1 Replies - 1392 Views - Last Post: 10 September 2012 - 07:23 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Web hosting. Creating a website? Need process to be explained.

Posted 10 September 2012 - 01:47 AM

hello folks,

I here by have an idea for making an social networking site.
I need to know how does webhosting works? You buy a domain? that means they take the load of people visiting the website?
or the cash we pay is only for the name?

Ok, incase, how much does a server cost? For instance I have more than 10,000 people on my website, what should be my server capacity?

I have no clue how things work.
If you can explain me everything, it would be a great help.

Thank you

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Web hosting. Creating a website? Need process to be explained.

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Web hosting. Creating a website? Need process to be explained.

Posted 10 September 2012 - 07:23 AM

You buy a domain?

You don't buy it as so much as you rent it. Godaddy.com or 1and1 are good places to check out domain names.. you can search to see if it is taken or what not. Assuming it's not add it to the cart, and enter your cc information in for the price. Usually about $11 or $12 a year.

that means they take the load of people visiting the website?or the cash we pay is only for the name?

With domains - no.. all they do is register that name with ICANN and make sure that when someone types in your address that translates to an IP address (which you will need to plug into your admin panel of your domain service).

So yes.. then you will need to purchase hosting. Some of the domain name sites offer hosting, but you can typically find it better (cheaper) elsewhere. asmallorange.com, a1whs.com, etc.. you can just search for 'hosting' in the subforum and see peoples thoughts.

Ok, incase, how much does a server cost?

It depends on the services... are you dedicated or shared? huge ol' bandwidth or not? I pay $20/year and plenty happy.. some people are $10/month..

For instance I have more than 10,000 people on my website, what should be my server capacity?

It depends on your site.. is it bloated with unoptimized graphics and file sizes? Are you transferring huge amounts of data back and forth for each call? You can sort of extrapolate what you may need but most hosting sites are great where you can upgrade the plan on the fly if you need more bandwidth.

When it comes down to it: monthly bandwidth, the number of databases allowed, space allocated, and their machine up times are important to compare.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1