part time programming jobs

Page 1 of 1

11 Replies - 2949 Views - Last Post: 08 September 2012 - 04:01 PM

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

part time programming jobs

Posted 07 September 2012 - 09:38 PM

Due to scheduling conflicts, my last semester of college will only be about two classes, and I would like to start my career officially at this point, how common are they and do you think i would be able to get a job one semester before my bachelors degree is official? Also, how common is it that a part timer is able to become full time after a certain point?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: part time programming jobs

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: part time programming jobs

Posted 08 September 2012 - 12:18 AM

When it comes down to it, if you're not getting calls already about recruitment you're not doing a very good job.

Join professional networks like LinkedIn, Dice, Monster, and assorted other such sites. Make yourself known, do public projects, and make your work readily available to anyone who's curious. Get up a portfolio, and fill it.

Trying a cold call in this day and age is borderline suicide, especially when you're getting out of the starting blocks.

The better programmers and admins at my College quite frequently get calls or emails about job opportunities. By better, I mean the ones intelligent enough to put themselves in the open in public view instead of hoping for a silver platter to come along and magically fix everything.

The ball is in your court, and if you want to score you have to get out there and make yourself known.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 September 2012 - 06:50 AM

How do I get a job, what do I need to study, blah blah...
All these questions and more are covered in depth in the Q&A With the Experts thread.

Now for the bitter truth... The economy is still down. There are numerous professionals with years of experience looking for work. Many of whom are accepting they have to take lower wages than they did 5 years ago. You are a student with none of that, competing against experienced professionals. From the employer's perspective who would you hire for the same $35k/year: An 8 year veteran or a kid with no experience or established work ethic?

If you want a part-time job you should expect it to include the phrase "Please pull around to the second window."

All you can do is work your ass off to get anything close to your field. If that means phone support or installation until you can work into programming at least you have your foot in the door. You can't be picky and say "I'll only code for a company that makes left-handed widgets because they're cool." If you have to work as a coder on an oil rig it still pays the bills.

As for the bachelors degree... A friend's kid finally just got his. Now he works at Jiffy Lube. [Full article]
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Sum over All Paths
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 September 2012 - 11:21 AM

To jump off of what Lemur said, get yourself out there as much as possible. Check with your universities clubs/organizations. Every week or two our local computing club has an update about full time or part time jobs in the area. If you are about to graduate, your time if obviously running short and I hate to say it but you have missed several opportunities along the way. That is not to say you should give up, by all means you should try harder.

Also, to provide my own anecdote relating to what tlhIn'toq said. I am working part-time in technical support for a company while going to school. When they found out that I have an interest in programming as well, they put me under a development team. I basically get the trivial, non-coding related tasks. But, I get to work with some of the developers and have read access to a majority of the source. Sure, I may not be programming for work (not that I'm qualified anyways) but i'm making connections. If I decide to pursue programming as a career, I have a good shot at a position here as a direct consequence of the connections i've made. The lesson from all this should be self-evident.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 08 September 2012 - 12:43 PM

I like how this thread stayed on topic the entire time. I asked how common part time programming jobs are, and, for some reason, this thread turned into a "The op gets no job offers despite never saying anything about that" thread.

Only one person actually talked about part time jobs, but i cant tell if theyre saying that its uncommon, or that I should just work in another field. My post was never about "how to get hired."

I would be nicer about it, but unfortunately this thread contains a lot of chest pounding and being talked down to based off of really bad assumptions.

This post has been edited by NecroWinter: 08 September 2012 - 12:44 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 September 2012 - 01:19 PM

Necro, no one has been beating you down, if you don't like the truth then sorry its how it is. Programming is an intense field to get into, and I haven't heard of a single company who wants part time help. If they need a programmer they need a full time programmer. Or they send their projects out to bid. TlhnIk had almost all the information you wanted. If your looking to make some money, find a part time job out of programming, you'll end up getting more hours, have less of a headache trying to find one, and it will look good on a resume that you haven't devoted your entire exhistance to programming.

a lot of the problems that we solve require knowledge outside of just throwing down code. Getting experience on what an end user may use or how it works for them will help you in the long run.

So to wrap up, get a job, doesn't have to be in your field. Part time jobs are just that, part time.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 September 2012 - 01:23 PM

Sorry if all the comments provided weren't unicorns and rainbows.
We're not here to blow sunshine up your skirt. We're certainly not here to build you a 5 year plan with bullet-points and instructions for how to live.

Welcome to the grown up world where people tell you that you're at the bottom of the pecking order and that it is going to be rough out there.

Let's be frank, you're basically asking people to explain how the world works with respect to jobs. If you haven't figured out by know how the world works or how the job market works then you haven't been actively participating in your own life. Life is not a spectator sport. You have to get in it and play.

If you ask 100 people in any profession about their experiences, do part timers get hired to be full timers, blah blah you're going to get 100 different anecdotal stories. The simple fact is that some people will get moved from department to department, promoted ahead of others, moved from part time to full time... because they work hard, have a good work ethic, know their stuff and know whom to kiss ass. That's life. If you have those skills you're better off than most. We don't know you. We don't know your skills. We can't tell you if you are likely to get moved from part to full time or not.

Getting off my soapbox now and leaving this thread. Good luck with life, career, hopes, dreams, and figuring out life. Personally I suggest the Army. It will give you some life experience while you figure out the grown up stuff.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 08 September 2012 - 01:55 PM

View PosttlhIn`toq, on 08 September 2012 - 01:23 PM, said:

Sorry if all the comments provided weren't unicorns and rainbows.
We're not here to blow sunshine up your skirt. We're certainly not here to build you a 5 year plan with bullet-points and instructions for how to live.

Welcome to the grown up world where people tell you that you're at the bottom of the pecking order and that it is going to be rough out there.

Let's be frank, you're basically asking people to explain how the world works with respect to jobs. If you haven't figured out by know how the world works or how the job market works then you haven't been actively participating in your own life. Life is not a spectator sport. You have to get in it and play.

If you ask 100 people in any profession about their experiences, do part timers get hired to be full timers, blah blah you're going to get 100 different anecdotal stories. The simple fact is that some people will get moved from department to department, promoted ahead of others, moved from part time to full time... because they work hard, have a good work ethic, know their stuff and know whom to kiss ass. That's life. If you have those skills you're better off than most. We don't know you. We don't know your skills. We can't tell you if you are likely to get moved from part to full time or not.

Getting off my soapbox now and leaving this thread. Good luck with life, career, hopes, dreams, and figuring out life. Personally I suggest the Army. It will give you some life experience while you figure out the grown up stuff.

I think you are the last person I would ever ask advice from personally. You cant even read a few sentences in the original post, and you get pissy when you realize your advice had absolutely nothing to do with what the question was. You just want to pound your chest when you see people who are starting out, we get it, you like yourself. Im sure you have a good grip, too.

This post has been edited by NecroWinter: 08 September 2012 - 01:55 PM

Was This Post Helpful? -6
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 08 September 2012 - 02:06 PM

View PostUtael, on 08 September 2012 - 01:19 PM, said:

Necro, no one has been beating you down, if you don't like the truth then sorry its how it is. Programming is an intense field to get into, and I haven't heard of a single company who wants part time help. If they need a programmer they need a full time programmer. Or they send their projects out to bid. TlhnIk had almost all the information you wanted. If your looking to make some money, find a part time job out of programming, you'll end up getting more hours, have less of a headache trying to find one, and it will look good on a resume that you haven't devoted your entire exhistance to programming.

a lot of the problems that we solve require knowledge outside of just throwing down code. Getting experience on what an end user may use or how it works for them will help you in the long run.

So to wrap up, get a job, doesn't have to be in your field. Part time jobs are just that, part time.

Unfortunately he didnt respond to my thread, he misread it and acted likes he knows my life story, and got angry when he realized it.

You answered by saying "I've never heard of it", great. Thanks for actually contributing to the actual question instead of trying to turn this into something else entirely. The only real information you can get from me from my original post is that im in college and that im unaware of how common part time jobs are in this field. Thats it, any other information is pure assumption. I chose not to address those assumptions, because they have nothing to do with anything, not because theres any amount of truth to them.
Was This Post Helpful? -4
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 September 2012 - 02:30 PM

Don't fool yourself. If you had job offers and everything figured out, you wouldn't be asking, you'd be doing. Call it assumption, but I can tell you there's more truth to it than you'd be willing to admit. You only ask about this because you don't have jobs lined up, you haven't done due diligence to find them, and now that you're backed into a corner in your last moments you want to figure out what in the world you can do to fix that.

Now here's the thing, you think you're a special snowflake. That's cute and all, but the world doesn't owe you a damn thing. Learn that now, and you'll be saved from quite a bit of pain. No one cares about your life story, your trials and tribulations, or how special you are. They care about one thing: What can you do to get your employer more money or increase stockholder value?

If you can't do that, then people will not want you.

The only difference between part time and full time is availability. If you're worth it then people will hire you, if not, they won't. Simple.

The simple fact that you've got most of the major members riled up and annoyed with you speaks to what will likely happen, and it's not good. They know leagues and scores beyond what you could dream of at this point, and to belittle their intelligence is a bad call.

Don't take my word for it though, you'll figure it out in about 2-3 years. Until then, flame away if it makes you feel better about your newly realized insignificance.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 08 September 2012 - 02:43 PM

View PostLemur, on 08 September 2012 - 02:30 PM, said:

Don't fool yourself. If you had job offers and everything figured out, you wouldn't be asking, you'd be doing. Call it assumption, but I can tell you there's more truth to it than you'd be willing to admit. You only ask about this because you don't have jobs lined up, you haven't done due diligence to find them, and now that you're backed into a corner in your last moments you want to figure out what in the world you can do to fix that.

Now here's the thing, you think you're a special snowflake. That's cute and all, but the world doesn't owe you a damn thing. Learn that now, and you'll be saved from quite a bit of pain. No one cares about your life story, your trials and tribulations, or how special you are. They care about one thing: What can you do to get your employer more money or increase stockholder value?

If you can't do that, then people will not want you.

The only difference between part time and full time is availability. If you're worth it then people will hire you, if not, they won't. Simple.

The simple fact that you've got most of the major members riled up and annoyed with you speaks to what will likely happen, and it's not good. They know leagues and scores beyond what you could dream of at this point, and to belittle their intelligence is a bad call.

Don't take my word for it though, you'll figure it out in about 2-3 years. Until then, flame away if it makes you feel better about your newly realized insignificance.

I do have job offers. Very few are part time. I have a linkedin account, and I was given an opportunity to do work with an organization that is out of my state. Problem being, that their schedules conflict with my college schedule at this current time, and im just curious as to how common part time jobs are in the field. Its very possible that the messages im getting from my college/college I transferred from dont represent the population of jobs very accurately. Then I made the mistake of asking a question here, where people chose not to read and assume my life story. Its one thing to make a mistake and misunderstand the nature of the post. No problem! But dont be an arrogant, condescending douche bag in the process, because you just make yourself seem stupid.

Now its my turn to make an assumption about you: This is how you felt coming out of college or starting out, and you had to deal with it, and it wasnt so good for you. However, I never implied that anyone owes me anything, in fact, I think the opposite, and if you cared about actually knowing the situation you wouldnt just assumed. When theres no evidence for something, its best not to go with it... I dont actually believe what I just said about you, because I have no evidence about what happened in your life

I dont really care if I got people annoyed because of the response I got to a simple, unoffensive question. Its really not my problem. I asked a simple question, people chose not to read it, and some decided to be condescending in the process. How else should I respond? Should I thank you for not being helpful and being a dick? Not being helpful is one thing, everyone makes mistakes and thats perfectly understandable, but again, you chose to be an asshole, and thats a problem.

If you want to express to me how difficult the job market is, great! Thats certainly useful, maybe not in this context so much, but either way, information is a good thing, and im grateful for anything, but I dont respect people who dont respect others. You made a mistake, just admit it, and move on with your life. I wont hold it against you, beleive it or not, im not actually mad at you or anyone. Im just pointing out that you have a shitty attitude and didnt address my post.

This post has been edited by NecroWinter: 08 September 2012 - 02:47 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• "Hurry up and wait"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 September 2012 - 04:01 PM

One says one thing to you and you say something in return.. this is going nowhere and hit the proverbial fork in the road...

Closing before we get lost....
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1