• Last »

535 Replies - 26176 Views - Last Post: 14 March 2013 - 08:51 AM

#1 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Fall/Winter 2012 Fitness

Posted 23 September 2012 - 10:09 PM

For those not in the know we've taken a positive action on fitness in the community. Most of us sit hunched over a desk in florescent little self made caves for entirely too long each day. What can we say - we love what we do. It doesn't mean that we can go off and neglect our health! A few less hot pockets, giant redbulls, and fast food coupled with maybe taking the stairs, going into that not-so-scarey thing called a gym, or taking up an outdoor hobby can do wonders for a better sense of well being.

If you have questions about where to start, the benefits, tips on what to work on, interesting articles and finds, or just feel like toot'n your horn on personal achievements drop them here. Also if have tips on any healthy recipes or routines we welcome those!

There's never a bad time to start and everyone is quite helpful. If you have questions just ask!

---------------

Everyone it's a change of the season (well for most of us) and that means a good spot to change the routine to accommodate weather, or to reboot that muscle memory. Is anyone trying something new, or have new goals this season?

As for me I have synced in a really good vibe over the last month and a half. I know I've had a few good weeks like this before, but this has been a pretty sustained drive and I find myself looking forward to going to the gym. Also I am dealing with less aches and shorter recovery. It can happen folks!

I am hoping to keep that up and maybe expand the gym time to include another day and try and find some low impact exercise for home. The quick walk-to-jog cardio things is really clicking, as is TMW's philosophy of more sets/less burn out to get more gains is helping with cutting weight and increasing definition.

Miscellaneous links:
Nykc suggested Couch to 5k

Are You As Fit As a World War II GI?
Train Like a Fighter — Workout #1: Cardio, Plyometrics, and Agility Training
Train Like a Fighter — Workout #2: Weight Training and Bag Work

supersloth created a fitocracy dic group..

blackcompe's suggested videos to keep tabs on:
Twin Muscle Workout - Broscience types. Hilarious.
Lifting for Life - High-quality advice on Lifting and Nutrition

Historical links:
(for ideas and commentary research)
Spring - Summer 2012 Fitness
Fall/Winter 2011 Fitness
Summer 2011 Fitness

This post has been edited by modi123_1: 22 October 2012 - 03:04 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 3
  • +

Replies To: Fall/Winter 2012 Fitness

• Hash != Encryption
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Fall/Winter 2012 Fitness

Posted 23 September 2012 - 10:40 PM

I took up a weight training class for one of my electives. It's actually not that hard, and feeling sore every day has become something I love.

I'm also going to restart my diet I've lost ~20 pounds on already. 1500 calories a day, that's it. No special foods, no special workouts. Just only 1500 calories a day. I've been told however that losing weight without doing cardio will result in nasty flabby skin (I'm unsure if my age will play a role or not here) so I also took a sports class where I run around and play sports for an hour. By the end of the day I am very tired. And I'm planning on waking up earlier to go on morning runs.

And now I joined that Fitocracy thing. Might be good to track progress :)
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• The Watcher Outside Your Window

• View blog

Posted 23 September 2012 - 11:52 PM

I'll be moving to a new place this week which is quite far from where I work. The rooms I use now are about 3 miles from work and I walk to work everyday. No idea how I'm gonna stay fit now. I shudder when I see pictures of me taken last winter!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 September 2012 - 04:21 AM

I've stopped tracking my weight as it only serves to make me sad for days. I've decided to stop chasing a magical number and started basing my progress on how I feel.

I have, however, been tracking my measurements - I've watched several inches melt away so far. It's even started leaving my hips (FINALLY)!

In fact, I went shopping on Saturday only to discover that I've dropped a full pant size!!! :bananaman:

The downside to all of this: the more I lose, the more clothing I have to buy... and the very thought of shopping makes me want to stab myself in the leg with a fork. :censored:
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 24 September 2012 - 04:57 AM

I play hockey all year round so I think I still stay pretty fit. I also Joined a 2nd team of 35+ older group so exercise is no problem.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 September 2012 - 05:38 AM

For the past several months I have taken up membership at Urban Active. Besides strength training I have been running.

I prefer the Nike Plus app to log and track progress.
Also I got my start with: Couch to 5k

This post has been edited by Nykc: 24 September 2012 - 05:40 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• LIKE A BOSS
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 September 2012 - 06:26 AM

Running's going well - still not sure how competitive I'll be for the half marathon in November - October is the make-or-break month for me. I started boxing and it does, in fact, kick one's ass. It's pretty fun, though. My goals for fall/winter are to finally achieve my previous running shape and not limp home from boxing every Tuesday and Thursday.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 September 2012 - 06:32 AM

I put off going to the gym this morning... I had a really difficult time getting to sleep last night.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 September 2012 - 07:00 AM

@Xclite - Boxing is one of the best conditioning/workouts you can go through. Back in the golden gloves days, the amount of carb and calorie intake was nauseating but the benefits were amazing.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Noid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:27 AM

I've finally gotten myself up to 3 days a week for boxing, and I'm finally to a place where my wrists and shoulders are strong enough that I can start adding a weight routine on off-days. I could barely do a push-up for the first month because my wrists would hurt so badly after the heavy bag, and when that eased up I began having left shoulder problems, most likely from a combination of poor form on my lead-hand hook and swinging too hard because it finally didn't kill my wrists.

Now that fall is here, it's finally becoming pleasant enough to ride my bike again. We moved a bit out of town last winter, which has been nice, except that nothing is really within riding distance. My whole family used to ride to dinner, and my wife and I rode to the bar in the evenings, which served the dual purpose of not needing a DD and sobering up some on the ride home. Now, riding for utility is mostly impractical, but we have some good country roads to ride for pleasure/fitness.

This post has been edited by h4nnib4l: 24 September 2012 - 08:29 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:48 AM

The routine my friend and I have been following the last several months has been going well. Sadly last week we had to take off to focus on our schoolwork and gear up for finals. (Felt absolutely sick not being able to burn off the excess energy.)

This week we will be hitting the bikes so as to not completely drop off the cliff before hitting it head-on again next week.

Typically we have been doing an Arms workout on Monday with free-weights, Legs on Wednesday (combo of weighted resistance machines and biking periods), and then on Friday we do my favorite, the Chest & Back workout. This 3-day schedule came about due to having work 8:00AM-5:00PM and then school 5:30PM-10:30PM on Tuesdays/Thursdays, but this next session we have one class a night, but Monday-Thursday, so we are hoping to squeeze back into our original 5 day a week routine.

We joined a local YMCA back in late May. I'm a bit of a penny-pincher, so part of my motivation is that I signed up for the 1yr contract, where $26 dollars is charged to me each month. If I don't go to the gym, I feel like not only am I getting fat, but throwing away money. With the gym, I haven't focused much on necessarily eating healthy. I occasionally get the salad instead of fried chicken, but my biggest thing has been to keep going to the gym.

For this Fall/Winter I am hoping to continue/increase my trips to the gym (especially as the weather worsens and there are less things to do outside), and I hope to mold some of my fat into more muscle if not lose it.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#12 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:44 AM

I'll have to pick up weather gear for the commute. Ideally, I'd like to find a helmet that keeps some of the rain out of my eyes and some good waterproof outerwear, that would let me ride through everything but the worst snow days. What stops me now is not so much the prospect of getting wet, but the problem of seeing where I'm going in anything more than a light rain.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#13 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:49 AM

Have you tried Rainex? I am not sure if that is okay for glasses, but it might work.

That or squeegee on the glove!

http://www.motorcycl...t-Squeegee.aspx
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:44 AM

I am half way though a couch to 5k program. Tonight is my first 20 min run that has 0 breaks....think i might die :)

A little background: Before my wedding i did an entire round of P90X. Awesome workouts. After the wedding basically could not get into the workout frame of mind again. I have my sisters wedding in the Dominican next spring, so I decided that I need to get back in shape. Since march I have lost 45 lbs, BP normalized (actually got a high five from the doc on that one) and have started the mentioned running routine. Hopefully in the next few weeks I will be able to start P90X again (having writ issues from work)
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#15 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:50 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 24 September 2012 - 12:49 PM, said:

Have you tried Rainex? I am not sure if that is okay for glasses, but it might work.

That or squeegee on the glove!

http://www.motorcycl...t-Squeegee.aspx

That's cute, but the problem is more the rain falling in the eyes. I can actually see well enough to ride without the glasses, so that's not a big issue (unless I need to get someone's license plate number or something) but when it starts really bucketing down, I'd like to keep it off of my actual face.

I suppose some sort of goggles might do the trick, along with your glove.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (36 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »