5 Replies - 2642 Views - Last Post: 18 October 2012 - 10:24 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Database import

Posted 23 September 2012 - 06:22 PM

I am developing a commercial program that involves a lot around database integration and am having a hard time deciding the best route to take. I have never done deep database integration so am at somewhat of a loss as to what to do.

Mainly there are a lot of different database variables that lead to a specific price cell. What I need to do is basically the user selects a button choice and it narrows the cell selection to a row of prices that depend upon further selections. The next button the user selects narrows those choices down more and so fourth until a price is determined. Then that price needs to be put in a variable.

My question is what is the best database option to manage such a task and how do I search the database and continue to narrow down the options. I have the database in access but am not sure if that is the best option to use. Also this database needs to be behind the scenes and not viewable in the program at all. Any information in this matter would be greatly appreciated!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Database import

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Database import

Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:07 PM

Hey.

Is the database supposed to be unique to each user, or do you need a central database that all users will share?

and how do I search the database and continue to narrow down the options

I would think normal SQL queries could be used for that. Something along the lines of:
SELECT price 
FROM the_prices
WHERE 
    text_column LIKE '%something%'
AND int_column > 50
AND int_column < 150

Each filter that the user adds would just be added to the list of filters in the WHERE clause, which would then narrow down the amount of price values the query returns.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 September 2012 - 03:13 PM

Thank you very much for the info. I had a fairly good idea that SQL queries would be the best approach.

To answer your question this will be a central database. On to my next question what program would be the best program to implement and manage the database in (especially for supervisors that are not proficient with VB)? Can i use SQL search queries with an Access database? If so could someone please explain or show me a good tutorial on how to accomplish this. I have never implemented a database before into visual basic nor was I taught in school but working on this project the situation presented itself where it was a crucial piece to the program.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Your Friendly Local Curmudgeon
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 September 2012 - 06:45 AM

SQL Server is a better way to go than Access. I would also recommend that you start with "ANSI SQL." ANSI stands for "American National Standards Institute", which is an impartial board that certifies standards. SQL language that is common to all flavors of SQL is ANSI SQL. From there, everyone provides various "improvements" to the syntax, which of course are proprietary to their existing platform. From this, you get T-SQL (Transact-SQL, SQL Server's "flavor" of SQL), PL/SQL (Oracle), MySQL and so on. Access SQL is also a "flavor" of SQL.

The point is that any one of these can process any SQL command that is part of the ANSI syntax. If you stick to ANSI SQL, you can change from one database platform to another without having to rewrite anything. This is why I'm suggesting that you get familiar with this. If you're going to use Access for the time being, learn to avoid Access-specific SQL syntax.

On to your next question. The "best" approach is the one that your users are willing to accept. I would first look at building some "canned" SQL queries. It's not difficult to show someone how to open Access and run a query that someone else has put together. Begin there, and if it isn't sufficient to solve the problem, then post back and we'll go a little deeper.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 September 2012 - 10:57 AM

Ok. I installed SQL Server Express and will be using it with Visual Basic 2008. can someone explain or lead me toward a guide that explains how and where to create the database and then how to implement it into my program?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Your Friendly Local Curmudgeon
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:24 PM

Did you try googling "SQL Server create database" yet? If not, why not?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1