• (3 Pages)
  • +

35 Replies - 3187 Views - Last Post: 11 September 2012 - 10:03 PM

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Interviewing while in a job etiquette

Posted 06 September 2012 - 04:58 PM

This is a subject that I really don't know how to approach. What is the proper way to interview for other jobs while you are currently employed?

I currently work as a Net Technician in my home town, but I recently got a phone interview with a Development company. They contacted me, and for the record I do enjoy my current job.

What's the best way to go about this? Do I tell my boss? I'm just not sure how to go about this one considering my current job is my first place of employment that isn't freelance based.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Interviewing while in a job etiquette

• Monomania
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Interviewing while in a job etiquette

Posted 06 September 2012 - 06:02 PM

Do not tell your boss, unless you're friends, but still, do not tell him/her. I suggest looking at what the other job has to offer (salary,benefit,environment, opportunity for learning, career growth) then when all the cards are set decide if you want to pursue it. You can always say no. But never let your current employer know that you're looking at another job.

On the other hand, if you see yourself as a valuable contributor to your company, go ahead and say it to your boss. Most likely, they will do something to make you stay with them, but I suggest you do this after you know what the other job has to offer and when they are offering you the job.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 xclite  Icon User is online

• LIKE A BOSS
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 September 2012 - 07:18 PM

Just to echo the above, I don't tell them until I'm seriously considering an offer. No reason to get anybody wondering how long you'll be around until there's a significant chance you won't be around.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 September 2012 - 07:24 PM

POPULAR

To my way of thinking, there's no point in pretending. Everybody knows that everyone in tech is always looking for their next job. If you're not going for an interview now and then, you're obviously not going anywhere, so where's the incentive to keep you happy?
Part of this, of course, is that you also make sure your current employer knows that you're not actively unhappy with your current position. If you're actively trying to get the hell out, then again, there's not much point in trying to keep you there. You want to hit that sweet spot where they feel like they need to work a little to keep you around, but they still think it's worth trying.

It's kind of like maintaining a girlfriend, really.
Was This Post Helpful? 5
  • +
  • -

• Monomania
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:08 PM

Sweet spot! Girlfriend! Yeah, that nails it. ^^
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:58 PM

My boss and I are on good terms, and have agreed that I'll probably be moving on eventually. It was just a matter of when more than anything. There's a longer story behind it, but I would rather not post that part. Message me if you want to know.

Put simply, I have a general understanding with my boss, and we're on good terms. I like my boss, I do, but I have to move on eventually. This just happens to be a convenient opportunity for me, one that I wouldn't have considered if they hadn't contacted me with it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:23 PM

In that case, go ahead and tell him that you've got an interview and let him know that you'll give him plenty of notice if you take the job so he can find a good replacement, and oh, by the way, would he mind if they were to call him as a reference.

Basically, I figure if you keep things out in the open as much as possible it makes life easier all around. It's worked pretty well for me, all in all.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 September 2012 - 07:47 AM

POPULAR

From personal experience in this area, I would say don't tell your employer - or any of your coworkers. At my last job, I made the mistake of mentioning to the one person I thought I could trust that I had a couple interviews lined up. He went straight to management with my story.

Don't get me wrong here - he was trying to help. He and I had been arguing with management for quite a while over the need for better pay, benefits, and better working conditions for the code monkeys and it wasn't happening. He was trying to use me as an example - that conditions were so bad even the lead developer was looking for a better position. The entire place exploded at that point. Management started tossing around threats about how no one was irreplaceable and if we weren't happy in our positions, they didn't want us around... "we'll fire you all and start from scratch".... "if you can't work more than 60 hours a week, you're fired".... "if you start working for another company, you'll be in violation of your non-compete agreements and we'll take you to court and sue you for everything you have".... yadda, yadda, yadda....

Thankfully, one of those interviews panned out, landing me in my current position. After my departure, half of the tribe quit within weeks. The company never fully recovered. In the years since, they have scaled back their web dev department to a minor, secondary part of their business. Last I heard, they only have 1 designer and 2 developers on staff now.

If I were in your position, I would err on the side of caution. Better employed and secretive than unemployed and out of interviews.
Was This Post Helpful? 8
  • +
  • -

#9 DarenR  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 07 September 2012 - 07:51 AM

Never tell anyone until you land the job. Liking a boss has nothing to do with it. Sometimes the boss you "like" is actually the one holding you back from advancing or making more money. Just remeber a boss is usually all about the company and their own skin before they are about yours.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 September 2012 - 08:49 AM

No offense Daren, but given your comments about your working life I don't think I'm going to take job advice from you, because everything you say about your work suggests that you hate what you do and the people you work for. This might not actually be the case, but it's the impression I get. So why would I want to follow your lead? It doesn't seem to be working very well for you, right?

Frankly, when I see this attitude it's usually from people who are not confident in their ability to get a new job, or in the work they do and the value they provide for their current job. And if that is a correct assessment of their situation, then it's probably not their boss that's holding them back.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 September 2012 - 08:56 AM

View PostBenignDesign, on 07 September 2012 - 09:47 AM, said:

From personal experience in this area, I would say don't tell your employer - or any of your coworkers. At my last job, I made the mistake of mentioning to the one person I thought I could trust that I had a couple interviews lined up. He went straight to management with my story.

This is a case where I think you'd have been better to be more open, rather than having someone else be open for you. It's also a case where you'd better be ready to back up the talk - if you're interviewing, you should probably be ready to make a move if it becomes necessary. Any place that pulls the stuff you describe deserves to lose their talent immediately. Stupidity should hurt.
But I should also keep in mind that you and Lemur are in very different situations, and it's a lot more difficult for you to pack up and move along, because you have dependents to contend with, and my advice above didn't take that into account. So maybe I should also advise that it's best not to have kids, if at all possible.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

#12 DarenR  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 07 September 2012 - 09:07 AM

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 07 September 2012 - 11:56 AM, said:

So maybe I should also advise that it's best not to have kids, if at all possible.

well with this statement you clearly have demonstrated that you have no kids or wished you never had them. This is a clear way of sayign that you are "you you" first and all others second. Being all about company is definately no way to live as benign would probably agree with. Jon the only time I ever see you post on my replies is when you have something negative to say to me and nothing more and by doing that you clearly show case a "I am better then you attitude." So I vent about stuff so what sue me and you vent but you generally vent by trying to belittle people which is a strong case for you being one of those people who always gets picked on in daily life or even at your work and the only way to get out your frustrations is by trying to belittle people. No offense Jon but coming from someone who always belittles people I would not listen to any words that come out of your mouth. My work experiences are long from ground pounder to management so I know how it all works, so unless your experiences match those of mine please keep those comments to yourself.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 September 2012 - 09:09 AM

POPULAR

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 5
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 September 2012 - 09:14 AM

Can I rest my case now?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#15 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 September 2012 - 09:17 AM

Okay folks let us all take a step back and a deep breath. I prefer not to spill my mid morning jargarita quite yet.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +