4 Replies - 631 Views - Last Post: 17 September 2012 - 08:34 AM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Two web projects in one solution

Posted 16 September 2012 - 07:31 PM

There are two of us creating different projects which are related to each other in some way. We only have one server URL though in which to publish the application so we thought that one should add the other's project in his own solution then have a button or menu to redirect to the other's page.

For example, I have a default.aspx in project1. I have a button in that page that needs to open default.aspx of project2 in a new window. How do we do this?

Also, how can I publish the two websites in the same server URL? Is this possible?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Two web projects in one solution

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Two web projects in one solution

Posted 16 September 2012 - 08:48 PM

Sounds like you need to use a version system to maintain all of that. Subversion is something I'm comfortable with but there are a lot more out there. This would cut down on a lot of future problems as well as the ability to merge everything into one project.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 16 September 2012 - 10:21 PM

Our company doesn't use any system for controlling version right now and it would still be a long way to have that since they would need to buy license for software like visual sourcesafe but isn't there a way to do this?

Should I really merge the two projects in one project? Can't they stay as two different projects and just have a button in Project1 to redirect to a page of project2?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 September 2012 - 01:09 AM

View PostNovember-06, on 17 September 2012 - 01:21 AM, said:

Our company doesn't use any system for controlling version right now and it would still be a long way to have that since they would need to buy license for software like visual sourcesafe but isn't there a way to do this?

Should I really merge the two projects in one project? Can't they stay as two different projects and just have a button in Project1 to redirect to a page of project2?

If you went with the one project solution it would not be a good idea without a version system in place, I don't even want to imagine the nightmare that would cause.

I guess I don't understand the reasoning behind the button part. Is is a button that is used to interact with the project? Is it just there so you can sidestep to the other project very quickly and will not be introduced in the final part of the system?

You can both add a reference to the other project in the solution itself but that would require re-downloading each solution periodically if anything changes across the board that interacts both ways.

SVN is free when, you can use the windows shell program or use the free opensource support for Visual Studio AnkhSVN which works great as well.

This post has been edited by dhazard: 17 September 2012 - 01:14 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 Curtis Rutland  Icon User is online

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:34 AM

You can't deploy them to the same URL. I mean, I suppose you could try to publish, then merge the output so that they're sharing directories, but what about files with the same names?

What I suppose you could do is make two virtual directories (or applications) under a single url, like "http://servername/app1" and "http://servername/app2".

Though this is a really, really bad idea to develop projects like this. Your projects are not independent. They're two halves of a whole. It's going to be ten times more difficult to debug these projects now.

As to making a button or link to the other project...it would be just like any other button or link, if you know the URL to the other web page. There's nothing special to link to a different ASPX page, no different than linking to any other page. And once you have source control, you can work on the same project together instead of bastardizing it into two projects.

And expense isn't an excuse for not having source control. Also, you mentioned Visual Source Safe. Forget that those words exist. It's a bad source control system, and you should avoid it. If your company can afford it, TFS is a great choice because of how tightly integrated it is with Visual Studio. If they can't, there are at least three free source control solutions I can think of off the top of my head: SVN, Git, and Mercurial. Any of which would be great, and free.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1