7 Replies - 4120 Views - Last Post: 18 September 2012 - 07:42 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Using Computer Science to help the less fortunate.

Posted 14 September 2012 - 06:25 PM

Hi. New guy here.

Computing technology is something that is most prominently benefitial to first world nations. In first world nations, the computer allows us to easily find information and communicate. Many in third world nations may not be able to first hand see the benefits of computers but they can still benefit indirectly. But there are also many other less fortunate people who can benefit from technology and computers.

Currently, I'm a high school senior intent on majoring in Computer Science. I also have a love for helping others espcially the less fortunate.

For a person with computer science education, how can said person use such knowledge for teh benefit of the less fortunate and/or those in third-world nations? What sort of masters degree following a Computer Science Bachelor's degree would be helpful to pursue such goals of using computer science education for humanitarian purposes?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Using Computer Science to help the less fortunate.

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Using Computer Science to help the less fortunate.

Posted 14 September 2012 - 11:39 PM

Just a way I personally am helping is I am setting up an app for a local charity to help raise some money for a good cause. Just an idea to help reach out to better the community. It takes a little creative thinking but a lot can be accomplished with a good heart
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 tlhIn`toq  Icon User is online

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 September 2012 - 07:38 AM

POPULAR

View Postj814wong, on 14 September 2012 - 07:25 PM, said:

What sort of masters degree following a Computer Science Bachelor's degree would be helpful to pursue such goals of using computer science education for humanitarian purposes?

There are numerous threads here basically pointing out that degrees are barely worth the paper they are printed on.

It really doesn't matter what degree you have. A person with a degree that can't *imagine* and be creative won't create new things and that includes envision new ways to help others. A creative person without a degree can still look a problem in one area, see a solution in another country and find a way to marry up the two.

In order to fix a problem you first need to understand it. Try joining the Peace Corps and work in these nations you want to help for a couple years. Then see what you can create to help them; technology based or not.

As for technology helping *in* third world nations... Its a hard thing when there is no money. Another thread here brought this up when just fixing some guys hard drive was an issue. I said by a new one, they're cheap. But in Romania a $150 3tb drive amounted to the father's entire salary. How much *can* technology help in a place where just setting up one laptop is a family's entire income for the year?

It might be hard to hear, and not mesh with your plans but most of those nations have bigger problems than making technology available or in some way helping them. Clean water, shelter, food and not being dragged out of your bed and killed for being part of the wrong tribe are often luxuries.

This might not be the politically correct thing to say but I've never been known for being PC:
Worry about your own neighbors first. There are tens of thousands of people right here in the USA that go hungry. Our own vets that fought for our freedoms living on the streets or can't get medical needs attended to. Inner city kids that can't get a decent education. Our government is happy to build a new school in Afghanistan but no in Acron Ohio. We drop food to Dungyville Africa but not Detroit where every major grocery chain has pulled out. Doctors Without Borders seems to have forgotten there is a border between Illinois and Wisconsin and plenty of poor kids there that need help. The United states is at a breaking point financially as it is. Be part of bringing America up to its former glory before it becomes a fallen nation like so many others and you find yourself suddenly *in* the same situation you are trying to help other out of. When all the problems right here at home are solved, then we can turn our attention to others.
Was This Post Helpful? 5
  • +
  • -

#4 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 September 2012 - 01:59 PM

View PosttlhIn`toq, on 15 September 2012 - 10:38 AM, said:

Our government is happy to build a new school in Afghanistan but no in Acron Ohio.

Do you maybe mean Akron Ohio? Not that long ago the Kennmore middle school got a huge facelift, & Ellot also was torn down & given a new building. But you are so right about Detroit. I remember reading when the last Lion store pulled out, & now there are some parts of the city that go without street lights.

cite
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 tlhIn`toq  Icon User is online

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 September 2012 - 02:13 PM

The school was given a face list. Ok. Who paid for it? I'd bet $20 it wasn't the federal government. Most likely, like 90% of school district building and improvements, it was paid for by a bond proposal against an increase in property taxes for the homes within its district. In other words it was probably paid for by citizens via local taxes.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 September 2012 - 02:16 PM

Hmm yes.. that's typically how collectives work - local things get local money and inter/national things get Fed money.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 September 2012 - 02:17 PM

Yeah, you're right, it likely was the tax payers. I guess I was thinking you meant they didn't build schools in Akron. I fail at multi-tasking.

Though Akron did just get a federal grant for $1.5 million for hiring more police & fire staff.
cite.

I'm not on a vendetta to disprove your point. Just thought it was awkward you picked Akron Ohio, & thought I'd talk about some local news :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 September 2012 - 07:42 AM

I would say that getting a masters/Doctorate isn't really what you'll want to do. Find out a problem that faces these third world countries and see if you can solve it. Hell, there was a science competition recently where a girl invented a way to do EKG via a portable device that can send the results in real-time over the cell networks to doctors all over the world. She doesn't have an advanced degree or anything, she just saw a need and researched how to do it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1