6 Replies - 1472 Views - Last Post: 22 September 2012 - 08:09 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

to the successful programmers, would you mind sharing the path u took?

Posted 16 September 2012 - 02:46 PM

Hello world, I am an aspiring c++ Programmer and am trying to turn it into a career. Right now I own and run a franchise, but its not something that I want to do for the rest of my life, I dream in code. I am 25, so going back to school isn't really an option. And from owning and running my own business, I really would like to own and run my own programming company. I am not too fond of working for someone else after knowing the freedom and responsibilities of running your own. Right now I am reading programming books consistently as much as I can.

So I am wondering if all I have to have a good grasp of the language and then you should be able to make a living off of it, or is the only way going back to school?

Thanks for any replies, sorry if this is in the wrong area, wasn't sure where this should have been placed.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: to the successful programmers, would you mind sharing the path u took?

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: to the successful programmers, would you mind sharing the path u took?

Posted 16 September 2012 - 03:01 PM

Some topics to check out:

HTTP://Www.dreaminco...raduate-school/
http://www.dreaminco...its-printed-on/
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 September 2012 - 04:50 PM

I had worked in IT for 20 years as a Systems Administrator. I had always wanted to program but never was in the right place at the right time. After many years of not programming I bought three books which changed my life.

Murach's VISUAL BASIC
Murach's ADO.NET for VB
Murach's ASP.net for VB

I have have now been a programmer for three years and doubled my salary. I owe everything to these books. I can honestly say that about 90% of everything I do on a daily basis come from these books.

I am now learning C# from basically the same three books for C#. I am actually finding it pretty easy to do so as these books are almost identically in what they teach for both languages.

When I get to where I can do all the same things in both of these languages I am going to tackle Java.

I have done all this on my own with no classroom training and it has been an awesome experience.

Derrell Gore
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 September 2012 - 06:04 PM

Thanks for the replies!

Derrell, do you mind sharing how you doubled your salary? was it connections through your 20 years of IT, or did you start from fresh, if so, how did you tackle that?

Thanks, I am just trying to get as much information on this to light this dark, undiscovered path I am going on.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Monomania
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 September 2012 - 06:11 PM

I think it's because of the pay in the IT field, not with connections. Am I right?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 September 2012 - 07:46 PM

Actually when I made the decision to start programming I made less money than I did as a Systems Administrator. But I used that time to get all the experience I could and just waited for a new job to come up. It took finding a new job to make more money. But normally a programmer makes more than a System Admin where I live.

I made some demo programs and at the interviews I handed them cd's with examples of everything I knew how to do. I think this played a big part in them giving me the job with not much work experience as a programmer.

I also think my background in networking helps alot as well...most programmers I had known before knew very little about that side of things.

I just wish now I had pursued my dream job years ago....don't get stuck if it isn't what you really want to do.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 September 2012 - 08:09 PM

Just thought would add this although this may not be true for you...probably depends on where you are.

Everything I learned in college other than how to think logically is useless in the work world....If thinking logically is something you learn....I actually believe that is something you are born with.

I'll also go a step further and say that if you think what you are learning in college is useful it probably isn't. Surere it is fun but when you get out of school reality is going to slap you in the face real quick.

At least where I live no company uses C++ or JAVA. They are nothing more than something for us to play with. Primarily all companies here use VB.NET or C#.Net. More emphasis is what databases you know. Usually it is going to be SQL, SYBASE, or ORACLE. You'll get furthur in the work world by knowing how to code stored procedures than what you can do in a primary language.

The other thing you need to know is how to create reports. Usually thi is either with Crystal Reports or SQL REPORTING SEVICES. Most places around here are leaving Crystal Reports and going to the latter. Personally I hate creating reports but it is probably what I spend most of my time doing.

Programming for a company is nothing like what you are doing in school. I would even go as far as to say unless you are moving to California it is unlikely you will be programming games or anything fun.

But I also will say with the advent of Tablets and apps...there is an oppurtunity for anyone to come up with a unique idea and make a lot of money....but I think that is easier said than done.

I keep dreaming....
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1