• (2 Pages)
  • +

15 Replies - 5263 Views - Last Post: 28 September 2012 - 01:38 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

First "real" website

Posted 19 September 2012 - 03:15 AM

Well, here goes nothing!

This is the first website that I spent more than 15 minutes playing around with. In fact, I've spent the better part of the past 5 hours or so playing around with this one.

This is my little portfolio. I'm mainly making it for a learning experience, and a place to dump all my projects and what-not.

I went for a *very* simple design, and designed it using only CSS.

RPJ Portfolio

It may be extremely simple, but I'm actually rather proud of it. This is the first website I've created that really made me want to explore html/css more. And hey, I can only get better from here, right?

What do you guys think? I'm completely open to suggestions and improvements on this.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: First "real" website

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: First "real" website

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:24 AM

A few things..

Coloring - I am not a fan. Black on red.. yawn.
The font, what is that? Papyrus? Not digging it if for anything spacing seems to be a problem.
The glow behind the RPJ - annoying. Remove it.

The inner glow of those boxes.. why?
The thin red line around the nav area - doesn't match the inner glow or the background glow of anything else.
If you have a 'logo' like the top right make that clickable to the home page. It's a typical convention.
Your nav bar - it should color the current tab differently when on it.. typical convention.
Interesting slide in effect on the nav between areas.

Over all not a fan. It lacks a cohesive look and even more basic - a feel. That might be due to the pseudo goth look but black on black is so not fun to look at. Minimalist design doesn't mean crap color on crap color, right? It is more a push to remove clutter.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:12 AM

I went for a look, but until you make changes as modi123_1 suggested, I would say he pretty well summed it up.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:23 AM

More gripes:
- Your tabs do not highlight when selected.
- I don't like the way your vertical wipe works - it feels pretty jerky, looks more like a glitch than an effect

I don't think the look is so bad, in an absolute sense. It does look a little gothy, but maybe that's what you want. To say something positive about it, you do a good job of separating figure from ground - my eye goes right to the text, and ignores the decoration, which is a good thing.

Not so bad, but definitely keep at it.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 September 2012 - 11:57 AM

Just a FYI.. might want to use HTML5shiv for IE support..I'm trying to view it at work (IE8 only) and it doesn't render since its HTML5
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 19 September 2012 - 02:53 PM

I just participated yesterday in a 'Developer Day' wherein a a few reps from Microsoft came in to speak to us about Team Foundation Server (TFS) and Visual Basic Studio, as well as multiple other sessions.

One thing mentioned was that HTML5, while usable, currently has not yet been standardized, which is why the browser support for it (and CSS3) is few and far between. It is estimated, at BEST, to be standardized and fully supported no earlier than 2016, with current numbers suggesting 2022.

W3C is to have the recommendation test suite developed by 2014.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 September 2012 - 06:26 PM

Thank you all for taking the time to check it out and give suggestions. I take all your opinions to heart.

Again, this was really my first site, and it's more for personal use than anything. Most likely won't even be keeping it up on the internet. I still feel pretty good about it (for personal use). However, I am going to go back to the drawing board and continue to develop my designing skills (obviously not a strong point for me =P).

And lunatic, I was not aware that HTML5 was still that far away from being standardized 0.o.

Thank you all again for the feedback =)

This post has been edited by Guitartripp: 19 September 2012 - 06:26 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Perfectly Squared ;)
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:11 PM

View PostGuitartripp, on 20 September 2012 - 06:56 AM, said:

Thank you all for taking the time to check it out and give suggestions. I take all your opinions to heart.

Again, this was really my first site, and it's more for personal use than anything. Most likely won't even be keeping it up on the internet. I still feel pretty good about it (for personal use). However, I am going to go back to the drawing board and continue to develop my designing skills (obviously not a strong point for me =P).

And lunatic, I was not aware that HTML5 was still that far away from being standardized 0.o.

Thank you all again for the feedback =)

Well, if you are developing a website, I would certainly recommend ASP.NET as opposed to HTML. You will find out that ASP.NET is more easier than HTML as you have everything as a GUI so all you basically need to do is drag and drop the form elements and write minimal amount of code and before you know it, you have a website ready to go :)

regards,
Raghav
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 27 September 2012 - 05:54 AM

View Postraghav.naganathan, on 26 September 2012 - 10:11 PM, said:

Well, if you are developing a website, I would certainly recommend ASP.NET as opposed to HTML. You will find out that ASP.NET is more easier than HTML as you have everything as a GUI so all you basically need to do is drag and drop the form elements and write minimal amount of code and before you know it, you have a website ready to go :)

regards,
Raghav

Not to hijack the discussion, but would you mind linking to some good tutorials for ASP.NET raghav.naganathan? I've been freelancing with HTML/CSS for several years now, and professionally work in .NET with prime focus in VB.NET.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 September 2012 - 06:05 AM

View PostAnalyticLunatic, on 19 September 2012 - 10:53 PM, said:

One thing mentioned was that HTML5, while usable, currently has not yet been standardized, which is why the browser support for it (and CSS3) is few and far between. It is estimated, at BEST, to be standardized and fully supported no earlier than 2016, with current numbers suggesting 2022.

Apparently now they plan to have it finalized in 2014.

http://www.engadget....alized-in-2014/
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• .. does not guess solutions
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 September 2012 - 06:25 AM

View Postraghav.naganathan, on 27 September 2012 - 06:11 AM, said:

I would certainly recommend ASP.NET as opposed to HTML

?

They're not things that can be compared like this, ASP.NET is processed server side and simply emits HTML which is processed client side for display in the browser. They are 2 entirely different technologies targeting 2 entirely different things, whilst working together to form a single package.

You can't (read: shouldn't) use ASP.NET without a firm grasp on HTML.

This post has been edited by RudiVisser: 27 September 2012 - 06:25 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 27 September 2012 - 06:54 AM

View PostRyano121, on 27 September 2012 - 06:05 AM, said:

View PostAnalyticLunatic, on 19 September 2012 - 10:53 PM, said:

Apparently now they plan to have it finalized in 2014.

http://www.engadget....alized-in-2014/

Thanks for the link. 2014 is finalization of the STANDARDS though. COMPLETION is still, as it states, hopeful for 2016.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Perfectly Squared ;)
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:51 PM

View PostAnalyticLunatic, on 27 September 2012 - 06:24 PM, said:

View Postraghav.naganathan, on 26 September 2012 - 10:11 PM, said:

regards,
Raghav

Not to hijack the discussion, but would you mind linking to some good tutorials for ASP.NET raghav.naganathan? I've been freelancing with HTML/CSS for several years now, and professionally work in .NET with prime focus in VB.NET.

Sure, here it is: http://www.asp.net/web-forms

To your extreme right, you will find several helpful video tutorials from Pluralsight.Since I was a beginner, it certainly gave me a good understanding of ASP.NET. Well, you could try looking at them.

regards,
Raghav

This post has been edited by raghav.naganathan: 27 September 2012 - 08:52 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Perfectly Squared ;)
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:56 PM

View PostRudiVisser, on 27 September 2012 - 06:55 PM, said:

You can't (read: shouldn't) use ASP.NET without a firm grasp on HTML.

I would certainly agree with you on that :). But for someone who knows already knows HTML, it is advisable to use ASP.NET :)

regards,
Raghav
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:57 PM

View Postraghav.naganathan, on 27 September 2012 - 08:51 PM, said:

Sure, here it is: http://www.asp.net/web-forms

To your extreme right, you will find several helpful video tutorials from Pluralsight.Since I was a beginner, it certainly gave me a good understanding of ASP.NET. Well, you could try looking at them.

regards,
Raghav

Thank you Raghav! I shall review those Tutorials once I finish up some work I'm currently doing for a client.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +