3 Replies - 1493 Views - Last Post: 09 September 2012 - 04:47 PM

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Is hosting on a PC particularly risky?

Posted 08 September 2012 - 07:18 PM

I've created a website and am hosting it to the entire internet.
Just this phrase sounds like this action is risky but I'm not sure (I'm not experienced in anything related), so I figured the smartest thing to do is to ask.

If it is risky, what would you advice me to do in-order to keep my computer and network secure?

Some technical details - I'm using:
  • Microsoft IIS.
  • Custom port (not 80/8080).
  • Firewall: I've enabled the port on my router.
  • Firewall: I've enabled 2 inbound rules (TCP and UDP) for the port. It affects domain, private, and public.
  • I'm planning to reposit and update my softwares via this host (should it matter).

P.S I'm aware that hosting on a PC has very slow transfer rate, fortunately it doesn't obstruct my goals

This post has been edited by pokiaka: 08 September 2012 - 07:18 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Is hosting on a PC particularly risky?

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Is hosting on a PC particularly risky?

Posted 08 September 2012 - 10:09 PM

Hells yes there are risks. I wouldn't dump/host my box online that I use for my actual PC.. go cobble something together off of spare parts and crap from craigslist... Webservers shouldn't be personal PCs... The moment that box is online it is a target to be attacked.. that means pull off crap that isn't being used.. patch it up to date and then some.. shut down services not needed... permissions.. permissions.. permissions..

Microsoft has IIS scanners to help shore up machines but that doesn't cover it all. Expect the box to be pwned and abused.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 September 2012 - 09:05 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 08 September 2012 - 10:09 PM, said:

Hells yes there are risks. I wouldn't dump/host my box online that I use for my actual PC.. go cobble something together off of spare parts and crap from craigslist... Webservers shouldn't be personal PCs... The moment that box is online it is a target to be attacked.. that means pull off crap that isn't being used.. patch it up to date and then some.. shut down services not needed... permissions.. permissions.. permissions..

Microsoft has IIS scanners to help shore up machines but that doesn't cover it all. Expect the box to be pwned and abused.

Thanks :turned: , I'll shut it down and find an alternative.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 September 2012 - 04:47 PM

View Postpokiaka, on 08 September 2012 - 10:18 PM, said:

Some technical details - I'm using:
  • Microsoft IIS.
  • Custom port (not 80/8080).
  • Firewall: I've enabled the port on my route
  • Firewall: I've enabled 2 inbound rules (TCP and UDP) for the port. It affects domain, private, and public.
  • I'm planning to reposit and update my softwares via this host (should it matter).

If you are not hosting on port 80, how is the website useful? Scripts & bots will still use port scanners on your ip to find what ports you are hosting on, & from there it is not difficult at all to find out what protocal the port is serving.

With home based service, the largest issue is not security, so much as bandwidth. So the question of why still needs answering.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1