• (3 Pages)
  • +

43 Replies - 5633 Views - Last Post: 27 September 2012 - 08:26 AM

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Re: Proper attire for interview

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:59 AM

POPULAR

Lol I just got back from the interview and no one cared about what I was wearing. One of the interviewers even said I looked out of place since I was dressed so nice. They were all wearing regular business casual shirts.

They were extremely nice people. I was very pleased to meet them. Turned out much better than I expected. This is an internship, not a job, and they treated the interview as such.

Will post a picture of me soon.

Attached image(s)

• Attached Image

Was This Post Helpful? 5
  • +
  • -

#32 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:17 AM

Sweet. Leaving an interview happy is usually a good gut check.

This post has been edited by jon.kiparsky: 24 September 2012 - 11:18 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:20 AM

When interviewing, I wear something similar to this... in a larger size... and in a slightly less ridiculous pose. :)

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#34 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:26 AM

carnivroar, make a note of it. It might just be your ticket to the big time.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:35 AM

View PostBenignDesign, on 24 September 2012 - 01:20 PM, said:

When interviewing, I wear something similar to this... in a larger size... and in a slightly less ridiculous pose. :)

Wait women don't always stand like that?
WTF

Life = over
Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:36 PM

View PostUtael, on 24 September 2012 - 10:41 AM, said:

It was clarified because I had one prospect come in with it tucked into his boxers, needless to say I found he liked superman a lot. (He also wasn't hired)

I would consider liking superman a perk. Not so much with the boxers...

View PostUtael, on 24 September 2012 - 10:41 AM, said:

One question I've always had was about cuff links. With a suit coat or always?

I've never worn cuff links for anything business related, nor have I seen anyone in my workplace use any.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 September 2012 - 01:49 AM

POPULAR

And when they say "suit", definitely not a gimp suit: http://en.wikipedia....ki/Bondage_suit

... unless the interview includes a casting couch. :)

Seriously, though, professional dress is always appropriate when interviewing, unless told otherwise. As I recall, Amazon actually recommends business casual rather than a suit when they correspond with their candidates to setup interviews.
Was This Post Helpful? 5
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:10 AM

I have the luxury of choosing between three projects to work on. Cloud computing, web semantics, or distributed systems. I don't have much time to research these topics in details (and I have to decide soon), but what would be a good project for someone who is also majoring in physics? I am thinking distributed systems, since I'm currently taking a course in parallel algorithms.

View PostSkydiver, on 25 September 2012 - 01:49 AM, said:

... unless the interview includes a casting couch. :)

Posted Image

This post has been edited by carnivroar: 26 September 2012 - 10:14 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 September 2012 - 11:29 AM

There's always that outside story, and I'm chiming in to provide just that. Most people would tell you to dress up for an interview, meaning you should wear slacks, a button up shirt, and a tie at the minimum. I don't do that. When I go to my interviews, I wear a clean pair of newish jeans(no holes, etc.), and a button down shirt with no tie.

I do this for a very valid reason. Recruiters will spend hours a day interviewing one person after another, to the point that they all look the same because they all were dressed up. I show the potential employer that I respect their dress codes policy by wearing the button down shirt. At the same time, I declare to them that I am an individual by daring to wear jeans instead of slacks.

I'm pleased to say that in all the interviews I've ever been in, only two didn't result in me being offered a job. One failed because I didn't know the answers to some of the programming questions. The other because I didn't have a college degree to backup my knowledge and experience.

I used to "dress up" like everyone else suggests, until I got turned down for a job because I was "too much like all the other applicants."
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 September 2012 - 06:45 AM

IMO, the long sleeved shirt with the black pants, tucked in, with a tie(no suit) isn't bad for an interview. Mind you, you're not being taken for appointment as admin staff. You don't need the suit. You could also seek the advice of someone already "in the system"
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 27 September 2012 - 07:05 AM

I like the cut of your jib magius96. My experience in the private sector could certainly see this working out. In my interviews at my last position as a Data Analyst (went through 4), I was told by the head of H.R. several times that business casual is adequate for the interview, and during the on-site interview, made the comment that he had never before interviewed someone in a full 3-piece suit (I had just come from a professional conference).

At my current position as an Application Developer though, the jeans would not have been acceptable. In the interview for it I wore the aforementioned 3-piece suit (dark blue with pinstripts, solid blue shirt and black tie), I was a little nervous because I really wanted the interview to go well. From the start the interviewing committee was highly impressed I dressed up so well for just the interview, and as we got to know one another between chatting informally and my ability to answer their questions with proper, concise, and thought-out responses, I must say that was probably the most enjoyable interview I have ever been in!

I didn't hear from them for several months so I had assumed I didn't get the position, but then about 2 weeks before I graduated with my Associates Degree, I got the call ^^
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#42 Curtis Rutland  Icon User is online

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 September 2012 - 07:13 AM

View Postmagius96, on 26 September 2012 - 01:29 PM, said:

I used to "dress up" like everyone else suggests, until I got turned down for a job because I was "too much like all the other applicants."

That usually doesn't mean you were dressed like everyone else. It means your skills/resume/interview didn't distinguish you above anyone else. Also, if an interviewer isn't going to hire you because you wore a suit, it's probably not the kind of place you would have actually wanted to work for.

I show the potential employer that I respect their dress codes policy by wearing the button down shirt. At the same time, I declare to them that I am an individual by daring to wear jeans instead of slacks.

Most people won't see it that way. The people that care about the dress code will see nothing but the jeans, and they won't be thinking "this guy is an individual", they'll be thinking "this guy doesn't even dress up to the interview, will he bother to do so if we hire him?"

There's a lot of interviewers that simply don't care, as long as you don't look like a complete slob. But a suit rarely hurts your chances. It's usually a safer bet.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#43 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 September 2012 - 07:19 AM

My thought is if you want to distinguish yourself form the pack with your clothes - the only real way is to go bohemian. Clean jeans a button down shirt? Pffsst.. might as well spit in their tepid coffee pot of respect.

Posted Image
More..
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:26 AM

Posted Image

Your ability to match your bloomers to your bolero jacket is sure to impress.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +