5 Replies - 989 Views - Last Post: 18 September 2012 - 07:28 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Security Software free vs pay

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:17 AM

Not sure if this is the right forum for this question but I will put it out there. I was wondering if free antivirus software like avast and Microsoft security essentials is as good as the pay for programs like Norton.I have Avast on my computer now. Are there better free programs or should I pony up the money and buy something like Norton?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Security Software free vs pay

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Security Software free vs pay

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:29 AM

Ever heard the phrase "You get what you pay for" ?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 11 September 2012 - 01:26 PM

View Postdsgoodwin82, on 11 September 2012 - 10:17 AM, said:

Not sure if this is the right forum for this question but I will put it out there. I was wondering if free antivirus software like avast and Microsoft security essentials is as good as the pay for programs like Norton.I have Avast on my computer now. Are there better free programs or should I pony up the money and buy something like Norton?

Anti virus in general is pretty unreliable, paid or unpaid. The only free one i have a lot of experience with is AVG, and it has failed me. Anti-viruses simply look for certain signatures that viruses have, and if the virus doesnt necessarily follow it, the AV has a hard time picking it up.

If you're worried about viruses, get off windows. Viruses exist for every platform, but windows is just insanely littered with it for numerous reasons (none of which I feel like getting into). You're way less likely to get a virus on unix or unix like operating systems.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 September 2012 - 01:35 PM

View PostNecroWinter, on 11 September 2012 - 02:26 PM, said:

If you're worried about viruses, get off windows. Viruses exist for every platform, but windows is just insanely littered with it for numerous reasons (none of which I feel like getting into). You're way less likely to get a virus on unix or unix like operating systems.

Adding to that... Use a good firewall. Isolate yourself from the internet as much as possible.

I use VMware to create a virtual machine that runs on top of my (very sparce) host OS. It gives me a layer of invisibility because my working machine is not visible to the world. It also restores my VM OS to that last snapshot on each launch so it is the same as the day I installed and declared it 'good'. If I run an update or make a deliberate change to the config, then I take a new snapshot.

Keep in mind that viruses are running code. Jpegs don't execute viruses. So stop installing pirated software and all those free pieces of crap for animated fireplace wallpapers and so on. Only install from trusted, FACTORY PURCHASED sources. If you use Photoshop for example, buy it don't trust a pirated copy.

You can also run more than one anti-virus program so long as they don't fight one another.

This post has been edited by tlhIn`toq: 11 September 2012 - 01:37 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 11 September 2012 - 01:41 PM

View PosttlhIn`toq, on 11 September 2012 - 01:35 PM, said:

View PostNecroWinter, on 11 September 2012 - 02:26 PM, said:

Adding to that... Use a good firewall. Isolate yourself from the internet as much as possible.

I use VMware to create a virtual machine that runs on top of my (very sparce) host OS. It gives me a layer of invisibility because my working machine is not visible to the world. It also restores my VM OS to that last snapshot on each launch so it is the same as the day I installed and declared it 'good'. If I run an update or make a deliberate change to the config, then I take a new snapshot.

Keep in mind that viruses are running code. Jpegs don't execute viruses. So stop installing pirated software and all those free pieces of crap for animated fireplace wallpapers and so on. Only install from trusted, FACTORY PURCHASED sources. If you use Photoshop for example, buy it don't trust a pirated copy.

You can also run more than one anti-virus program so long as they don't fight one another.

This is quite true. Firewalls are essential, and piracy is a major source for malware. A lot of the cracks that people download are in fact, rootkits. If you want to learn how to gain access into other peoples machines without much effort, making cracks for programs is a pretty reliable way to go...

Another point to the piracy issue, if a person doesnt have money, open source software is usually really good. For example,if you cant afford MS office (or dont want it, like me :P) just use open office, its largely compatible with MS office anyway
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Dic Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 September 2012 - 07:28 AM

** Topic moved to Software Support -> Windows **

As for the question, AVG is absolute crap, & shouldn't be used as an example of 'av software' imo. 9 of the 10 machines that come into my shop for virus cleaning are running AVG. For free software, we recommend Avast, & we sell Comodo (which comes with a $500 warranty & free remote support).

Anything else free isn't bad, but in my experience AVG is worthless.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1