5 Replies - 1770 Views - Last Post: 12 September 2012 - 07:29 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Final year project about cryptography or astronomy?

Posted 11 September 2012 - 11:44 AM

As per title, this semester I have to propose my idea on final year project. I'm thinking of combining astronomy with my CS major. But I couldn't think of any project that are related with both fields. Maybe a computer simulation of any space objects, stellarium-like program? So I'd like to know some other ideas that I could do for my FYP. Perhaps not too high level but I don't really care, as long as there are enough resources out there or the internet, maybe I can do it.

If not astronomy, I'd also love to study about cryptography and have it in my project. So I'm asking you guys if you have any ideas or tips about this project? Which is more relevant in terms of future market, etc?

For cryptography, I'm thinking of Elliptical Curve Cryptosystem. Fancy name yeah, but i'd really love to study this thing.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Final year project about cryptography or astronomy?

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Final year project about cryptography or astronomy?

Posted 11 September 2012 - 11:47 AM

It seems like a pretty straight forward decision.. on one hand you have no project ideas, and on the other you have a project idea and seemed fairly jazzed about the material.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 11 September 2012 - 01:47 PM

I share your enthusiasm for both subjects, though, I think it would be easier to do something on cryptography, as it has a lot of applications in computer science and programming.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Blue Sprat
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 September 2012 - 05:16 PM

Something easier may not be the best choice, something you enjoy for your final year project, even if it seems difficult, is a much better idea. Something you are enthusiastic about will keep you motivated and turn out a good project.

You're thinking of doing cryptography because it has a lot of applications? But do you like it? You're probably going to work on it solidly for ~9 months or more, if you make a choice, you're going to have to stick with it.

This post has been edited by Simown: 11 September 2012 - 05:26 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 September 2012 - 05:45 PM

View PostNecroWinter, on 11 September 2012 - 03:47 PM, said:

I share your enthusiasm for both subjects, though, I think it would be easier to do something on cryptography, as it has a lot of applications in computer science and programming.

Necro aren't you a high school student? For some perspective a final year project for non CS majors is a 50 page research paper. If you do something that you don't love or at least enjoy you won't finish it, you will likely fail if you do finish it.

There are exceptions but not a single paper my professor has recieved that the student didnt enjoy the subject has ever passed, and its not just this single professor. The view is shared by quite a few in several different schools.

As per the topic I'd suggest doing what you are going to enjoy. Otherwise you'll likely end up quitting and giving up.

Edit: upon looking up another topic you are not a high school student, My bad. Still my post holds ground as to a topic.

This post has been edited by Utael: 11 September 2012 - 05:50 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 12 September 2012 - 07:29 AM

View PostUtael, on 11 September 2012 - 05:45 PM, said:

View PostNecroWinter, on 11 September 2012 - 03:47 PM, said:

Necro aren't you a high school student? For some perspective a final year project for non CS majors is a 50 page research paper. If you do something that you don't love or at least enjoy you won't finish it, you will likely fail if you do finish it.

There are exceptions but not a single paper my professor has recieved that the student didnt enjoy the subject has ever passed, and its not just this single professor. The view is shared by quite a few in several different schools.

As per the topic I'd suggest doing what you are going to enjoy. Otherwise you'll likely end up quitting and giving up.

Edit: upon looking up another topic you are not a high school student, My bad. Still my post holds ground as to a topic.

For cryptography, I'm thinking of Elliptical Curve Cryptosystem. Fancy name yeah, but i'd really love to study this thing

The OP clearly showed that he has an interest in this topic. So he should go for it.

yeah, I havent been to highschool in nearly 10 years, thats a strange thing to think in the first place, I usually get the opposite, people thinking im significantly older than I actually am.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1