7 Replies - 3975 Views - Last Post: 28 September 2012 - 03:06 AM

• Hash != Encryption
  • member icon

• View blog

How to make a good logo?

Posted 09 September 2012 - 02:14 AM

I'm starting up an LLC with a rather largish name. I can't give the exact name of the LLC because I in no way ever want to associate my online alias with it ever, lest anyone discover the owner of it isn't an adult and has a rather... unprofessional history in forums. Lets just say it's "(5 characters) (9 characters) LLC".

Now I feel like I need to design a logo just so I have something to put in the header/on my products other than just plain old text. Do you guys have any suggestions/things to read that may help me? I've never done anything like this before and most of my sketches are limited to basic boxes/doodles.

EDIT: Also, is it important that a logo contain the whole name of my LLC? Can I get away with creating two logos, one large and one small, if they both contain similar fonts/colors/shapes? One would have the first 5-character word while the other would contain the whole name.

Thanks for your time.

This post has been edited by creativecoding: 09 September 2012 - 02:16 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: How to make a good logo?

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: How to make a good logo?

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:15 AM

I thought this might be relevant for you. Simple is always a good thing.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:58 AM

A logo should be simple. While color can be a factor, it should be equally recognizable in black and white.

A logo is NOT the name of the company in some fancy font. It can be. Think about Ford. Now, think about every other major auto manufacturer. Letters are common, like Honda, Volkswagen, Rolls Royce. However, some of the best logos have no text at all, like Mercedes Benz.

From the perspective of "I need a logo now" your best bet is probably the first letter theme in some kind of charge.

Good luck.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• Hash != Encryption
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 September 2012 - 10:24 AM

How about this?

http://puu.sh/13xas

(5-character) starts with an E.

For scalability it could just be a simple white on blue or white on black, right?

This post has been edited by creativecoding: 09 September 2012 - 10:52 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:18 AM

It's a reasonable stab, but the first thing that came to mind when I saw it was "Enron." If you have two letter to play with, use them both. Add extra elements. The goal is to be distinctive, but part of that is not evoking any other companies in particular.

Ultimately, though, if you like it, and no one can sue you for trademark infringement, you're done.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 September 2012 - 10:23 AM

just make one logo for your business.. else it depends on you you can make 2,3 logos for the same company..
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 September 2012 - 09:26 PM

I've designed some logos before for various organizations and such. First off, there are many different routes to take when designing one. These could be things that aim at, simplicity, creativity, abstract etc.

If your favoring simplicity, simply designing a logo that is only the name is something I would shoot for. If your going for modern look I would go with a Sans serif font. These are usually clean and neat looking, yet original. For a more classic look, I'd go with a Serif font. Lots of great examples at dafont.com
If you were wanting two different sized logos as you mentioned, one could be large -The whole name- and the other smaller one could just be the initials of the company with the same font.

Creativity could be simple or complex. Something simple could be a symbol that encompasses a trait you want your LCC to have and display. So maybe have a abstract geometric shape that surrounds or underlines the name of the company. Something more complex is really up to you what you want. Maybe designing a symbol that represents the name of the LCC.

And for abstract, this is where you can use your "artistic license" to do whatever pleases you. For example you could design a logo by combining things I mentioned above. The possibilities are end-less!!

Honestly anyone of these ideas could be many things, simple,creative and abstract! You just need to figure a path you want to go. Professionally I would go with something simple and modern looking by using a Sans Serif font. Maybe make the 5 character word smaller siting atop the longer character word with a eye pleasing color that isn't an eyesore.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 September 2012 - 03:06 AM

View Postbaavgai, on 09 September 2012 - 08:58 AM, said:

A logo should be simple. While color can be a factor, it should be equally recognizable in black and white.

A logo is NOT the name of the company in some fancy font. It can be. Think about Ford. Now, think about every other major auto manufacturer. Letters are common, like Honda, Volkswagen, Rolls Royce. However, some of the best logos have no text at all, like Mercedes Benz.

From the perspective of "I need a logo now" your best bet is probably the first letter theme in some kind of charge.

Good luck.

Hi Baavgai,

I am agree with all your points. In logo design, we shouldn't follow any rule but we have to concentrate on some main points:-
- It should be simple.
- Easy to remember.
- Easy to read.
- Use maximum two colors.
- Easy to understand it's meaning means should be descriptive.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1