Looking for a partner / game develoepr

• (2 Pages)
  • +

16 Replies - 2839 Views - Last Post: 08 September 2012 - 07:31 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Looking for a partner / game develoepr

Posted 06 September 2012 - 05:41 PM

I'm currently looking for a partner to start a project with. I need a partner with experience in game development as my idea pertains to such. The game idea is a new kind of side-scroller rpg mixed with sandbox type. If you are at all interested in helping complete such a game as a partner of mine or are looking for more details on the required skills or payment please feel free to contact me at: game1campaign -at- gmail.com ... Please include your skills and such.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Looking for a partner / game develoepr

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Looking for a partner / game develoepr

Posted 06 September 2012 - 05:46 PM

are looking for more details on the required skills or payment

You could post them here..
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 September 2012 - 06:13 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 06 September 2012 - 05:46 PM, said:

are looking for more details on the required skills or payment

You could post them here..

Well, programming wise - it would vary. I'm open to all programming languages for the game development although, xna is preferred. Skill wise, you must be able to code a fairly advanced 2d sandbox type side scroller, stuff like enemies, breakable blocks which you can place back down to build houses, stuff like that. As for the payment, it also varies, mostly because im looking to partner up it would be a % of the overall profit the game would bring, but also have some perks other then just % of the profits. About the game idea, I would like to keep all the specific details a little bit more protected until there is someone who is capable of these skills required.
Was This Post Helpful? -1
  • +
  • -

#4 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 September 2012 - 06:27 PM

Out of curiosity, what would the other perks be? Health insurance, retirement, signing bonus, life insurance, free pizza, free rent?
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Hash != Encryption
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 September 2012 - 01:14 AM

I'll learn whatever language you need me to learn and complete whatever task needs to be completed if I were to be paid in pizza. Health insurance is a plus too, cause you know, when all you eat is pizza you better be able to pay for that $600 ambulance ride.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 September 2012 - 03:14 AM

View Postcreativecoding, on 08 September 2012 - 01:14 AM, said:

I'll learn whatever language you need me to learn and complete whatever task needs to be completed if I were to be paid in pizza. Health insurance is a plus too, cause you know, when all you eat is pizza you better be able to pay for that $600 ambulance ride.

Is this that much of a joke? I'm pretty new to these forums, but i'm not joking? I am learning xna currently but I need a partner to help speed up the development.... I also have all the costs for marketing covered. So why is it so "Funny" or a joke?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Hash != Encryption
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 September 2012 - 09:51 AM

You're basically asking someone to work for free. Even if the game you would be making becomes successful (it probably won't), it'll take YEARS before you see any sort of income. That means years of free work for maybe somewhat of a payoff. Nobody wants to do that. They want to get paid for their work now.

- however -
My pizza offer still stands. I would require one pizza a day (living ain't cheap). $20 a day, $140 a week, ~$7280 a year. I think that'd be proper payment, and it's not even minimum wage.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 September 2012 - 10:38 AM

Well, yes you would be working for free, but the game's completion time would not be "Years" its a development process for an indie game. I'm going through all of the basics now and will have a lot done in maybe a month. I also have an artist lined up for the job etc. Money wise, I think the game will be profitable and I don't think it will take years. I have a marketing plan setup and everything. But yes it might be a risk but, Risk = Reward.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Hash != Encryption
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 September 2012 - 11:53 AM

What is your marketing strategy? How will you turn this from a group of unpaid not-bound-by-contract volunteers into a successful game development team? Say somehow your team finished a somewhat decent indie game, what next?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 September 2012 - 01:09 PM

View Postcreativecoding, on 08 September 2012 - 11:53 AM, said:

What is your marketing strategy? How will you turn this from a group of unpaid not-bound-by-contract volunteers into a successful game development team? Say somehow your team finished a somewhat decent indie game, what next?

I have my plan all set it out, but I don't like giving out specific details. Yes it's a risk, but if it works and all goes well the reward will be more then sufficient for what the game coding required. I also plan on releasing the game at a beta stage to feel out how people like the idea. So if all fails it won't have a huge amount of time wasted.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#11 GunnerInc  Icon User is online

• "Hurry up and wait"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 September 2012 - 01:11 PM

So if all fails it won't have a huge amount of time wasted.

For you maybe, but what about the programmer that spends countless hours working on coding YOUR game? That means time away from the wife, husband, girl/boyfriend, family, friends, sleep, etc... try asking them if it is not time wasted.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#12 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 September 2012 - 01:26 PM

At the end of the day it is all about perspective and I do believe that's been outlined. ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 September 2012 - 01:31 PM

View PostGunnerInc, on 08 September 2012 - 01:11 PM, said:

So if all fails it won't have a huge amount of time wasted.

For you maybe, but what about the programmer that spends countless hours working on coding YOUR game? That means time away from the wife, husband, girl/boyfriend, family, friends, sleep, etc... try asking them if it is not time wasted.

I'm guessing you didn't read the whole post... I said releasing in beta with bare minimum in the game to feel out the market. None the less contact me If your interested, ethier way I'm going to code it, whether that's alone or with a partner.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 September 2012 - 05:26 PM

View Postgamecampaign, on 08 September 2012 - 04:14 AM, said:

I am learning xna currently but I need a partner to help speed up the development....

*learnING* XNA. So its still all new to you. You've never actually built anything. Which means you've never really architected a working design.

I think what you are really saying isn't 'partner'. What you're really saying is 'Sole software engineer and coder - mixed with being my private programming tutor'

Why is this so funny? Because we see 50 posts like this a month, where someone with no programming experience thinks they have the next "Angry Birds" concept and that it can all be done inside a month... but lack any real understanding of development or coding... so expect that 1,000 programmers are going to just drop everything and rush to work for some hypothetical percentage of sales.

If you're so sure of your concept then offer this...
$ x,000 per week as a minimum base salary
$ x,000 when the game reaches the first milestone and is released to beta testers
$ x,000 when the game reaches the second milestone and is released to the public
$ x,000 when the game reaches the third milestone and sells its 5,000th copy.
plus x% of gross for continued work after the third milestone.

When you back up your confidence with payment it will stop being so damned funny.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#15 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 September 2012 - 05:35 PM

Plus, if your concept is so solid, there are ways to get investment money. Have you heard of angel investors or venture capitalists? What about startup incubator programs?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +