8 Replies - 2790 Views - Last Post: 14 January 2013 - 01:15 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

What do you think about Alienware?

Posted 11 September 2012 - 05:14 AM

What do you think about Alienware?

My friend has the M17x and it runs programs flawlessly. I was considering it when I get the money, but I want to here your opinions.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: What do you think about Alienware?

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Re: What do you think about Alienware?

Posted 11 September 2012 - 05:19 AM

I am more of an asus type of guy. I am not sure of alienware especially ever since Dell started to sell them.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• .. does not guess solutions
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 September 2012 - 05:35 AM

They're pretty. But more recently it doesn't matter who the manufacturer is, the cost of premium processors have come down in price with the i# range of procs from Intel.

This means that where Alienware used to be somewhat unique by putting amazing specs onto machines, it's becoming more irrelevant. I'm pretty sure you'd find any machine would "run programs flawlessly" nowadays unless you're on some seriously tight budget.

The thing you need to look for is build quality, of which Samsung/Sony/Asus machines all have, for a fraction of the cost of an Alienware box. Unless you want pretty LEDs, of course.

This post has been edited by RudiVisser: 11 September 2012 - 05:36 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 September 2012 - 05:11 AM

View PostRudiVisser, on 11 September 2012 - 05:35 AM, said:

They're pretty. But more recently it doesn't matter who the manufacturer is, the cost of premium processors have come down in price with the i# range of procs from Intel.

This means that where Alienware used to be somewhat unique by putting amazing specs onto machines, it's becoming more irrelevant. I'm pretty sure you'd find any machine would "run programs flawlessly" nowadays unless you're on some seriously tight budget.

The thing you need to look for is build quality, of which Samsung/Sony/Asus machines all have, for a fraction of the cost of an Alienware box. Unless you want pretty LEDs, of course.

I am a big Samsung guy. I love there phones and TVs. I was thinking about getting a reliable laptop and I was wondering which was the best provider. Asus, Acer, Sony, Samnsung, Dell, etc.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• .. does not guess solutions
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 September 2012 - 05:17 AM

Well I just got a Samsung NCP550-A02UK (I think that's the right model!) and I can heavily vouch for it.

i5 3210M
6GB RAM
1TB HDD
JBL Premium Sound (which sounds amazing FYI)

Don't know what crapware they bundle on it since I never turned it on before a format, but it runs great with Windows 8 Pro ;)

Tomorrow my RAM sticks and SSD arrives at which point it will have 16GB RAM and a 256GB SSD, the 1TB disk will be cradled for data, and it will literally be a super machine.

Oh and yes, the build quality is brilliant, better than a Vaio and anything Asus/Dell could produce, and it's sexy as shit too. I think the only thing that contends on looks would be the HP Envy.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:42 AM

Alienware, imo, is high-end gaming laptops, & are worth about half of what they cost.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:07 PM

From what I know, they are good machines. At the same time, they aren't good enough to justify the price. Like the guys above me said, there are cheaper and equal/better alternatives.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:28 AM

I have owned several Alienware computers before, including the m17x. I personally would recommend you go elsewhere for a gaming machine. Since Dell began selling them, the problems have been rampant. I think I had a call to customer support every other week for something new happening with the hardware. Granted I build computers and know hardware, I couldn't touch it. Why? Because it would void the warranty with Dell, and then if anything happened, I'd be out of luck.

You can buy the parts used in Alienware for about half that price. If not half, then even less. If you're interested in a gaming laptop, look into an Asus. I've never had a single problem with my Asus ROG G74. Asus is overall a great company too.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:15 AM

The funny thing about Alienware is that it appeared that Dell purchased the line to add some of the Alienware features into the Dell Precision line. The only real issue with the Alienware line that I have seen have been the result of people not knowing the line and how to take care of it. The line has a number of high speed fans that suck up every lint particle and spec of dust. I would figure that about 95 percent of the problems that I have seen with the Alienware line could have been prevented if the customers would blow air into the laptops from the back. This would prevent the heat sinks for the video cards and cpu from getting clogged. I have seen a temperature drop of as much as 20 degrees when this has been done. I have seen a dramatic number of problems with the Alienware line where the video cards and the cpus heatsinks were clogged to the point where air couldn't flow through the heat sinks, this basically causes the machine to cook. When I showed the owners how to clean the heat sinks by blowing air into the back of the laptop every once and a while, the number of problems that I saw on the laptops fail off to just a few and were actually very rare.
I have a friend of mine that bought one and loved it, of course he blows his out every once and a while. He actually just bought another one and gave his old one to his daughter.
I have another friend that had one that he had gotten while working at a Pawn shop. He loved it so much that he went out and bought a new one and gave the old one to his son.
I have 3 couples that I know that each loved their first alienware laptops and then purchased a 2nd alienware just so that each of the couples could play against each other while playing their online games.

Which ever laptop you get just take care of it and learn it's querks.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1