Problem: I learned code. Now what?

Continuation of my need help getting started.

Page 1 of 1

3 Replies - 742 Views - Last Post: 29 September 2012 - 10:14 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Problem: I learned code. Now what?

Posted 18 September 2012 - 02:38 PM

Okay so I know c++ and sdl. How do I take this and get started on some 2d stuff. My basic concept is a 2d turn based rpg, kinda like geneforge or x-com ground combat for you nerds out there (*resizes this is a programing forum*) ,even if that's all of us, I know those games are a little complicated for their time, but it's been long enought that they they aren't too much of a strech. Not that I intend to have as much content, but the example proves itself. Any way can anybody lend me some advice on how to get there.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Problem: I learned code. Now what?

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Problem: I learned code. Now what?

Posted 18 September 2012 - 02:45 PM

Download the engine of your choice (given your language and game play styles)... install it.. start reading up on how-tos and the documentation of said engine... start implementing concepts that will be in part of your design... when you are sufficiently familiar with how things work put your idea to paper, get a plan, break it up into parts, define all the moving and non moving bits, get as much coverage on paper as you can.. then start implementing it.

example:
http://content.gpwik...Engine_Overview

http://sourceforge.net/projects/sge2d/
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 September 2012 - 02:50 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 18 September 2012 - 02:45 PM, said:

Download the engine of your choice (given your language and game play styles)... install it.. start reading up on how-tos and the documentation of said engine... start implementing concepts that will be in part of your design... when you are sufficiently familiar with how things work put your idea to paper, get a plan, break it up into parts, define all the moving and non moving bits, get as much coverage on paper as you can.. then start implementing it.

example:

The thing is, I dont know what engine to use, as I was going to do it myself( then I looked into it) but this an early project for me. Is there anything that you can recommend?

View PostSquidy, on 18 September 2012 - 02:48 PM, said:

View Postmodi123_1, on 18 September 2012 - 02:45 PM, said:

example:

The thing is, I dont know what engine to use, as I was going to do it myself( then I looked into it) but this an early project for me. Is there anything that you can recommend?

I checked the link, that. Could do the job. Thanks man, I'm glad I joined the forum, you guys are so helpful.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 September 2012 - 10:14 AM

Unity is a good engine to start with, as there are many tutorials and people online that can help you get things going. If you want to write it all yourself, it will be more work. If that is something that you are interested in, have a look at my website for step-by-step help.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1