3 Replies - 1541 Views - Last Post: 29 September 2012 - 11:27 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Looking to make a Game from Scratch!

Posted 08 September 2012 - 09:18 PM

Hi, Im Charlie and I wanna Make a Texted based game similar to Mafia-warfare.com or MobsterDeath.com.....Im looking for Coders that can maybe help me out and others for advice ....honestly i have no clue where to start...I would love some help thanks
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Looking to make a Game from Scratch!

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Looking to make a Game from Scratch!

Posted 08 September 2012 - 09:38 PM

Please make sure you check out our resource threads:
Getting Stated with Game Programming
Web Based Game Essentials

These are big projects, especially for one person. If you don't know much about programming, you're in way over your head, and you're setting yourself up for failure. We also get a number of people looking for partners on "for fun/no pay projects" of this sort all the time. Most people tend to steer clear of partnering up and working on the games for these requests. We are happy to help you out if you run into trouble with your code though!
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 September 2012 - 10:21 AM

I'm not familiar with either of those games that you listed, is this an online text based game? If so you'll need to understand how to not only program game logic but also be familiar with web technologies to get your game online.

How much experience do you have programming?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dovakiin, Dragonborn
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 September 2012 - 11:27 PM

Hi Clay123

I am going off my gut feeling here and thinking you know either very little about programming / web development or you know nothing about the above. May I suggest for you MCCodes, a popular mafia text base game engine. MCCodes Website. They provide three (3) types of engines:

• MCCodes Free - A free stripped down version of the MCCodes engine
  • MCCodes 2.0 - A moddest engine with lots of features
  • MCCodes 2.5 - A redesigned version of 2.0 which comes with better development

Now you may be wondering who I am or why you should listen to me and the answer is this: I've been using PHP, MySQL/MySQLi, Javascript, HTML, CSS and AJAX for over 7 years now, even venturing into the PHP extension side of things lately among other things. My old company Dark Rising Studios used MCCodes 2.0 for a couple of years before venturing to our own engine. And I am now a developer at Nif Tools, where we develop tools for the Net Immerse File format (.nif) for games such as Skyrim, Oblivion, Fallout, Fallout:NV and many more.

Don't be shy too put effort or cash into this venture, it will get you a long way. Such as the license to use MCCodes 2.0, 2.5. or even a custom designed engine or web layout.

Hope it helps.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1