1 Replies - 294 Views - Last Post: 14 September 2012 - 11:13 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Strange Estranged Stranger

Posted 14 September 2012 - 11:02 AM

Ahoy!

I typically announce in any first post to a given online community that my name is Jake, I am a novice programmer (by hobby and scholastic interest rather than by profession), and I like caffeine in just about any form - predominantly coffee.

I'm a nerd; I play M:tG, DnD, Shadowrun, WoD, Call of Cthulhu (may he rest his own soul), and a couple of custom tabletop settings as well as GW2, WoW, occasionally MapleStory (don't hate!) and anything else that sticks out.

What brought me to DIC is that for all the interest I've had in improving my paltry programming ability I've generally tried to improve myself solo or by schoolwork... well schoolwork's not cutting it and picking what to learn in what order by my onesy has been daunting. So I was browsing for examples of web crawlers as I have no clue how they work and noticed that all the links I was looking at were forum discussions and didn't quite answer my questions.

So I thought to myself, "Dang, if I were part of a forum community I could just ask the exact questions I'd like to and be on with development!" ... And therein lay the solution.

So now, two days and a bit of knowledge later, I decided to try and find a forum community. I solved this, as many a great programmer has done, with Google. DIC was the first name that produced a forum that looked professional and populated, and even better appeared predominantly for those interested in C#, the only language I've got any practice in.

Lucky you all!

Avoiding further addition to this short wall of text, let me simply say that I'm looking forward to "meeting" people and hope I can contribute to the community at some point!

Jake

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Strange Estranged Stranger

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Strange Estranged Stranger

Posted 14 September 2012 - 11:13 AM

Welcome!

make sure to read the forum rules, terms of use, the ghosted text in the comment input box, etc..

Lucky you all!

ooooh... all sorts of tingily and foreboding! ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1