2 Replies - 312 Views - Last Post: 19 September 2012 - 02:51 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Where to start with 2d graphics?

Posted 18 September 2012 - 05:46 PM

For the past few weeks I have been programming a text game in swing. Its gotten me very familiar with Swing and I'v learned a ton with it. But I'm getting bored with it so I decided That I would try to scrap the swing and make it a 2d game (or maybe just put a 2d panel in the center of my main frame surrounded by the buttons and such from swing, but w/e.)

I was looking around at things like slick2d or LWJGL (light weight java game library) and was wondering if it would be best If I just started with those, because I assume when I get more advanced in java I will end up using some game library for programming games (although i could be wrong in that.)

So my question is, do you think it would save me time to start off learning a game library? And if so which one? Or should I just start with the regular java library for now.

In my Comp Sci class we never learned graphics because it wasn't an essential unit I guess(although I'v looked at it a little and it doesn't seem to difficult) Point being I'v never really worked with 2d graphics in java so I'll be starting from scratch either way.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Where to start with 2d graphics?

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Where to start with 2d graphics?

Posted 19 September 2012 - 03:29 AM

I stated with a normal panel and just overiding the paint method , easy way to do simple grafics
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Where to start with 2d graphics?

Posted 19 September 2012 - 02:51 PM

If you're looking to make a 2d game of pretty much any kind, the libraries programmed into Java by default are more than enough.
Was This Post Helpful? -1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1