• Last »

535 Replies - 25209 Views - Last Post: 14 March 2013 - 08:51 AM

#46 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Fall/Winter 2012 Fitness

Posted 09 October 2012 - 02:47 PM

Kudos on the 5k! Eventually I would like to think I would participate in an official run.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 October 2012 - 02:49 PM

I did this run (not me in pic, obviously)
Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• The Noid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 October 2012 - 03:17 PM

I'm hoping to hit boxing 4 days this week. I hit too many days, too close together a few weeks ago, and had to really ease up. My energy levels are down, I was really dragging ass on Saturday and Monday mornings, but I'm going tonight anyway. If it was easy, everyone wouldn't be fat, right?
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 October 2012 - 03:23 PM

man, i wanna try boxing.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

Posted 09 October 2012 - 04:19 PM

I finally hit the official ten pounds lost mark (only 30 more to go). I can do 4 chin ups and 3 pull ups. Running 2.6 miles in 30 minutes. I am making progress but the kids going to school and the getting dark early is cutting the exercise down a bit but I am still doing something at least.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#51 BenignDesign  Icon User is online

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 October 2012 - 04:55 PM

POPULAR

My daughter's karate school has a gym in the back of the facility. If you are paying for your child to take a karate class, you can join the "Cardio Club" for $20/month and have unlimited access to the gym (treadmills, stationary bikes, stair climbers, leg press machine thingies, and free weights)... so I've been doing that for 3 hours every week.

As of tonight I have a treadmill buddy - a single mom in the military who is a recovering juvenile delinquent. I've never had quite so much fun walking on a treadmill. We've decided since our kids are in the same class, we will have to make this a regular thing.

Overall progress is going very well (most likely due to multiple recent sources of severe stress and anxiety that have rendered me physically unable to eat without feeling nauseous... but whatever works, right?). I'm going to have to go shopping soon because almost everything I own is too big. I hate shopping, but I love watching my ass disappear!
Was This Post Helpful? 7
  • +
  • -

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:03 PM

View Postsupersloth, on 09 October 2012 - 04:23 PM, said:

man, i wanna try boxing.

I would too, but I have this thing about getting punched in the face.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• The Watcher Outside Your Window

• View blog

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:00 AM

View Postsupersloth, on 09 October 2012 - 10:23 PM, said:

man, i wanna try boxing.

So do I. But whereas there are classes for almost every other thing in my city, there is no boxing class. Maybe I could buy a punching bag and go at it myself.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:11 AM

im gonna be training to be a fitness instructor, every one in my borough of london is a cheapskate mind so i think i will organise something like a large group of people running about in a local park, it will be funny cos this area is so very asian you know...burkah star jumps ^^
Was This Post Helpful? -5
  • +
  • -

• The Noid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:09 AM

I haven't been punched in the face yet. The guy who introduced me has been going for 10 months and hasn't been punched in the face once, because sparring isn't part of the class. I will eventually, because I think that everyone should be punched in the face occasionally, and everyone includes me. It's just training to be in fighting shape: tons of abs, plyometrics, bag work, and then three minutes in the ring with the former golden gloves boxer who runs the place, working on hands and movement. If you think 3 minutes sounds short, try punching for 180 seconds with 1 lb strapped to each hand.

The arm, shoulder, and back workout is brutal. It took about a month for my wrists to stop hurting. I had to bitch out on the pushups for the first month because I couldn't bend them. I constantly feel like I almost have a shoulder injury. I've nearly blacked out every single time I've worked out there. I fucking love it. It isn't about the whole "getting your aggression out", either, because a few minutes into it you're too tired to remember who you wanted to imagine punching, and you're trying to remember the five punches that you were just told to throw. There's no point where it won't be hard anymore, you can always just go faster and harder. We have a few MMA fighters who do hands work there: a ranked female (number 16 at her weight in the nation), and a guy who lost in the qualifier for The Ultimate Fighter. Working out with fighters is badass; everybody motivates each other, and there aren't a bunch of dickheads like you get at a 24 hour (because dickheads would just get the shit beaten out of them). I highly recommend boxing or MMA. The strength, endurance, and confidence building are unparalleled in my opinion. If you can find a fighting gym, give it a shot.

@strawhat - If that's the route you're going, you need to do a lot of research. If you don't know how to punch, you'll break a wrist, hurt a shoulder, probably both. I don't know where you live, but just about everywhere with more than 100,000 people has fighters, and those fighters work out somewhere. Try to find that place. The workout is more than just punching, it's the structure and drive, and group misery that pushes you through.

@sloth - I know that ABQ has a pretty badass fight scene, because so many fighters work out there for the altitude. Several UFC champions have come out of Jackson's MMA. Just find out where she works out...

This post has been edited by h4nnib4l: 10 October 2012 - 05:23 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 10 October 2012 - 06:21 AM

After a two-week hiatus due to finals (not an excuse, but school is important) my friend and I returned to the gym last night! Even more awesome, while we've been gone they added several new machines and a lot of new weight stands so now it isn't as hard to find weights when the place is packed!

We did our arms workout yesterday. I myself dropped about 5-10lbs depending on the exercise compared to where I was at in the book 2 weeks ago, and while I'm a bit sore today, nothing seems to have been overstressed or pushed too hard ^^

Tonight I may do an extra day and hit up some bike action, then tomorrow it's Leg Day!

This post has been edited by AnalyticLunatic: 10 October 2012 - 05:59 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#57 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:23 AM

An interesting blog by a software developer on his journey from a near heart attack to being more active and living a better and longer life.
http://www.smartassfitness.com/

his dev blog:
http://www.realsoftw...evelopment.com/
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:31 AM

View Posth4nnib4l, on 10 October 2012 - 06:09 AM, said:

@sloth - I know that ABQ has a pretty badass fight scene, because so many fighters work out there for the altitude. Several UFC champions have come out of Jackson's MMA. Just find out where she works out...

hahah. yeah jackson's is pretty big around here. i've had some friends take the intro class but they never stuck with it. it's quite the meathead thing. i think i'd rather learn actual boxing than mma though. i've just always found it a lot more interesting. there's actually a boxing gym less than half a mile from my place, but i think it's more of an after skool program type thing than a gym i could just go sign up at. i need to go check it out, just to make sure.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Noid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:28 PM

That's too bad. I guess when any one place becomes that popular, it's bound to become the repository for douchebags. I think my interest with MMA is really more of the kickboxing and dirty boxing than the grappling, but I won't quit boxing. I'm not gonna lie, when my coach can say "jab jab right hook hook upper right" and I can hit his mitts as soon as they get where they're going, I feel like a badass. I think the attitude in the place is what really sells it too; my coach and his trainers are all really positive and motivating, and that shit helps when you're lying in a puddle of sweat in a gym that's 90 degrees. I can tell that I've gotten faster and stronger in the ring, but I was shadowboxing the other night (because you can't throw enough punches just in the gym to really get good) and my wife really tripped out about how fast my hands have gotten. Just more motivation for me.

Hopefully that place is a legit gym you can box at. If you liked tough mudder, or whatever that competition you posted pics of last summer was, you'll love boxing.

This post has been edited by h4nnib4l: 10 October 2012 - 12:32 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:18 PM

AnalyticLunatic, isn't that pic a little harsh? I'm pretty sure I read that that dude is an injured Army vet, and was just able to walk again or something.

We had our health fair today at work. I got my flu shot (x_x), BMI, body fat %, blood sugar, blood pressure, cholesterol, etc. Except for being fat, low good chol., and borderline high triglycerides, I'm perfectly healthy. Since I'm not in college at the moment, my blood pressure has finally went down to its normal value of 99/61. It was like 120/90 for a while. :( Also, my sugar was in normal range, meaning in not diabetic as I had feared for the longest time. They told me I need to eat more meat and exercise.

Also, since the last time I weighed myself (about 3 weeks) I lost 8 lbs, and since the last time I measured my waistline (over a year) I lost 3.5 inches.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• (36 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »