2 Replies - 304 Views - Last Post: 19 September 2012 - 07:39 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

MAC mini?

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:23 AM

Hello guys. Just before start I want to let you know - I am completely lost.

My current machine is Asus N53sv with i7-2630qm, 6gb of RAM, 750gb 7.2k rpm hdd, GT540m 1gb (which I never used) with Linux in it. This baby is mainly used for my studies (studying BSc Software engineering, second year now). I do mainly Java and C++ programming, well maybe do is not a right word, because I am still learning it. And because I just celebrated my 20th birthday I am thinking of buying (first time in my life) apple machine for my studies as my birthday gift, because most of the time during my studies lecturers are teaching us different things in windows / mac os platforms, but not linux. And even all the assignments must be submitted in .doc / .docx formats and not pdf, which makes my life even more complicated, because openoffice, now libreoffice does not convert .odt to .doc / .docx without breaking it. So for that kind of reasons I am thinking of buying mac mini (I would love to try MBP, but my bank account tells me different story). That why I need your advice, is it worth buying a mac mini for studies / learning programming and keeping my asus in a background as a portable machine? Keep in mind I already own a 24" Dell monitor with mouse and keyboard. And you may ask me why I do not use Windows in my asus, answer is I just don't like windows os, new metro UI, and not having terminal when I need it. Thank you in advance.

P.S. Terribly sorry for my bad English, it is not my native language.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: MAC mini?

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: MAC mini?

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:35 AM

because most of the time during my studies lecturers are teaching us different things in windows / mac os platforms, but not linux

Let me get this straight - you have a machine with a windows key on it, right? I assume this came with Win7 or Vista? Why are you not dual booting or using a virtualbox to run windows inside of your linux? It seems to be the quickest solution.

And you may ask me why I do not use Windows in my asus, answer is I just don't like windows os, new metro UI, and not having terminal when I need it. Thank you in advance.

It seems to be a large (and expensive) end run around to not use windows even though your teachers/school system seems to having you using it.
blah..blah..blah we get you are 'linux2dacore', but sometimes you need to suck it up and use a different os to make your life easier.

So what's to gain by this? You pick up a second, more expensive, box to satisfy some base connection to MSOffice doc formatting? Sure I guess if you want to spring for a new toy that's grand, but it seems like a reach.

https://www.virtualbox.org/
https://www.vmware.com/
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: MAC mini?

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:39 AM

Hardware be the question ye seek, so I set yer topic a sail in the direction of a more suitable, accurate sub forum.... yarrr.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1