6 Replies - 749 Views - Last Post: 27 September 2012 - 04:38 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Anyone here etch circuit boards?

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:33 AM

I have been working with circuits lately, and have made some small prototypes. What is the largest/most complex project that you have made on a self etched board?
I am interested in synthesizers, so my long term goal is to make and program a keyboardless midi module.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Anyone here etch circuit boards?

• member icon

• View blog

Re: Anyone here etch circuit boards?

Posted 24 September 2012 - 12:40 PM

You can make fairly complex circuits using the DIY boards as long as you are willing to use jumper wires on the component side. However, as your board complexity increases, or you plan to use surface mount parts you may want to investigate some of the prototype board services available. Some of these companies produce decent boards for a decent price. I can't give you any recommendations since it has been awhile since I used such a service.

Jim
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 September 2012 - 01:02 PM

Moving this to hardware..
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 September 2012 - 04:37 PM

I have a breadboard and various gate chips, timers, leds, resistors, capacitors, etc. that I play with every now and then. I also have 2 simulation programs where you can build circuits virtually that I play with. That's how I built my microprocessor that I made. :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 September 2012 - 05:50 AM

I have a few ssm 2044 filter chips laying around that I want to use. I would like to build something similar to this: http://mutable-instr...1/build/ssm2044

And I want to program an amtel microprocessor for the oscillators and maybe the envelope. I have like 20 ic 555 timers that I could use for oscillators and lfos and other things for fun too. My main struggle with this project is finding the time to work on it.

View PostNeoTifa, on 24 September 2012 - 04:37 PM, said:

I have a breadboard and various gate chips, timers, leds, resistors, capacitors, etc. that I play with every now and then. I also have 2 simulation programs where you can build circuits virtually that I play with. That's how I built my microprocessor that I made. :D

You made an actual microprocessor, or a development board? No snobbery intended, just wondering
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 26 September 2012 - 01:01 PM

I haven't made my board yet, but I worked out a circuit for a remote controlled car containing adaptable power supply (would work with 7-25v batteries), head, tail, and blinker light controllers, a servo controller and a motor controller. (powered by Arduino and Xbee, of course).

I ran it with jumper wires from the arduino to a breadboard I carved channels in to achieve the effect of a real PCB, but drew the schematic with hopes of making a printed board for a more compact form.

From what I understand, a laser printer, some muriatic acid,and some base will let you print the design on a copper clad board, dip the board in the mixture and shake well until done.

I think if you were lazy you could probably use bleach and vinegar for the process, but as with all things of this nature, do it outside or die.

Then solder on your components, test it, and coat it in resin or something if you want it to be waterproof.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 September 2012 - 04:38 AM

I use ferric chloride as an etchant, but several things work. If you are really lazy, you can just draw on the circuit with a Sharpie instead of using a printer. The printer method is obviously neater. Its pretty fun really, and not difficult.

And that project sounds pretty interesting, I have a friend that works alot with arduino.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1