• « First

78 Replies - 5500 Views - Last Post: 07 October 2012 - 12:49 PM

#76 Curtis Rutland  Icon User is online

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Apple or Android?

Posted 06 October 2012 - 06:37 AM

What don't you like about the S3? It's a very well-put-together phone.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 October 2012 - 07:32 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 19 September 2012 - 07:07 AM, said:

Did anyone else think this was silly just because it was comparing a company (Apple) to an operating system (Android)?

I was literally about to post the exact same thing
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:52 AM

I just got a Galaxy S3 myself, switching from an iPhone. I love that I have more freedom to control the thing without having to jailbreak and jump through hoops. Ruboto was what really made it for me though, considering Android runs on Java and JRuby is more than able to run. This means I can make scripts on the go for much of anything without having to go through the annoyances of Objective-C.

I won't start on a holy way on Objective-C, but it annoys me. Programming should be clean and intuitive. Java and Objective C are not clean, and to me not intuitive. I want to write things that work, not spend 80% of my time on boiler plate code and debugging. Can I still use them? Yes, but I'm not particularly a fan.

Then again, take that with a grain of salt. I've made a long trip from VB and C# to Scheme and Common Lisp. I can't say I'm much of the standard conventional to that regard.

I do like my new phone though so far. It's just easier to change things, it doesn't feel like I have someone holding my hand every step of the way and keeping me out of the workings. I hate that type of position, which is also why I don't like Windows or Windows Phones.

Android caters more to people who don't want to be coddled but want to get work done. I can respect that. My phone is a tool, and I want every ounce of power possible out of my tools. Apple doesn't deliver that, and that is by far my biggest nag on them.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• The Noid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:49 PM

I can understand and relate to that sentiment, to an extent, but it hasn't really applied to me for my phones. I've had iPhones since the 3G, and have never had a problem with them. It makes phone calls every time I tell it to. It sends texts back and forth just about every time. My access to basic internet features is pretty consistent. The problems I occasionally have with those features are generally caused by my service provider, not the iPhone.. I have some games, and some apps, and they work. My work email syncs just fine. That's all I really need from a phone, and the iPhone does them all. That being said, my next phone will be something else, but that's just to explore my options. I know exactly what the iPhone experience is, and what it will generally be in the future, so now I'm going to take extended tours of other devices to see what they're like, and then I'll know which one I prefer.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • « First