• Last »

535 Replies - 24070 Views - Last Post: 14 March 2013 - 08:51 AM

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Re: Fall/Winter 2012 Fitness

Posted 25 September 2012 - 08:47 AM

View PostDarenR, on 25 September 2012 - 08:29 AM, said:

View PostAnalyticLunatic, on 25 September 2012 - 11:23 AM, said:

By the time I finish my Bachelors Degree I am estimating around 25K for my student loans. Over a 10yr regular plan that's about $210 a month, or if I wanna press my finances over 5yrs, about $420 a month.

Once I have my Bachelors, almost anywhere in the private sector pays a minimum double of my current salary to their Developers, so I plan to simply tighten the belt for a year or 2 and get my loans all payed off.

how did you get your schooling so cheap

Short story, I was:

Posted Image

Long story, my state has a tuition program called "A+". Basically Any student who maintains a 3.0 GPA or higher and performs (60?) hrs of tutoring throughout at least 3 years of high school qualifies.

The program covers tuition at any 2yr upper-level institution including vocational, technical, and community colleges for 4 semesters (2 years). The program actually started out covering 6 semesters, which enabled some to dual-degree, but the funding is slowly being chipped away at, so it is anyone's guess as to how long the program shall remain.

Thanks to that program, I graduated with top honors from the State Technical College, taking out loans only for living on campus and for books/misc. fees. I walked away with my Associates owing just a hair over 10K. Now that I am pursuing my Bachelors, a good many of my classes are transferring over, and even those that aren't coming over as full class credit, are at least giving me credits towards electives. I've been told by the counselor I shall have to take little to no electives to receive my Bachelors degree, leaving me free to focus on the core classes and the few general education courses that didn't come over.

Posted Image

This post has been edited by AnalyticLunatic: 25 September 2012 - 10:50 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:02 AM

View PostBigR1983, on 24 September 2012 - 03:44 PM, said:

I am half way though a couch to 5k program. Tonight is my first 20 min run that has 0 breaks....think i might die :)

A little background: Before my wedding i did an entire round of P90X. Awesome workouts. After the wedding basically could not get into the workout frame of mind again. I have my sisters wedding in the Dominican next spring, so I decided that I need to get back in shape. Since march I have lost 45 lbs, BP normalized (actually got a high five from the doc on that one) and have started the mentioned running routine. Hopefully in the next few weeks I will be able to start P90X again (having writ issues from work)

So the run did not kill me, went 3.36 KM in 20 mins, pace of 5.50 mins. I enjoyed it more that I thought I would :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:21 AM

View Posth4nnib4l, on 25 September 2012 - 09:45 AM, said:

If you work a government job for ten years, they'll forgive your loans. A have a buddy who racked up nearly $100,000 in student loans, because he planned on working for the VA when he graduated. He's on the reduced payment plan (or whatever the hell it is) that takes a lifetime to repay, because he knows it'll all go away long before he's done paying it off.

I am on income contingent because my loans are 56k and I am supporting a family of 5 on top of it. I am about to enroll in school and take 1 class a semester for the rest of my life just to keep the deferred status because unless I become a CEO or some shit - developers salaries are NOT enough to cover 50K in loans when you have a family to feed. unless of course you live a debt free lifestyle!

This post has been edited by Nykc: 25 September 2012 - 09:21 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:29 AM

I'm on income-contigent repayment as well. One paycheck to support three people requires some fancy financing and bad ass budgeting. Anything I can do to cut monthly costs is a positive in my book.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:34 AM

Mine got switched to Mohela and they sent me a application for a "Annual Review" and my payment doubled effective in October. *sigh*
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 25 September 2012 - 10:21 AM

Lets see...

over the summer I lost(and have kept off) 5+kg / ~10+ lbs, got a handle on my blood pressure (has dropped from a high of 190+ to an average of ~155 when tested, I've lost creases in my back fat (although they still show up, depending on posture), and successfully increased my activity level enough that it has increased the effectiveness of my mental function. I've also, in the last year, gone from being able to meditate sometimes for stretches of ten minutes at a time, to being able to semi-regularly enter a meditative (semi-hypnotic?) state and rewire subsequent hours of my behavior, so that even though it is a choice to behave in the way I've decided to, it's a choice that I can make more easily than I otherwise would, and that I don't agonize over or see as a loss when the opportunity for something fun is passed by in favor of success.

Hindsight is 20:20, foresight usually requires corrective hardware, determination and discipline are the market leaders for reaching your goals, and 80HD medication, if you have the condition, can bring you to the point where you are capable of learning to function normally or at above normal levels, although it won't get you there on its own. Seriously, I pissed away years of my life, when I first came here, because I didn't learn enough to look back and be satisfied, and I didn't push hard enough in the directions I wanted to go. Getting your shit together and admitting problems really lets you make up for lost time, so fucking well do it if you haven't already. If you want a role model, read these threads, some people do all this, hold down soul-killing jobs (and even manage to enjoy them sometimes), and a few people are apparently kicking ass at raising kids or have already done so.

So fuck your excuses.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 September 2012 - 10:51 AM

My weight is finally down 5lbs. I cannot get this damn gut to disappear but my strength and endurance has doubled. My average runs now are 1.5 miles

You can find me on Nike Plus - Nykc77 if you want to friend me etc.,
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 September 2012 - 04:18 PM

still just lifting heavy shit.

gonna race my third 5k of the year in the first weekend of november. everyone races with their dog. we're gonna kill it.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 September 2012 - 05:11 PM

I wish my retarded dog would run with me.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• LIKE A BOSS
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 September 2012 - 07:11 PM

Welp, today was great. In spite of taking it easy, I felt the lovely beginnings of shin splints. Then, at boxing, I tripped over a kettlebell some jackwagon put out in the middle of our circuit training (it's like he sabotaged me) and rolled the fuck out of my newly recovered ankle. Hoping it's not awful so I don't have to break from training for this marathon. Got the usual killer workout, but it came at a price.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#41 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 October 2012 - 06:46 PM

The whole "let's get super dark at stupid early times" and cold weather has been sapping my reserves. Ugh! I am trudging through though - not quite as chipper as before but getting by. A bit of a weight bump on the upright row and parallel shoulder press (while I curse those short armed folk at the gym). The jogging is getting better and less of an impact on the ol' system.

In a more odd turn of events I walked into the gym Friday and there were zero people there. That's the first time of my history at 24hour that it was dead empty. The previous Fridays there were a few people bee-bopp'n around, but there wasn't a soul. The two employees were MIA and didn't start wandering around until I was about 3/4ths done. Super strange when I am used to noise and people there. It must have been an off night for most of West O.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 October 2012 - 07:19 PM

POPULAR

oh man, yes. i've been running at the gym instead of at the house and i feel like such an asshole, like i'm cheating on the dog.

on the bright side, enjoy the empty gym. you'll miss it the first week of january.
Was This Post Helpful? 5
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:15 PM

just finished the first week of a pretty intense loading phase. lots of Russian volume (8x4 and shit, wtf..). it's brutal.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#44 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:46 PM

Well tonight sure as hell made up for Friday's emptiness. A ton of high school football kids and then seven or eight of the "pro-squad" (as I affectionately call them) mixed with twenty or so civilians...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 October 2012 - 02:42 PM

POPULAR

Oh yeah, did my first 5K saturday. My friend took all the pics, but left the camera on my hood and it smashed when we entered the highway. We recovered the SD card, but I think it might be broke too. :( I have some shitty ones on my phone I'll upload eventually.
Was This Post Helpful? 6
  • +
  • -

• (36 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »