7 Replies - 2806 Views - Last Post: 24 October 2012 - 09:35 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

problem: how should i develop this game idea

Posted 07 September 2012 - 11:13 PM

ok so i have an idea for a game.

basically, an user can draw his/her own character and then this character can be manipulated in a fighting game.
I'm a beginner in programming. so im not quite sure on how i should make this happen?
do I use java? how can i make a program/platform for the users to draw on, and most important of all, how can I take this drawing and manipulate it.

your help is greatly appreciated!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: problem: how should i develop this game idea

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: problem: how should i develop this game idea

Posted 08 September 2012 - 09:40 AM

Learn to crawl... then walk... then run... then compete.

Don't try to create this game: You're not ready.

You need to learn a programming language, learn the underlying concepts of coding, OOP and so on.

*THEN* you can start architecting small projects and work your way up to games - which are always considered amongst the hardest projects types out there. To complicate it you want to incorporate a real-time drawing surface like Adobe Illustrator but with a simplier interface for the game player. This is not a simple or beginner task.

My standard beginner resources post

First learn the language by working 2-5 "Learn C# in 30 days" type books cover to cover. Do a couple hundred on-line tutorial projects where you build what you're told to build, the way you are told to build it WITH AN EXPLANATION OF WHY so you can learn.

Then later you can start architecting your own simple stuff. Build a calculator. Build a DVD library program. Etc. Stuff that doesn't involve the complexity of a game. Then move up to games.

There are three routes people seem to take when learning programming.
  • Just start trying to create programs
  • Start taking apart other programs and try to figure out the language by reverse engineering
  • Follow a guided learning course (school or self-teaching books)

For the life of me I can't figure out why people try 1 & 2. I strongly suggest taking the guided learning approach. Those book authors go in a certain order for a reason: They know what they're doing and they know the best order to learn the materials.

Where do I start?

You start by learning a coding language FIRST.
Learn to plan before you type.
THEN you start designing software with a purpose.

If this sounds like you

Newbie/Rookie said:

I have a little programming experience but I need to write ...
read this section
Spoiler

Otherwise, you can just jump to the resources here:
Some of the tutorials below are for C# or Java not C, C++, VB.NET [...]. But the conceptual stuff of classes, object oriented design, events etc. are not language specific and should give you enough guidance in theory of program development for you to be able to look-up specific code example in your chosen coding language.

Resources, references and suggestions for new programmers. - Updated Mar 2012
Spoiler

This post has been edited by tlhIn`toq: 08 September 2012 - 09:40 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 September 2012 - 05:35 AM

thanks for the post. I totally understand where you're coming from.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 September 2012 - 05:06 AM

View PosttlhIn`toq, on 08 September 2012 - 09:40 AM, said:

Learn to crawl... then walk... then run... then compete.

Don't try to create this game: You're not ready.

You need to learn a programming language, learn the underlying concepts of coding, OOP and so on.

I don't mean to intrude, but i hear this far too often. There are certain things you have to know to begin, but after tackling that first little obstacle, I don't see the problem in going for gold. Lets be honest, nobody wants to clone pong thirteen million times, before finally moving on to snake. So here is my advice.

1.) Figure out which language you want to use. Unless you are planning on selling this it really doesn't matter which you choose. Just take a look at a few of them, learn some basic syntax, then pick. Then pick an engine, making your own is difficult so try to find a free and simple one for you. If you are going to use c++ I would recommend dark GDK by the game creators. Its very simple, and decently powerful.

2.) Learn the language. Buy books, look online for tutorials, and ask questions. While you are doing this you can start planning out what you are going to do with your game, and when you have learned the language enough you can start planning how you are going to do it.

4.) plan, plan, plan, and then when you think if you hear the word plan again you'll throw yourself off a bridge in a desperate attempt to never have to ponder the future again, plan some more. When you are working on pong, it is possible to just jump on your computer and start typing your keys off (although it is frowned upon). The game you want is much too large and complex for this. As your source grows in size, it will become harder and harder for even you to understand, to keep from losing yourself in if statements you need to have a game plan (see what i did there). Ask yourself "What am i trying to accomplish", then after you have a solid answer, ask "how am i going to accomplish it". And don't ever float your boat higher than the all mighty flow chart.

5.) Get to work. The fun part. Don't expect it to happen over night, matter of fact don't expect it within the year, but if you stay focused nothing is preventing you from accomplishment. Try to work on different aspects of the game at a time, as oppose to focusing on the entire game. Expect alot of bugs, errors, and hold-backs, even experienced, professional programmers have to deal with these. When you encounter one, work to fix it and don't let it over burden you, And of course remember the most important part, HAVE FUN! Programming can perhaps be one of the most frustrating hobbies man can bare, but trust me, there is no feeling quite like that eureka moment when you figure out what it was you did wrong.

Well i hope this helps, but remember its all about you. Education, Planning, then implementation is the path you will have to follow to meet your goal.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 September 2012 - 10:17 AM

Before you make any game, make sure you understand the language your are programming in fully. If you are using a game engine to build your game, make sure you have read all the documentation first! You need to know how to use the tools before you can make something with them.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Here to help.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 September 2012 - 07:11 AM

I agree with tlhIn`toq. (I had to copy and paste that, because there's no way I can say that. It was actually even a bit difficult to copy and paste.) :-)

I think C# is an excellent place to begin. I also agree that you need to do enough C# programs until you are confident in your understanding of how to use C#. I also agree that you should use a book or a class to learn C#. Tutorials are good, but they aren't as complete of an education as a class or even a book. A lot of time tutorials are written by someone who just knows how to do that one thing. Classes are usually taught by professional educators and they often write books.

I would just suggest that, once you feel like you know what you're doing in C# and writing your own C# programs, because you know that you understand what you're doing, then go dig into XNA. XNA is the game programming framework for C# and it will allow you to do the game you are describing. But you need to be good enough in C# to write and understand your own C# programs before tackling XNA. And like suggested, that's going to be through reading and doing many many example programs in C#.

I also agree with mmakrzem. You've got to know how to use the tools.

Oh. I almost forgot to mention that Visual C# 2010 and XNA 4.0 are both free downloads from Microsoft's website. Those two go together; C# 2012 will probably not work with XNA and C# 2008 goes with XNA 3.0. Install C# 2010 and then you can install XNA 4.0 after that.

You can also find XNA books to teach you game programming. You might also want to install Visual C#2008 and XNA 3.1 to make use of books and tutorials written for that version, since XNA 4.0 and XNA 3.0 are not compatible. You kind of have to know what you're doing to make code written for one work in the other.

RB Whitiker has a website that teaches C# and XNA, and I highly recommend going through his tutorials as your wait for you C# books to come in.

This post has been edited by BBeck: 30 September 2012 - 07:44 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 September 2012 - 12:44 PM

View PostBBeck, on 30 September 2012 - 08:11 AM, said:

I agree with tlhIn`toq. (I had to copy and paste that, because there's no way I can say that. It was actually even a bit difficult to copy and paste.) :-)

:P
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:35 PM

I'm finding this thread of interest because I'm in a (sort of) similar boat.

Two things I'd like to add: IF you know what sort of game you are going to be programming there may (or may not) be LOTS of modules, plugins, frameworks, engines, etc. already lying there waiting to be used. As an example I'm considering python as the language because pygame exists and one of my graphics tools (Blender) has very good python support. If I wasn't using Blender and wanted to use Irrlicht 3D, CrystalSpace or Ogre 3D, for example, I'd maybe be considering C++ instead.

Second, every budding game designer ultimately has at least the hint of a dream of one day selling a finished project. Visual C# Studio 2010 and XNA are a great possibility... but can you easily transition code you write with them from the "free" tools provided by MS to a marketable product? What are the licensing costs? This becomes especially important when you want to think about cross-platform, especially to console or mobile devices, or when considering one of the "free" commercial 3D engines like UDK, etc. No one wants to waste time learning a language (and it's tools) just to find out a bunch of licensing fees stand between what you have made and actually selling it.

Just my $0.02 worth.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1