4 Replies - 2186 Views - Last Post: 16 September 2012 - 07:37 PM

• = -1
  • member icon

• View blog

Project fatigue - how do you manage it?

Posted 13 September 2012 - 10:18 PM

In the time that I've been in the IT industry, I've felt project fatigue from time-to-time, especially with long or difficult work. What I mean is, when you've been working on something for so long that it becomes painful just opening up your IDE and looking at the half-finished work, whether it be because it is extremely complex, beyond your comfort zone, or simply a mountain of work. I feel this with projects at work, and also personal projects, and I'm sure a lot of other people do to.

I generally try to break down what I'm working on into small and easily consumable parts that can be knocked over within a short period of time. I'm also a fan of taking quite a few short breaks during the day, stepping away from the screen to give my mind a chance to zone out for a little while and clear my head. In fact, some of my best problem-solving has come from not thinking about the problem, but letting my mind relax, then it (sometimes) magically pops into my head.

How do you manage project fatigue? What gets you through the day?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 4
  • +

Replies To: Project fatigue - how do you manage it?

• Monomania
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Project fatigue - how do you manage it?

Posted 13 September 2012 - 10:30 PM

Sometimes I think to myself "just do it!" even if the work is too tedious or too stupid. Then I let myself go on autopilot while music plays on my earbuds and before I know it I'm done. My earbuds are in my ears the whole time I'm at work. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 September 2012 - 12:19 AM

I totally recogniye your situation.

For large and tedious projects, I usually cut up the pieces such that they are still interrelated with eachother. For example, I currently have a University project which consist of implementing a new control algorithm for a Cessna Citation II. So I dissected this problem in: working on the joystick (calibrating and setting it), implementing the state estimation algorithm, etc. I usually tend to split the pieces such that they are not "random" pieces I need to code, they have coherence. For me it just makes more sense to do that way (May sound kinda vague, so I hope it's understandable)
Next to my dissection of the problem I sometimes just go outside and take a strawl when I am having a 'mindlock' situation (which mostly occurs when the problem is too tedious and complex).
Even when I am at my office, I sometimes just take a little walk in the building to clear my mind. Get some coffee, talk with colleagues at the coffee table, all helps to refresh yourself before you get back to work.

But for me, the solution usually pops after I leave the office building... (And of course I can smack myself for it of not thinking earlier about it)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 September 2012 - 03:26 PM

I'm self-employed, so a lot of the time I have multiple projects I am working on simultaneously. I think this helps me a lot because if I get stuck on a project, or tired of working too much with the same code, I just switch to a different one for a bit. I know this probably doesn't help a lot of people, but I like the similar solution of just breaking your project up into different parts. That solution can also help a lot with project management/organization if you do it right.

So yeah, my suggestion. If you have time, keep a side project going for yourself. For example one project I'm considering starting for myself is creating a game engine from scratch. Now, its going to take me a while for what I want to do, but it will keep me from tearing my hair out if a project gets stuck. If its important that it makes you money as well, there are always opportunities out there to make money if you are an experienced programmer.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 September 2012 - 07:37 PM

Everyone needs a break once in a whie but I agree with music. Not to loud but a little bit just a little bit. I also tend to drink some mio energy nce in a while to improve mental focus.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1