• +
  • « First

535 Replies - 24017 Views - Last Post: 14 March 2013 - 08:51 AM

• XNArchitect
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Fall/Winter 2012 Fitness

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:34 AM

Thanks a lot for the advice guys. I'll definitely be easing into it until I know what I can comfortably handle without causing any real damage. Now if I could just stop being lazy with food and start cooking some nutritious dinners again.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Noid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:40 AM

That's the hard part man. My advice there is to just slowly but surely replace things from your diet with healthier things, a few at a time. Don't make a store run and buy a bunch of crap you're not used to, or you'll just feel like there's nothing to eat. But if you can replace snack foods and sweets, that's a great start. Pure honey is one of the tastiest treats out there (way better than processed!), and is good for you in moderation. We use a coconut oil-based butter and natural honey on sprouted grain toast (Ezekial bread), and it is ridiculously good! Coconut oil and extra-virgin olive oil are both good for you, and are great to cook with (although the coconut oil will leave a hint of that flavor, so it isn't always ideal). The key for us has been to make small changes fairly often, rather than try to overhaul the whole things at once. If you want, I can message you some of the things we've done to "fix" our diet, or you can work it out for yourself.

EDIT: I say all of that, but part of the process for me was to go on a really strict, clean diet for a week to kind of reset my taste buds. Most of the meals were either salads or vegetarian, and I had chicken once and fish once. When I started working out my new way of eating after that, the healthier alternatives tasted much better than they had previously. And the changes have to be something you can live with. Being realistic about what you can and can't do without, and what you can and can't eat more of, will make it more likely to stick. If you think of it as a diet, it'll be one, and it'll end. If it's just the way you do things now, and is a set of guidelines that you (responsibly) allow yourself to break sometimes, then it's life-changing.

This post has been edited by h4nnib4l: 28 February 2013 - 10:45 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:42 AM

Don't know nothing about exercise, but food I know.
If there's a farm share or a CSA you can sign up for, do it. Pre-commmitting to a season's worth of vegetables showing up at your door every week is a great way to make sure you eat more veg, and it also helps you get more of a variety.
And I'm not going to tell anyone that they shouldn't eat meat, or they should eat less meat, but eating more vegetables can't hurt at all.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• XNArchitect
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:48 AM

I've never been huge on sitting around and eating snacks, I just usually don't feel like cooking so I'll just grab something from whatever restaurant catches me eye on the way home from work. I know this isn't a great way to get healthy food, and my wallet doesn't like it either especially since I spent nearly 300 bucks on food this month. I'm a good cook, when I have the motivation to do it. Haven't had much of that motivation lately, but I'm going to have to change that.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:10 AM

When I first started out Kilorn, my main focus was on the exercise. Starting as some have said at what I would call an (personally) embarrassing level, and working my way up. The first couple of weeks it was weird doing the low weight, but by working up so slowly, I allowed my muscles to adjust linearly without damage and broke through several plateaus I had experienced in the past.

With my new regiment, I began using MyFitnessPal to track my caloric intake, and each day at a time I worked myself into healthier choices and really felt like a Success when I would meet or come in somewhat below my recommended intake. It's a great way to see just how healthy each food item you place into your body really is.

Spoiler

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#516 NeoTifa  Icon User is online

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:06 PM

I am really lost as to a schedule for working out, like which muscles for what day and what exercises do what. Yesterday I found this , so I think I'm going try it. Maybe something like tjis might be right for you, Kilorn.

((Dunno if link worked, this tablet blows www.bodybuilding.com/fun/lee-labrada-12-week-lean-body-trainer.html))

This post has been edited by NeoTifa: 28 February 2013 - 07:07 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:22 AM

starting out, if you just separate it into arms and legs, you should be fine. then you can whittle it down from there.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Hash != Encryption
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:44 AM

POPULAR

Did my bench max yesterday, got 140. Highest ever was 135 and last max was 125.

Totally getting a membership now :)
Was This Post Helpful? 6
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:59 AM

Like supersloth said, for just starting out you will be perfectly fine by separating arms/legs NeoTifa. Below is my routine (granted, I'm trying to add strength & some bulk, so may not be EXACTLY what you are after):

Note: "To Failure" means as many as can be done. Minimum of 5 is required to increase weight on next day.

MONDAY
Bench Press - 3sets (5, 5, To Failure)
Bicep Curls - 3sets
Tricep Press - 3sets
Tricep Extension - 3sets
Chins
Squats - 3sets (5, 5, To Failure)

WEDNESDAY
Overhead Press - 3sets (5, 5, To Failure)
Alternating Shoulder Press - 3sets
Shoulder Shrugs - 3sets
Horizontal Tree Huggers - 3sets (No Idea on professional name, just nicknamed them)
Chins
Deadlift - (To Failure)

FRIDAY
Bench Press - 3sets (5, 5, To Failure)
Rows - 3sets
Calf Raises - 3sets
Chins
Squats - 3sets (5, 5, To Failure)

Each week I swap the Bench/Overhead Press Days, trying to add 10lbs on Bench Press, Squats, Deadlift, and 5lbs each week to Overhead Press. Once hitting the failure point (unable to do even 5 on the final count set), drop weight by 10% and work back up the ladder.

10lbs might be a lot to increase by each week, but my friend and I started out rather low, and though I've got 100lbs on him, he's hit the fail point a few times and I through sheer determination haven't yet :)

Spoiler

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#520 NeoTifa  Icon User is online

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 March 2013 - 03:56 PM

Tree huggers? You mean chest flies?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• sudo pacman -S moneyz

• View blog

Posted 09 March 2013 - 06:58 AM

Started going to the gym about 8-9 months ago and thanks to some good advice from you guys I've seen some awesome results.

Does anyone here have a home gym? I have a spare room that I'm thinking about converting into a gym when my gym membership expires. Any advice, pitfalls or tips about putting together a home gym? Not sure if to go with getting things separately or one of those massive multi-gym things.

If you think a home gym is a good idea, is there any equipment you can recommend? I've looked around at equipment and prices so I know it's going to be an expensive project, but convenience is a bonus considering my gym is a bit of a drive away.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• LIKE A BOSS
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 March 2013 - 01:49 PM

If I were creating a home gym I would need:
  • Bench Press
  • Squat/Deadlift Rack
  • Place for some sort of shoulder, can be military press or can be dumbells
  • pullup bar

Enough plates to do what you want, and this covers the things I usually want to work out.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Hash != Encryption
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 March 2013 - 03:49 PM

My school has a couple of those all-in-one cages. You could do squats in the cage, and there was a platform in front for power cleans and deadlights. There's also a foldable bench/chair that folds up and sits against the back. Has places for both metal and rubber weights.

Unfortunately for the rest of the month and some of next, I'll be in drivers ed. Get home around 7pm and I'm having a hard time finding the motivation to go to the gym :/ It's taking a serious toll on my strength.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• XNArchitect
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 March 2013 - 04:40 PM

So now my new apartment complex is saying that the new fitness center won't be open until early April, which put a damper on my plans. I'm not going to sign up for a gym just to be able to go in the meantime, so I guess I'll work on my cardio for the time being and hopefully they'll get the damn thing open when they say they will this time.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#525 NeoTifa  Icon User is online

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 March 2013 - 03:03 PM

Redid my blood lipid/sugar test thing, my triglycerides went down 2 points, so now I'm just 1 point too high. My other numbers were awesome, and my waist decreased by 1 inch.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• (36 Pages)
  • +
  • « First