but you need to figure out the money thing.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 September 2012 - 12:41 PM

OK. Just researching this field as its voodoo to me. How long might you expect an average software program to take? I'm guessing years unless you have some real time and money to invest?

Also, what kind of competence would I be seeking? Graduate? 5 years experience? If you were me and you had what you felt was a good idea how would you get the project off the ground? I'm aware of non disclosure agreements and such but realistically where would I find someone who would be prepared to work for very little income on a project which may ultimately fail? I do believe the idea could do really well and I do have a diversification applications but the base product is pretty simple.

Thanks
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 September 2012 - 12:51 PM

How long might you expect an average software program to take? I'm guessing years unless you have some real time and money to invest?

That depends on the platform, complexity, scope, etc.. etc. Factors - they are critical.

Also, what kind of competence would I be seeking? Graduate? 5 years experience?

See above about the factors of a project... I can gather up a troop of seventh graders, teach them to program, and have them do the work.. but that clearly will take time.. conversely a comp sci PHd holder may not have the business acumen required outside of the classroom.. then the world weary people working in the field may actually ask for money. etc.. etc.

If you were me and you had what you felt was a good idea how would you get the project off the ground?

I would start by getting the design down. Points of interaction, user interface, list all the functionality required.. address data retention.. etc.

I'm aware of non disclosure agreements and such but realistically where would I find someone who would be prepared to work for very little income on a project which may ultimately fail?

Not to mention there's a certain quality of work that may be missing...

I do believe the idea could do really well and I do have a diversification applications but the base product is pretty simple.

I'll take your word on it.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 September 2012 - 12:59 PM

Thanks for the humour!! Yes in the real world this is all a little challenging, ie I have an idea lets party for free and hope it works!!!

I'll explore, just found a business partner website or maybe linkedin may have something to explore. Anyway I appreciate your time.

Thanks,

Daniel
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1