4 Replies - 5732 Views - Last Post: 27 September 2012 - 04:34 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

setting up email with php function and xampp

Posted 17 September 2012 - 09:45 PM

Trying to setup my phpbb forums and my website to recover passwords via email the website is using the php mail function i know phpbb is separate from the site itself or thats what i've read but i cant send emails from the site either is there a config some where that i need to setup? also i setup my smtp with godaddys whos hosting my domain email for the forums since the mail func didnt work still doesnt send
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: setting up email with php function and xampp

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: setting up email with php function and xampp

Posted 18 September 2012 - 07:42 AM

If Godaddy is hosting your website, your best option (imo) is to call their customer support. We can help you with configurations, but most of our experience is from server side configs, & I've never set up anything on their network. I would assume that their cpanel has options for email, but wouldn't even know where to begin.

Part of what you are paying for with hosting is their support. You should go through their support for this, rather than ours.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 September 2012 - 09:04 AM

Well the email is through them the website is being hosted from my vps (different company) with xampp I would host the website with them as well but they wont let my php scripts connect to the database's on the vps and i cant setup the database on their hosting since im running a game server and it would still need to connect to the database and the servers console which they wont allow either I've already called and talked with them....So everything i need is setup on the vps and is working except the email. The only reason i mentioned godaddy was because i was trying to use there smtp and pop. I tried to configure mercury on the vps which is totally not working but most of my experience with web hosting was never server side...really i guess all i need is a guide or anything that could tell me how to config the php mail i would like to avoid setting up mercury if possible
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 September 2012 - 10:21 AM

I would use a pop client to first verify GoDaddy works, if not you'll need to check the mx records on your dns.

Once you verify you can send/receive through GoDaddy pop, I would use this smtp tutorial. Though I've been told it's aged, I still use it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 September 2012 - 04:34 AM

Thanks for the help its fixed i didnt even think about checking to see if godaddy would allow it turns out they dont.
So this is not a great way to do it but for a quick fix until i can get time to do it properly it works. I made a google apps account and setup domain email on it and changed my MX records but still it wouldnt connect.
i ended up just making a personal account and adding my domain email as the allies.
Then setup the basic gmail settings in the config's and its all good probably not a good way to do it but it works and i dont send mass emails
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1