Tips on tutoring first time programmers?

• (2 Pages)
  • +

15 Replies - 1755 Views - Last Post: 14 September 2012 - 02:06 PM

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Tips on tutoring first time programmers?

Posted 14 September 2012 - 02:06 PM

View Postcarnivroar, on 14 September 2012 - 03:36 PM, said:

View PostWelly, on 14 September 2012 - 12:25 PM, said:

ex 3: if/else and standard output.
Make a tic-tac-toe ascii program with AI to play against.

Lol, we're talking about someone who has been programming for 2 weeks. Even I wouldn't know how to implement AI (though I made a nice tic tac toe program before).

Not an AI, but they could probably work out an algorithm for best play in the near future, and they could probably code it. Start them out with one of the subtraction games, there's simple algorithms for those.

For example, start with 21 matchsticks, you may take 1,2,3, or 4 on your turn. The player who takes the last one loses. That's a simple one to code - there's no board! - and the algorithm is not hard to come up with.

Thanks all for the great advice. Does tutoring look good on a resume? I've been offered an official position as a tutor at my school - I have to decide between that or research with a physics professor. Or maybe I can handle both at he same time.

Resume is about spin. Tutoring is evidence of a few good things, including engagement and interest in programming and people, ability to communicate effectively and efficiently, and presumably a certain degree of skill. Or at least, you can sell it that way.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +