• (2 Pages)
  • +

23 Replies - 9862 Views - Last Post: 13 September 2012 - 01:58 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Youtube series for C ?

Posted 10 September 2012 - 11:07 AM

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 10 September 2012 - 10:46 AM, said:

That's the python course. Excellent, but if you're looking for C, that's not it. The predecessor to that is the famous Structure and Interpretation course that Sussman and Abelson taught.

Here's a C course. I haven't taken it, but it looks more like what you're looking for.
Here's the followup to that one.

One question.. I can't seem to find anywhere to watch the course ? Am i blind or is it just darn hard to find it ?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 September 2012 - 11:10 AM

Oops, looks like they might not have filmed that one. Sorry.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 September 2012 - 11:12 AM

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 10 September 2012 - 11:10 AM, said:

Oops, looks like they might not have filmed that one. Sorry.

Damn. Maybe I'll take a look at that python course and see if i can learn anything worth while from that.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 September 2012 - 01:29 PM

So i had a topic back some time where i asked for a series on youtube from a university. And i found one. But I'm not 100% if i want to continue with it. Because of the length of every video. It'll be alright if the information shown is good and useful. And not just rubbish really.

Here is the overview of the series: http://www.youtube.c...B940F08B9773B9F

It teaches 'C'. And seem's to teach about Memory editing and location. And some what games.

Here is the little header text of this series written by the course leader Richard Buckland over at UNSW:

This is the introductory course for computer science at UNSW. This course consists of three strands: programming, systems, and general computer-science literacy. The programming strand is further divided into two parts. For the first half of the course we cover small scale programming, in the second half we look at how to effectively use teams to produce more substantial software. In the systems strand we will look at how computers work. Concentrating on microprocessors, memory, and machine code. In the literacy strand we will look at topics drawn from: computing history, algorithms, WWW programming, ethics and law, cryptography and security, and other topics of general interest. The strands will be covered in an intermingled fashion. The following course, "CS2: Data Structures and Algorithms", will be recorded and posted in semester 2 of 2009.

Then name of the course is : CS1: Higher Computing - Richard Buckland UNSW

Is this useful to watch ? Or only useful when you are like at the place in his clas ? This question may be stupid lol, But I'm been thinking about this for day's without really getting an conclusion.

Anything on this would be helpful!

Thanks a lot in advance!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#20 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 September 2012 - 01:32 PM

Is this useful to watch ? Or only useful when you are like at the place in his clas ? This question may be stupid lol, But I'm been thinking about this for day's without really getting an conclusion.

Odd question, if you spent a day thinking about it you could have easily spent event half that day checking out the video yourself to see if your learning style gels well with the presenation. (You know.. just say'n.)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 September 2012 - 02:32 PM

Funny how you mention this in your blog. Sorry if i got you upset somehow. And i think we misunderstand eachother. I have seen some of the content of the videos. But they are long and there is a lot off information given there which i see no use in. So i wa asking if these series somehow is more supirior then the other series by freelancers around on youtube.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 September 2012 - 03:41 PM

Whether or not its useful to watch depends what your goals are and what you're expecting to get by watching them. You cannot learn to be a programmer just by watching videos, or even by physically attending lectures - for that you absolutely need to be writing code, trying examples/exercises and solving problems.
I haven't seen the videos myself, so I have no idea of their quality. They might help you if used them alongside books, tutorials, reference websites or even another course; but as with anything which is free, you nearly always get exactly what you pay for.

Whatever you do will take time - lots of it. Computer Science is not a small subject which you can learn in a few weeks or even months; even universities which teach it to students full-time over a period of 3-4 years can barely touch the tip of the iceberg.

This is the reason Uni Graduates often tend to start out in low-grade/junior engineering jobs for the first few years while they become adept at their chosen area within the IT profession, whether that is software engineering, networking, databases, electronics/hardware, etc. The only graduates who get more senior jobs straight out of university are those who had already spent many years learning/applying their craft before they had even started a course (And therefore aren't really "typical" graduates if they already have plenty of experience in other projects).
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 September 2012 - 01:05 PM

These are basically duplicate threads, so I'm going to merge them.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Saucy!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 September 2012 - 01:58 PM

So i had a topic back some time where i asked for a series on youtube from a university. And i found one.

No, YOU didn't find one...you were pointed to it, multiple times, here at Dream.In.Code.

I want a series that are like how classes are at universities.

But I'm not 100% if i want to continue with it.Because of the length of every video

"I want university lectures" then "Oh, they're too long". Attention Deficit much? You think university lectures are bite-sized? Get your head on straight.

modi123_1 had it exactly right in his blog.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +