4 Replies - 1697 Views - Last Post: 25 September 2012 - 06:34 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Chess WinBoard - Algebraic Notation to "Extended" Algebraic No

Posted 22 September 2012 - 03:59 PM

I am currently working with XBoard 4.6.2 source code.
I am finding the task to change the Algebraic Notation to be expressed in "Extended" Algebraic Notation (e.g. It lists the first square and the last square. For example e5-e4).

I am working on developing an interface program to read the moves that are happening in the game and then transfer them over to the chess program that I am building. However, I cannot interpret the moves being made.

In the attached image I show the Chess Algebraic Notation. I would like to change that notation to an Extended Notation. For example: Instead of dxe4 to express it in e5-e4

How can I change the "dxe4" to "e5-e4"?

Thank you!

Attached image(s)

• Attached Image

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Chess WinBoard - Algebraic Notation to "Extended" Algebraic No

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Chess WinBoard - Algebraic Notation to "Extended" Algebraic No

Posted 22 September 2012 - 06:20 PM

I am currently working with XBoard 4.6.2 source code

I am working on developing an interface program to read the moves that are happening in the game and then transfer them over to the chess program that I am building
Maybe this is an English communication issue, but I'm not sure exactly what you're working on.

Xboard is an interface that works with a chess program over the Chess Engine communication protocol. Xboard is the graphical user interface. It works with some arbitrary chess program.

What are you doing?

1. Building your own chess program that supports Chess Engine communication protocol, so that Xboard can display it.
2. Building your own chess board graphical interface, like Xboard, that can communicate with an engine.
3. Modifying Xboard

How can I change the "dxe4" to "e5-e4"?
In what? Xboard? Your program? Another program? Answer the question I had above.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 September 2012 - 09:22 PM

Oler1s, thanks for taking your time to respond.

What I am doing:
-I am wanting to modify Xboard to display the last move in "Extended Algebraic" form (where the arrow is showing in the picture). Instead of "dxe4", I would like for it to show "e5-e4" (basically showing from what square to what square the last move occurred".

I hope this is making sense.
Thank you for all your help!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 September 2012 - 05:52 AM

Xboard doesn't already support changing the notation for moves?

Well, if you're going to patch Xboard, you should spend time understanding the code responsible for displaying notation. Best case, Xboard internally pushes around enough information that you can easily display in long algebraic. If not, you'll need to write conversion code from SAN to LAN.

I'm not sure what else we can tell you though.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 September 2012 - 06:34 PM

Thank you for your input.

I have figured out how to better understand the SAN notation being used in the code. I will continue to analyze the part of the code that highlights the moves with an arrow. There I will be able to see the initial square and the final square.

Again, thank you for your support.
Cheers!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1