• i am colt mccoy
  • member icon

• View blog

Apple WWDC 2007

Post icon  Posted 11 June 2007 - 11:16 AM

I listened/read the WWDC keynote on macrumorslive.com,
and I'm buying a mac.

maybe not because of the features,
but because 'all versions' will cost $129.

Leopard shipping in October. Basic version, $129. Premium version, $129. Business version, $129, Enterprise version $129. Ultimate version, $129.

or in other words....

apple just 'gets' alot of things better than anyone else.

one more thing,
steve's one more thing was .... interesting.

safari, on windows? why?
plus, its a brushed metal interface which just looks really dumb, hopefully that gets updated, but still not seeing the reasoning for safari on windows.

probably gonna get a mac because i need a little laptop, and with vmware/boot camp working so smoothly now, i'll let myself splurge for the extra design features.

http://www.macrumorslive.com/

for the full keynote

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Apple WWDC 2007

• Dirty Technophile
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Apple WWDC 2007

Posted 11 June 2007 - 01:21 PM

I've actually been waiting for a Safari for Windows. I really like Safari, I'm definitely going to try it out side by side with Firefox.

Also, brand new Apple website - http://apple.com

They have had the same looking website for what seems like forever. They needed something new, badly IMO.

Also, I'm changing the title to your topic. It's the Apple Worldwide Developers Conference that's going on now, Macworld is in January.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• i am colt mccoy
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 June 2007 - 01:45 PM

eh, i was at work, afraid of being caught by the overlords, it was rushed...

i'm saying the new web is a downgrade.
even though the old one is dated that nav bar is horrendous.

also ::

the part about the iphone "allowing" (and i use that term loosely) developers to develop through is really a lame way to implement 3rd party support, and actually about 20 minutes after jobs finished up, apple stock took a 3% hit, cnbc said it was mostly due to that revelation, i personally wasn't inspired by most of the keynote, and people were so enthused beforehand.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Innocent Shall Suffer, Big Time
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 June 2007 - 02:03 PM

I like the idea of using the web as the dev platform for the phone.
The whole dashboard engine on tiger is web based, I've tooled around with that a bit, except for the load time on it, I think it was a really good idea.

The demo of the ldap backed coporate contacts manager that integrates with the phone features, just confirmed it was a fully viable platform.

Also the additions to the desktop are so so, more junk I have to run with less RAM. I got fedora 7 installed on my macbook dual boot. I think soon I may move the whole thing to F7, expecially since I got wifi working.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Proud supporter of the lulz
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 June 2007 - 02:18 PM

Working wifi with linux on a macbook, now that is interesting.

I think that porting Safari is just plain stupid. I don`t see the interest. Sure, I think that Safari renders pages really well too, and that it is slick, but it can`t compete with stuff like Firefox. But then again, there is IE for Mac, so why not.

ARGH! More baby music in the iPhone ads!

This post has been edited by max302: 11 June 2007 - 02:21 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 June 2007 - 03:16 PM

@ Tyler James Lee:

I have been looking at the photos of Safari, and it's not brushed metal. I think all the brushed metal will be completely gone from the OS come Leopard. It looks like the same type of thing as iTunes for the interface.

Safari is a nice browser, and it's fast. I think Apple is trying to get a few key apps ported to Windows so people are able to see what kind of programs Apple makes and if they switch over to the Mac they will be able to use the programs they are familiar with.

@ MarkoDaGeek & Tyler James Lee

Your right, the old site was bad. It hadn't been changed in years. I don't know if I would call the new site a step back, but I am not convinced it was a step forward. I like how the simplified things, but all the images and AJAX/Flash stuff (I don't know which one it is, I didn't look...) it makes the pages load slow. I don't really like how much they are relying on the graphics for the site.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Barbarbar
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 June 2007 - 04:33 PM

I have to add my 2 cents to MrBoBDobolina's post; whatever the new interface style is called it's not quite brushed metal. Sort of a "brushed metal 2.0" or something.

Apparently, Safari is faster than Firefox. That link is from the Apple website though, so take it with a grain of salt.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• i am colt mccoy
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 June 2007 - 04:49 PM

View PostMrBobDobolina, on 11 Jun, 2007 - 05:16 PM, said:

@ Tyler James Lee:

I have been looking at the photos of Safari, and it's not brushed metal. I think all the brushed metal will be completely gone from the OS come Leopard. It looks like the same type of thing as iTunes for the interface.

Safari is a nice browser, and it's fast. I think Apple is trying to get a few key apps ported to Windows so people are able to see what kind of programs Apple makes and if they switch over to the Mac they will be able to use the programs they are familiar with.

the photos i saw of safari are very much brushed metal..

maybe your looking at leopard safari, which your right, it was a big note of jobs' speech that leopard would not contain any more brushed metal,

so i am really surprised that the screenshots i saw did have it on the windows version.

we'll see i'm gonna dl it in a sec just to see,
but safari is an inferior overall browser.

yippee it may have a little bit quicker loadtime on correctly written javascript pages , but the browser experience in safari is nothing compared to firefox.

one note :
running bootcamp vista (or was it xp?)
and leopard at full speed is impressive.

edit : here is the brushed metal.
stupid.
Posted Image

i also hate the new website.
just decided.
click over to itunes + ipod.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Barbarbar
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 June 2007 - 05:14 PM

What you're pointing out as "brushed metal" is actually the new pseudo-brushed metal. They've tweaked it a bit, and you can't see the brushing anymore.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 June 2007 - 05:27 PM

Here's a screen shot of the Brushed Metal look, I'm not a fan, and it covers everything. I like the new look much better. It's a lot cleaner.

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dirty Technophile
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 June 2007 - 05:31 PM

The windows port is not brushed metal, its like a rounded gray. Just like iTunes.

I really don't like how Safari looks on windows, but it is a superior browser over CrashFox or IE, they could have changed the skin a little. It really looks lame.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• i am colt mccoy
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 June 2007 - 05:37 PM

oh gawd, if they are phasing out brushed metal in favor of brush metal too, then anything i ever said about good apple design is out the window.

its so dated looking, and the new thing, is practically the same thing. is it really whats going on with leopard too?
sum bitch.

itunes is ugly.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 June 2007 - 05:55 PM

I just noticed in the picture, the scroll bar is aqua blue. I wonder if that's going to really be in the final version. I like the new iTunes scroll bar better then the aqua.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 June 2007 - 06:07 PM

View PostTyler James Lee, on 11 Jun, 2007 - 05:37 PM, said:

oh gawd, if they are phasing out brushed metal in favor of brush metal too, then anything i ever said about good apple design is out the window.

its so dated looking, and the new thing, is practically the same thing. is it really whats going on with leopard too?
sum bitch.

itunes is ugly.

To each his own, I guess.

I wouldn't call the new interface "Brushed Metal" or even "Brushed Metal 2". I don't think that it's necessarily the best theme, but I don't mind it. It's more tolerable for me then Windows 95 scheme.

The thing about the GUI is that people will get use to it no matter what it is. Personally, I think that Windows XP is a crappy interface. That being said, if that's what I used, I would get use to it and it would work perfectly.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 June 2007 - 10:54 PM

the demo was good especially the stack feature in leopard is awesome...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +