8 Replies - 787 Views - Last Post: 10 September 2012 - 03:19 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Making the "Basement"

Posted 07 September 2012 - 07:22 PM

Hi, I'm new to python, but not to coding in general. I was readi g Ready Player One by Ernest Cline, and I started thinking about Aech's basement. For those of you who haven't read the book, Aech's basement was a chat room, designed to look like a medium size rec room in someone's basement, replete with old videogames, arcade cabinets, a stereo, and several old comics, magazines, and books among other things. I decided I wanted to make a basement for my own personal use. First was how I would Make it. Python seemd like a good choice, as it was simple enough, and could model graphics easily enough. I have a few basic concepts and sketches for the basement layout, and some things I want to put into it. For game systems, books, and other things, I have decided to use programs and emulators for this. Now, I have two questions on how to make this come into being:
-How should I actually code the basement, as this is hopefully going to be first person.

-How can I open the emulators through my python program? I have no idea how to do this.

Please offer tips, pointers, what have you on how to pull this off. Thanks.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Making the "Basement"

• Pythoneer
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Making the "Basement"

Posted 07 September 2012 - 08:15 PM

So, you want to create a small virtual world that will be navigated in the first person that will act as a music player and used to open emulators? It sounds a lot like Microsoft Bob to me lol

As for actually designing it? Well, you'll want to look into the OS and sys modules for running external programs. I presume you want it to be 3D since it's a first person application... well it sounds a whole lot like a game (from a development standpoint) so I'd suggest looking at some game libraries.

EDIT:
If you can find an emulator that can accept command line arguments, you could do some nifty things like being able to choose the rom to run from the basement rather than through the emulator... you could make some cool menus and whatnot with that.

This post has been edited by atraub: 07 September 2012 - 08:17 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 September 2012 - 02:48 PM

I've never heard of Microsoft Bob, but I'll look into it. As I said, I'm new to Python, so I'm still trying to figure things out. I'lll probably be back here for help at some point. I'll keep you posted.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pythoneer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 September 2012 - 03:01 PM

I actually played with Microsoft Bob as a kid... ahh memories.

Good luck on the basement. Keep us posted

This post has been edited by atraub: 08 September 2012 - 03:04 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 September 2012 - 03:09 PM

I can recommend the book "Learn Python The Hard Way".

It's free (The HTML version, which still is excellent) and focuses on how you learned to program back in the days, before IDEs, and it never gives you a access to a shortcut. At the end it will have taught you, how to program a game, and then making it a game that will work in a browser window.

EDIT: Which I assume could be useful for making your project.

This post has been edited by Arceopteryx: 08 September 2012 - 03:10 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 September 2012 - 06:24 PM

I'll keep the book in mind. On a side note, does anybody have any other ideas on how to make this? Python seems like an okay option, but is there any easier way to model this stuff?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pythoneer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 September 2012 - 03:06 PM

I'd say you might be better off with using a pre-built game engine that has some scripting tools built into it. Call me crazy but... what about Flash?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 September 2012 - 06:47 PM

Well, I thought abotu flash at one time, but I've given up on it. Does anybody know any 3d Modeling tools? Like, standalone programs?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pythoneer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 September 2012 - 03:19 PM

I've heard good things about Blender 3D.

This post has been edited by atraub: 10 September 2012 - 03:19 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1