7 Replies - 4109 Views - Last Post: 10 October 2012 - 03:23 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Night Shift & School

Posted 21 September 2012 - 06:47 PM

I work the night shift on weekends in between school during the day the rest of the week. I'm actually about to get ready to go to work now after a day of classes followed by a nap. I worked night shift before this semester started, and haven't been able to find a day-shift job to switch to, so I'm basically dealing with "jet lag" half my week.

Anyone else do/have done the night shift while attending school? It wasn't the worst thing in the world at first (except for the part where I sleep when everyone else is socializing), but reconditioning myself each week kills.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Night Shift & School

#2 JackOfAllTrades  Icon User is online

• Saucy!
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Night Shift & School

Posted 23 September 2012 - 04:34 AM

Yes, I went to school full-time after working a night shift, and worked a part-time afternoon day job as well. It sucks for exactly the reasons you mention. Every weekend would be an adjustment period so that I could have some semblance of a social life between everything else.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 September 2012 - 07:52 AM

Fall 2008 - Winter 2012 semesters I was studying part time and working full time, and my job did involve graveyard shifts on the weekends on a regular basis, with day shifts and class during the week. I had pretty much no social life, and switching back to a regular sleeping schedule in time for Monday morning definitely sucked, but I did it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 September 2012 - 10:59 PM

It sucks!

Luckily, I work in a position that is very flexible for school, but it means that I take night classes whenever possible. I tend to do full-time (and a half) with school and usually just shy of 40-hour work weeks. 4 days a week I'm in at work at 8am, go straight to school in the afternoon, and get home around 10pm. The other 3 days are for catching up on sleep/work/homework.

Basically, I've sacrificed having a social life (and no video games! ughhh) for the past several years in order to excel in both school and work. I also tend to pull an all-nighter about once a week once the semester gets into full swing. Just keep remembering that it is temporary, and the pain now will let you get through this that much quicker. I'm down to 2 semesters and am glad I've made those sacrifices... as much as I hate them while it's going down.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 September 2012 - 07:07 AM

View Postelgose, on 24 September 2012 - 12:59 AM, said:

It sucks!

Luckily, I work in a position that is very flexible for school, but it means that I take night classes whenever possible. I tend to do full-time (and a half) with school and usually just shy of 40-hour work weeks. 4 days a week I'm in at work at 8am, go straight to school in the afternoon, and get home around 10pm. The other 3 days are for catching up on sleep/work/homework.

Basically, I've sacrificed having a social life (and no video games! ughhh) for the past several years in order to excel in both school and work. I also tend to pull an all-nighter about once a week once the semester gets into full swing. Just keep remembering that it is temporary, and the pain now will let you get through this that much quicker. I'm down to 2 semesters and am glad I've made those sacrifices... as much as I hate them while it's going down.

Yeah, it would definitely suck working essentially full-time. I was working four days a week before school, but cut my schedule down to three for school. At least it (barely) pays the bills though! Better than having no job at all, especially when the economy is this rough.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:56 AM

yes i have also done a night shift with my college have to manage it .. just to earn and pay my fee..
Was This Post Helpful? -1
  • +
  • -

#7 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Head MFIC
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:25 AM

Did they not teach proper typing in your college?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:23 AM

I work (really) early mornings and go to uni full time. Usually 4am - 10am, 4 to 5 days a week, so I feel your pain. Uni is a real struggle sometimes and I live on ludicrous amounts of coffee. A few tips:

Eat really well. Lucky for me I work at a green grocer. I make sure to eat lots of vegetables, and bring a hearty trail mix to uni to get me through.

Sleep! I burn the candle at both ends pretty bad, and for long stretches at a time - especially towards the end of semester, but it ruins me eventually, there's only so long you can go on 3-4hrs sleep a night. Power naps in the day, 1-1.5hr MAX, are awesome, but any more and I wake up like I just got run over.

Exercise. Do something decent every few days, I go for a skate or ride my bike, get sweaty, it does me the world of good. Otherwise I tend to get super lethargic and study just gets harder and harder.

Try find at least one day in your week you can devote to the hard stuff. I can only do maths on tuesdays and saturdays! I can get through most coursework with a bit of a foggy brain, but not the hard stuff.

Good luck! I have kids in my course who haven't even worked before and they come to uni "tired" and I chuckle to myself, they don't even know. But I like to think it's good conditioning, or at least character building, or something, damnit, I'm a uni warrior!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1