• (2 Pages)
  • +

15 Replies - 1687 Views - Last Post: 22 September 2012 - 06:39 AM

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

It's 2012, & Philadelphia really likes it's rubbish

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:47 AM

City may sue developer who spent $20,000 to remove 40 tons of trash from vacant lot

A business developer in the Philadelphia neighborhood of Point Breeze is facing legal action after voluntarily cleaning up more than 40 tons of trash from a vacant lot neighboring his local business.

Posted Image

Ori Feibush (pictured above) says he visited the local offices of the Philadelphia Redevelopment Authority four times, sent in seven written requests and made 24 phone calls to the agency asking them to take care of a major eyesore: an empty lot next to his coffee shop was home to more than 40 tons of debris. Not only did the agency fail to act but it also denied Feibush's offer to clean up the mess himself.

But the Daily News reports that Feibush went ahead with his plans anyway, reportedly spending more than $20,000 of his own money not only to remove the trash but also to level the soil; add cherry trees, fencing and park benches; and repave the sidewalk. A local resident told the paper. "Now it's gorgeous. I'm excited." However, the city agency was less excited, demanding that Feibush return the vacant lot to its previous condition and saying it is considering legal action against him.

"Like any property owner, the authority does not permit unauthorized access to or alteration of its property," Paul D. Chrystie, director of communications at the Office of Housing and Community Development told the paper. "This is both on principle (no property owner knowingly allows trespassing) and to limit taxpayer liability." & the situation is not without irony, as Ori says he received a citation back in August 2011 from the city for litter on the same lot that the city now points out is not his property.

Posted Image

The situation is almost like a reverse case of eminent domain, in which a private owner is attempting to revitalize a piece of public property.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 2
  • +

Replies To: It's 2012, & Philadelphia really likes it's rubbish

#2 DarenR  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Re: It's 2012, & Philadelphia really likes it's rubbish

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:49 AM

I read this, this morning. It is a shame that he is being sued because the local government was to lazy to do their jobs. He can coutersuit stating that it was a public health concern. I mean if he removed 40 tons of garbage from the land don't you think there was some diseased rodents in there somewhere?
They should all be fired and thrown in jail for just being stupid.
he should also be awarded the land.
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:54 AM

POPULAR

What ever happened to people helping one another.

The largest thing I hate about politics is the ego. This is (imo) a perfect example of it. I do this because I can. I said no, & that's that. Citizens? pfft, who are they?
Was This Post Helpful? 6
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 September 2012 - 07:04 AM

Sure.. in a fair and just world this guy would have been commended by the city for his work, but in a world of laws and legal tape not so much. That property isn't his. It's the city's (from what I am reading). Cleaning it up is one thing, but revamping and adding to it - not so much.

In a similar vein is it right for someone to go to a public park, find a spot of open green, and then dig it up to plant roses? Not really. Can a hipster hobo go to an abandoned house and set up residence while doing a bit more to board up the windows 'for the sake of the property'? No, not so much.

The whole "reverse imminent domain" is what this is keyed off of.

Then of course is the issue of taxes, liability, etcetera, etcetera..

Now the ticket for the trash from a few years back - yeah, I would try and go back after that one. Ha.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 September 2012 - 07:07 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 20 September 2012 - 10:04 AM, said:

Now the ticket for the trash from a few years back - yeah, I would try and go back after that one. Ha.

But he one-upp'ed the ticket & fixed the source. I agree that laws, & rules, & blah blah blah, but he actually attempted to go that route first. No dice. So he removed a health hazard that was impending his business despite those directly responsible refusing to do it.

If this were a construction site, & he was keeping forward momentum or production from occurring, I would agree. But he did the cities job for them, & they are only retaliating (rather quickly) because his actions rubbed their nose in it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 September 2012 - 07:12 AM

True.. tit for tat is always an amusing game especially when played in politics.

What he should have done is take a page out of Dr. Jone's book and surrounded himself with children as an 'urban clean up' service work. Ha!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:42 AM

POPULAR

modi makes examples where it may not be ok to allow citizens to modify public property.

This is why I just don't think law should be binary, black&white. It's grey zone and this is one of said grey zones. Beuracracy screwed up, he fixed it, and he may get sued for it. Thing is suing is a civil dispute, and the director should be, civil..., about it.
Was This Post Helpful? 6
  • +
  • -

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:56 AM

POPULAR

Politics is for assholes and Texans. Someone should light a flaming bag of dogshit on the city hall doorstep and ring the doorbell.
Was This Post Helpful? 6
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:13 AM

POPULAR

guy deserves a medal. why doesn't the city just keep on doing nothing and shut the fuck up? if they want to do something with it later, go on, do it. but asking him to return it to original condition is asinine.
Was This Post Helpful? 6
  • +
  • -

#10 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:46 AM

Someone should light a flaming bag of dogshit on the city hall doorstep and ring the doorbell.

It's Philly.. so said flaming bag would go unnoticed. Ha! (There's a reason why the Fresh Prince got out.)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:53 AM

'Cause a couple of his friends who were up to no good, started making trouble in the neighborhood? It was one little fight and mom got scared, said your moving with your auntie and uncle in Bel-Air :)

This post has been edited by Nykc: 20 September 2012 - 10:54 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#12 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 September 2012 - 11:01 AM

POPULAR

Ah.. no more like:

'Cause a couple of his friends who were up to no good, started cleaning up the neighborhood! It was one little lot and The Man got scared, said here's a possible law suit; we don't like our slack-ass practices out in the open air!

Was This Post Helpful? 6
  • +
  • -

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 September 2012 - 11:03 AM

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Hash != Encryption
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 September 2012 - 05:17 PM

So Anonymous is taking action.

Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• sudo pacman -S moneyz

• View blog

Posted 22 September 2012 - 03:24 AM

Anonymous should consider making movies.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +