2 Replies - 1971 Views - Last Post: 20 September 2012 - 08:51 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Convert image manipulation program to server web app

Posted 19 September 2012 - 02:29 PM

Hi!

I have a reasonably straightforward python program that performs simple image manipulation e.g. turns selected jpg/png/bmp image files to black&white and negative,etc. It's working OK on eclipse. It uses Tkinter for the GUI and the python image library for most of the manipulations. The altered image can be saved thereafter. I am looking to find out more, so that I can try and convert it in to a web app that I could run on say an Amazon EC2 server?

BTW - I am not sure whether to post this to the python forum or on one of the web development forums as it relates to both?

Anyhow, web development is totally new to me and I am a bit confused because on the one hand, I hear about many different 'frameworks' which apparently can do this - 'frameworks' as a concept are new to me. As is obvious, I am a bit of a noob. On the other hand, I am aware that html and javascript on the client side and python on the server side are common ways of doing this kind of task. So I am a bit confused as to the best way forward to get it to work as a web app. Should I rewrite the program with javascript, html on the browser and python on the server or are 'frameworks' the better option. If so, as there are so many frameworks seemingly, which would be best framework as it is a bit confusing?

If it would help answer this question, I can attach the python code.

Many thanks for your help!

This post has been edited by smokeonthewater: 19 September 2012 - 02:31 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Convert image manipulation program to server web app

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Convert image manipulation program to server web app

Posted 20 September 2012 - 07:10 AM

Well I am also very inexperienced in the web development department, but The first way that comes to mind in getting this app ported to work on the web is to basically replace your GUI with an HTML page. You will need to make sure that the hosting service that you use supports your version of python that you are using, or if you are hosing yourself you can install python. Then basically make an HTML page that allows the user to upload an image and then have options that call your python modules to do the image manipulation. Then when the user is done you can host the edited image and delete it once his session expires. Like I said before however I am also very inexperienced with web development and have never used python on a server like this so I am probably unaware and missing a bunch of details, but hopefully this post was helpful at least a little bit.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Convert image manipulation program to server web app

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:51 AM

Thanks Duffman!

I think that's what I will have to do. Re-do the program in javascript/html on the browser and PHP or python on the server.

Many thanks!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1