Newbie Areas to focus on

• (2 Pages)
  • +

27 Replies - 2792 Views - Last Post: 24 September 2012 - 06:01 PM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Newbie Areas to focus on

Posted 21 September 2012 - 06:04 AM

Kind of...

The best way to look at it as a newbie is like this. C# (and VB.NET) applications run on the .NET Framework, which must run on Windows. The .NET Framework provides a number of functions that you can use in your code. So when you use a method or class you haven't created, that'll be part of the .NET framework.

A Window, for example, is part of .NET. As is Console, from which methods like Console.WriteLine come.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 September 2012 - 06:10 AM

Oh so windows OS isn't based on net framework. The .Net framework Is Part of windows OS? You develop applications incorporating the .net framework correct? So when a job asks for knowledge of .net framework I would have that by develops using C# ?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 September 2012 - 06:25 AM

Basically, yes. C# without .NET is useless. But there are different versions of the .NET framework too, as they have been updated with new features.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 September 2012 - 06:28 AM

So like Windows's uses .Net 3.5 or 4 or something. And without that it wouldn't it work properly ? Are u tryin to sy the .Net framework is essential to your C# applications running ?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 September 2012 - 06:38 AM

A friend of mine said the .net framework is like a bunch of code that developers can call up rather than stating it explicitly. Which right yeah? I think I understand what it means now. Thanks though
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 September 2012 - 07:20 AM

View Postrugbylad28, on 21 September 2012 - 01:28 PM, said:

So like Windows's uses .Net 3.5 or 4 or something. And without that it wouldn't it work properly ?
Depends on which version of the .NET Framework you have installed on Windows. Don't worry too much about Windows for now. Just know that using C# you will need Windows underneath it.

View Postrugbylad28, on 21 September 2012 - 01:28 PM, said:

Are u tryin to sy the .Net framework is essential to your C# applications running ?
Yes. The code you are using is mostly part of the .NET Framework.

View Postrugbylad28, on 21 September 2012 - 01:38 PM, said:

A friend of mine said the .net framework is like a bunch of code that developers can call up rather than stating it explicitly. Which right yeah?
Sort of. Do you want to have to write the code that deals with outputting text? That handles mouse clicks? Deals with files, printers, ports etc? No. The .NET Framework has the code to do this, and you use it.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#22 Curtis Rutland  Icon User is online

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 September 2012 - 07:40 AM

A friend of mine said the .net framework is like a bunch of code that developers can call up rather than stating it explicitly.

The .NET Framework is a set of libraries that you can use, along with a runtime for .NET languages. Don't get all wrapped up in it. Most languages have something similar.

Also, to everyone that's told you to start learning Silverlight, don't. Microsoft has practically abandoned it in favor of their non-plugin web technologies like HTML5. It's not worth wasting your time on it.

However, it is worth learning some WPF, because that'll teach you XAML. That knowledge you can use when you move on to "modern style" applications for Windows 8.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 September 2012 - 07:43 AM

View PostCurtis Rutland, on 21 September 2012 - 02:40 PM, said:

Also, to everyone that's told you to start learning Silverlight, don't. Microsoft has practically abandoned it in favor of their non-plugin web technologies like HTML5. It's not worth wasting your time on it.

However, it is worth learning some WPF, because that'll teach you XAML. That knowledge you can use when you move on to "modern style" applications for Windows 8.

My sentiments exactly.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:03 AM

thanks guys you lot are amazing i'm so glad i joined this forum! you lot are so hjelpful and understaning and dont ridicule stupid questions. I have learnt some great things in this short Topic. Again thanks

:bananaman:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:53 AM

Considering supposedly by this time next year 400 million devices should be running windows8
yea love the .net c# xna xaml

check out bob tabors free vids I found him to explain very good in the beginning.

same with burgzergarcade even though thats all unity and game programming the 3 years of tutorials he put on utube teaches alot of c#
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Monomania
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 September 2012 - 06:12 PM

MrShoes OT, but do you use that rename utility? Wow, all the options in one place. I use this application called ReNamer, very simple and nice GUI too. Plus it opens up an opportunity to learn Pascal. ^^
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 September 2012 - 07:17 AM

No, I just googled for "bad developer designed UI" and that's what I got.

Generally I write my own code for those sort of procedures to keep up the practice. But that does look very useful.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Monomania
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 September 2012 - 06:01 PM

Haha yeah it looks real bad. I'll try to look for more too just to learn something about UI design as I have never done that.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +