8 Replies - 3496 Views - Last Post: 05 October 2012 - 04:00 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

How did you get started with computers

Posted 21 September 2012 - 05:54 PM

Showing my age here but it all started for me when I saw WAR GAMES...Do you want to play a game? Been hooked ever since.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: How did you get started with computers

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: How did you get started with computers

Posted 21 September 2012 - 06:14 PM

My dad bought one of these for himself in 1980:
Posted Image

I ended up hogging the machine from him over the weekend and teaching myself BASIC.

This post has been edited by Skydiver: 21 September 2012 - 06:15 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:22 PM

That is pretty cool! I started on a Commodore 64...I'll never forget typing in a huge program from a magazine and then losing it when I turned my computet off....I realized I was missing something...oh yeah,a cassette drive.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 September 2012 - 03:19 AM

Well, for me I only started recently with programming (around 3 or 4 years ago).

But with respect to computers, I started with an old DOS computer when I was 9 or so. I'll never forget how I played Duke Nukem II till the end of the evening :P
Sadly enough the computer was already quite old (and how could I know that dust would literally turn your pc to dust), so we got a Win 95 pc (which was subsequently upgraded to Win98)

Ah the good days of messing around in program files and registry (and then getting scolded by dad of screwing the system all over again xD)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 jimblumberg  Icon User is online

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 September 2012 - 07:02 AM

Well after taking the way back machine I seem to remember the first programming I did was in Junior High using punch cards. Sending these Fortran IV programs off to the mainframe for processing and getting the cards back with the error reports or the results a week or so later. The first actual computer I used was a Kaypro. Oh and with that computer we also had great networking capability, the sneaker network.

Jim
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 September 2012 - 08:34 AM

Actually I also punch cards in college for a Cobol class. Which seemed archaic compared to my Commodore 64. Pc's were still comsidered toys of sorts. I remember about the most advanced thing you learned in college was how to do a bubble sort and arrays. Every language they taught was the same criteria. BORING. I believe it was a SYSTEM 3 or something like that that I punched cards on. Never really saw the computer. You would punch the cards and hand them to an operator who would load them in for you.

The pc's they did have were dual floppy only...no harddrives.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 October 2012 - 03:19 PM

I started with the BBC Microcomputer, there is a photo of me playing around with it aged 4. I loved this thing:

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 October 2012 - 04:19 PM

Well when i was in elementary we had DOS computers in school that we would play on and such, and also around that time my family got a packard bell with windows 95 on it that i loved to play games on. my parents divorced and my mom got the computer, so i grew up with that, and when AOL became big i was on there a lot.

I can't remember exactly when i started messing around with programming, i just know that i loved to learn new and random things so i would go and look stuff up, it started with actual languages and i think that's what lead me to programming languages. also in high school a friend of mine got me into web development for a while, we even built our HS band's web page at the time.

I just know I was off and on with it for a few years, but now it's what i'm majoring in.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Cheese and Sprinkles
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:00 PM

My first programming was on (i belive) an IBM, with dual floppy, in 1987 (Second Grade) using a dos program called "turtle" it took commands to draw shapes on the screen.

I have been learning everything I could about programming and computers since.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1