• (3 Pages)
  • +

35 Replies - 3558 Views - Last Post: 11 September 2012 - 10:03 PM

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Interviewing while in a job etiquette

Posted 08 September 2012 - 06:31 AM

IT people should start a Union. Why do construction workers get one, but we don't? I don't get it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Noid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 September 2012 - 07:05 AM

I know it's already been stated, but I really would wait until there's an offer on the table before you tell your boss. If your boss knows you're leaving, he or she is probably going to start looking to replace you. That courtesy that you gave your boss is going to get awkward when he suddenly has the perfect candidate to replace you, but no idea when you're leaving. I was in a position similar to yours at the end of my last internship (that led to my current job). I knew that a job offer was part of my internship (provided I wasn't a retard), but I had been eying another company all along (the big dog in town who is known for paying really well). I had interviewed for that company in the weeks prior to my post-internship eval, and had an offer from them on the table when the eval finally happened. I let my boss know that, and his offer actually beat the other company, and this is a MUCH better work environment. I was really conflicted for the last half of my internship, because I really liked it here and I felt loyal enough to my boss that it felt disloyal to be interviewing at other companies. In the end though, I believe I made the right decision. My boss is very honest with me; he has already made it clear to me that he knows he can't afford to keep me indefinitely, and I'm sure your boss knows that too. I think that it is professional courtesy (provided you aren't being treated like crap) to allow your boss the opportunity to make you counter-offer, even if you know that he/she can't. Everyone should be at least casually looking for better opportunities out there, and any good boss knows that.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 September 2012 - 07:13 AM

View PostSergio Tapia, on 08 September 2012 - 08:31 AM, said:

IT people should start a Union. Why do construction workers get one, but we don't? I don't get it.

Construction workers get a union because construction workers, and other workers, started a union, and stood up to armed thugs and defended their union. A lot of people spent their lives making that happen, and plenty of people died to make that happen - they didn't just "get" a union.
Now if you want to establish a union for workers in high tech today, you'd probably get a lot of resistance from some high-tech workers, who like to think of themselves as "above all that" - they're the aristocracy of labor, they set their own rules, they don't need a union - but there are plenty of people who would think you've got a pretty good idea there. All you have to do is come up with a way to sell it to the IT staff, the freelance web dev, the career DBA, and the mid-20s would-be rockstar.

You might do yourself a favor and think about whether you want to go with the craft organization - one union for the bartender, another for the dishwasher, and another for the band - or the industrial system, where everyone working for the bar is in one union, talking to the boss together. If you like the latter, join the IWW and get to work where you are.

Yours for the OBU, solidarity forever.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 September 2012 - 07:53 AM

You're right about people in construction sacrificed many things to defend their Union and rights. I doubt this is a sacrifice most people in IT would back up with anything other than words.

---

What does this mean?

join the IWW and get to work where you are.

Yours for the OBU, solidarity forever.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 September 2012 - 08:04 AM

The Industrial Workers of the World - the One Big Union. The folks who brought you the weekend.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:03 PM

Well I went ahead and told my boss about the situation and it all went over well. To be fair I padded it by saying I'd train a new recruit to do my job if I leave.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +