Newbie Areas to focus on

• (2 Pages)
  • +

27 Replies - 2879 Views - Last Post: 24 September 2012 - 06:01 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Newbie Areas to focus on

Posted 20 September 2012 - 04:20 PM

Hi there, i'm a newbie, i've decided to learn C#, is this a good choice? I would assume so as i've seen a lot of jobs online for C# Developers...

I learnt VB in my 1st year of uni, so i have some experience with coding. But now i've graduated i want to broaden my knowledge.

Any advice on projects to start or directions of what areas i should definitely learn to do with C# for job perspectives?

Many Thanks

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Newbie Areas to focus on

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Newbie Areas to focus on

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:10 PM

make a simple Inventory System that has SQL database!
and make it in WPF or Silverlight platform.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Monomania
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 September 2012 - 07:02 PM

That was fast. Make an Inventory System in vanilla C# first with the basic CRUD applications, then transfer it to WPF or Silverlight. You might get information overload if you dive in head first on those if you don't have a good grip on C# itself.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 September 2012 - 12:17 AM

What are Vanilla C#, CRUD and Silverlight?, i'm new to this. I have Visual Studio 2010 does it make a difference?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Monomania
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 September 2012 - 12:28 AM

Nope, vanilla + any word just means the plain version of it, so I meant just C#. You can do a simple inventory application with just C# first, because it has a GUI builder and all inside it. You can learn Silverlight and WPF once you're confident with your skills in C#. Yes Visual Studio 2010 has C#. CRUD means an application which has Create Read Update and Delete. Basically this means you want to create an inventory system with those functions. Silverlight is for creating flashy web apps, but I'm not sure about this one.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 September 2012 - 12:28 AM

"Vanilla" is a common term for "basic"... for example, a single-disc DVD with just the film on it is referred to by the industry as the vanilla disc. It's because ice-cream's basic flavour is vanilla, which, as every right-thinking person will tell you, is because vanilla is the best flavour.

CRUD is an acronym for "Create Read Update Delete"... it's a program implementation where the user has access to those features on any item in a database. You see it more obviously in ASP.NET MVC web applications.

Sorry, just threw more at you. ASP stands for Active Server Pages, and means a C# program that runs through a web browser. MVC is a design paradigm "Model-View-Controller" where different application layers are kept seperate. This is something Visual Studio strongly insinuates in ASP applications these days.

Silverlight is a framework for running internet applications. It's kind of like "C# in Flash". I remain unimpressed with it, and have more than once heard it said it's a dying platform.

WPF (Windows Presentation Foundation) is a much more attractive version of a Windows program. It's more where future desktop applications are heading, but it makes sense to touch on it later, as you'll probably need to learn some XAML(eXtensible Application Markup Language) since this is how the layout is controlled. However, as a newbie, don't get too hung up on Windows Forms, since WPF might make it effectively obsolete.

It's also worth mentioning XNA (according to Microsoft, "XNA" stands for "XNA's Not Abbreviated") which is a framework for making games for Windows, Windows Phone and XBox 360.

EDIT: Darn, beaten to it by fromTheSprawl.

This post has been edited by MrShoes: 21 September 2012 - 12:29 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 September 2012 - 12:32 AM

So would you advise I use something like Visual Studio to get my head around C# and windows forms as a starting point, and the progress as I get better, as I was on the understanding that Windows Forms is how most common applications are created right ? unless making a console application
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 September 2012 - 12:46 AM

Use Visual Studio for everything.

Get your head around C# first, follow tutorials, stick to Console apps. The get to grips with WinForms. You're right that most C# applications have historically been built in WinForms, but WPF is a prettier butterfly, and in future I suspect that's where more developers will focus.

Essentially, these are wrappers over an understanding of C#, and you need to know how to work what's under the hood before you build the dashboard.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 September 2012 - 12:49 AM

does WPF make things look better, i'm off to work now, but thanks for all your help. I guess i'll looking into what WPF is / looks like. as i thought there was only forms to make applications in the standard window's windows (appss) thanks, any more help would be great on the matter
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 September 2012 - 01:16 AM

An example of a WPF application:

Posted Image

I'm guessing you're in the UK. Me too, so will usually be around when lots of others are sleeping.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 September 2012 - 01:52 AM

Ah I see the WPF are more visually pleasing. Where's the forms are more your typical MS prompt windows or "control panel/explorer" applications / windows right ? So for system stuff use the forms? And more visually pleasing apps and stuff use WPF for future proofing? Once I grab concepts of C# ?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Monomania
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 September 2012 - 02:16 AM

It depends to you. You can still create beautiful apps with just the C# GUI builder alone but the WPF thing is specialized to handle creation of beautiful apps so the you'd get more eye candy with less code using WPF.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 September 2012 - 03:49 AM

It's true. Further, you could create an application that looks exactly like a WinForms app, then a designer can come along (using Expression Blend or somesuch) and make it look much more attractive, without touching your functional code. That further separates graphic design from code, which, if you've seen some of the worst examples of developer-designed UIs, you'll understand why.

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 September 2012 - 05:15 AM

I know it seems a really stupid question and i'm trying to get my head around it, but what is a Software Framework, as in .Net Framework. And how does it relate with C#... sorry again for the strupid question but when i try to look online theres nothing in just plain dumbass english hahaha
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 September 2012 - 05:34 AM

Am I right in thinking a framework is how the applications interact he layers of the application model etc. therefore you use C# to code applications to it with these "rules" of the framework?? Have I understood that right
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +