• (2 Pages)
  • +

25 Replies - 1818 Views - Last Post: 06 October 2012 - 02:54 AM

• Pirate King
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: HDD dead or something else?

Posted 13 September 2012 - 12:49 PM

Download and burn a linux livecd distribution. As a matter of fact TinyCoreLinux, as it will boot quickly and is a very small download and install (you may even use a usb stick if you have one available and the laptop supports boot from usb). If you get the desktop, then you know nothing is wrong with the laptop itself. To check the harddrive, mount it and see if it responds. If Windows is attempting to install and it stops somewhere, then it may be writing to disk and get caught in some sort of failure. You can't figure this out with Windows though. You need some sort of OS (which doesn't install) so that you can test the drive.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 13 September 2012 - 12:50 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 13 September 2012 - 11:05 AM, said:

Hmmm.. I would almost barter ya something for a drive.. ;) Though 3tb might be a bit much for WindowsXP.

you already said you weren't going to get a 3 TB drive anyways, but I'll state what i think modi was hinting at jsut in case someone else tries it.

WinXP only properly identifies up to 2TB drives. You will have VERY funky things happening if you try to use the drive.

there ARE ways to make things work, but its an unnecessary pain. if you want more details, just google '3tb hard drives and windows xp'

no such problem on Win7 for sure and very sure no such problem for WinVista.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• or something bad...real bad.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 September 2012 - 03:51 PM

Once you do get the drive up and mounted on a *nix distro, look at the diagnostic test results from the S.M.A.R.T. component on the drive (if it is present/enabled). Here is a good reference for running the tests.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 September 2012 - 07:23 PM

Have you upgraded the system lately? Any new BIOS changes?

I agree that it's probably not a virus since the OS installation fails. I suggest running SMART as well, if you can, and also running Memtest. Memory errors can cause random hangs, but apparently it can trigger reboots if Windows is configured to do so. If you've got an extra power supply laying around, pop that in. Bad power will definitely cause reboots. I too have had an HDD fail on me with random restarts and without sounds of mechanical failure, so that itself may ultimately be the culprit.

This post has been edited by blackcompe: 13 September 2012 - 07:27 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 September 2012 - 02:20 AM

View Postblackcompe, on 13 September 2012 - 07:23 PM, said:

Have you upgraded the system lately? Any new BIOS changes?

I agree that it's probably not a virus since the OS installation fails. I suggest running SMART as well, if you can, and also running Memtest. Memory errors can cause random hangs, but apparently it can trigger reboots if Windows is configured to do so. If you've got an extra power supply laying around, pop that in. Bad power will definitely cause reboots. I too have had an HDD fail on me with random restarts and without sounds of mechanical failure, so that itself may ultimately be the culprit.

No BIOS upgrade and I installed a month ago windows xp on this same system and he never got problems until now.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 September 2012 - 05:55 AM

Pull one of the sticks of memory, then pull the other. Try memory from another known-working system. Are there any I/O cards (video/network)? Try pulling them as well.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 14 September 2012 - 06:05 AM

After thinkign about this for a while, I remembered this happened to one of my systems. The solution was a new HD because the old one had some sectors that failed. It gave all the same symptoms as you described and after testing everything, that was the only item left.
Though before you buy anything, take some of your other computer parts (from another sytem that works) and swap out items one at a time until you can see which part has failed.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 September 2012 - 05:45 PM

As #16 grimpirate Said earlier; Get a ubuntu live-cd or flashdrive and run that. The live cd is a memory-loaded OS that can be used to check the hdd. If it cant find the HDD or if it detects any problems with it then try to change the hdd and see if the problem re-occurs.

If the problem is still there then try to pull out any peferials and non-vital cards. Try to get the pc to run on the most basic hardware configuration you can (one RAM stick, integrated graphix, no soundcard etc) and see if the problem still exists. If not, then slowly try to re-instate its former hardware making reboot tests along the way.

If it still exists, try to get a new motherboard and see if that's the problem.

And contineu in this matter untill you find the problem :)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:31 PM

This sounds like a power supply that is about to die.

If I read some of your(OP) posts right, it restarts when in safe mode or normal mode also.

You've also mentioned that you've had power outages over time in your area.

If I had that computer here with me, I'd hook up a power supply of the same wattage or higher and try again.

I've fixed a few computers with this random restart issue by replacing the power supply (tested with a spare I had before getting the replacement).

Hopefully you have another on hand that you can test this without laying out the money first.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 September 2012 - 10:13 PM

I went again with another windows xp cd, this time this was a SP3 and it worked. I'm still not sure what problem it had but it seems to be resolved for now. Thank you everybody for the help!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 October 2012 - 02:54 AM

Connect Your Hard Disk Drive To An Other Desktop Computer. And Then Trying To Format this Hard Disk Drive Through Disk Management.
And Also You Will Try To Format Your Hard Disk With The Help Of Window98 CD.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +