10 Replies - 2066 Views - Last Post: 07 October 2012 - 02:25 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Started with java; Tried c# and now confused.

Posted 19 September 2012 - 04:44 AM

Java introduced me to programming and after a month of studying java I can say that it's really really fun, I love it and I said to my self I can do this forever.

Then I tried C# 3 days ago and the feeling that I felt when I ran my first program was so better when I ran my first with java. Maybe it's because of the easier GUI bulding or because I already grasp basics of java and it made C# easier, and maybe I would have felt the same with java if I first started learning C#.

What really got me to java was for android developing which for some reason won't run for my PC even though my specs are pretty good but lets not talk about that. But since I fell in love with programming I think I will enjoy even if I'm not developing for android.

So I'm now not sure where should I focus on, should I stay with java? or go to C# route?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Started with java; Tried c# and now confused.

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Re: Started with java; Tried c# and now confused.

Posted 19 September 2012 - 05:05 AM

well if you like app coding for phones then java if not make a list of pros and cons between the 2 languages and work from there.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 September 2012 - 05:27 AM

There are a dozen or more threads here on "which language" where lots of people have put in lots of comments and pros and cons for their favorite language. Run a search or look at the links at the bottom of the page.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 September 2012 - 06:47 AM

For Windows only, C#. For all else, Java.

It depends on your environment and target audience, really.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:52 AM

I agree with what baavgai says, depends on your target audience. I myself have took up java because i started doing android dev and loving it, only having a problem with google maps but that is besides the point. My first love is web dev which i do along side java.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 September 2012 - 03:55 PM

One you have nailed either language though it is pretty easy to hop between the two, it's really just a case of knowing what libraries are available to do certain jobs. I started coding in Java before I used C# but found that when I needed to start learning C# for some dev work that the transition for the most part was painless. Infact it was harder going back to Java after being spoiled by the VS IDE.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 September 2012 - 04:59 PM

Which language do you have a better grasp on? Stick with that one for about a year of serious learning and development. Then consider a secondary language. I think this comes down to the fact that programming isn't easy, especially at first. Jumping languages won't help, because none of them will make it "easier" for you. Some may have less syntax to learn, but you still have to learn how to formulate and express your logic and algorithm in code.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• This space intentionally left blank
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:17 PM

I just started playing around with java. My problem is, I've always programmed in some sort of Basic so most other languages seem like a foreign language that I have no context of, when trying to learn. I can read most C# enough to convert it to my "native" language (vb.net) but if you asked me to sit down and write a C# application, you might as well ask me to fly to Italy and speak Italian. Java and C# seem very similar to me in syntax so if it was me, I would focus on keeping up on both of them as it never hurts to know more than one language but become fluent in one of them so that you have a strong grasp on it. If it wasn't for the fact that I can write an application in VB.Net quickly and somewhat easily, I would try to forgot everything I knew about it just to better learn java and/or c#. I'm not knocking VB, I just think learning either of those languages is a huge step in understanding a wider variety.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 September 2012 - 07:36 PM

May I suggest that if you decided to learn C#, but also intend on staying proficient with Java, that you don't get sucked into LINQ. As far as I can tell, there is no LINQ analogue in Java.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 September 2012 - 09:58 PM

Thanks for the inputs. I decided to just go with c# and got the book pro c# 2010. I think I can manage to be good with both since most of my college classes use java.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 October 2012 - 02:25 PM

C# is great if you only care about Windows and you want to write good applications quickly. Java is a good object-oriented language too, and arguably one of the best to learn on. Both are very similar. I tried both when I was just starting out. One month I was a C# fanatic, but just for a month. It definitely felt cool to write a program that could be turned into a real .exe so others could use it, but after a while I realized that I didn't really know what was going on under the hood of my programs. I think you can actually learn a lot about object-oriented programming by writing Java Swing GUI applications, so I would recommend that.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1