• +
  • « First

236 Replies - 24052 Views - Last Post: 17 April 2014 - 07:07 PM

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Local Yokels

Posted 08 January 2014 - 01:15 PM

So, some geniuses who took total advantage of our society's nearly unfathomable oversight in requiring licenses for driving, fishing and for even digging a hole but NOT for breeding videoed with their 1st Amendment rights a toddler acting like, well, a foul-mouthed thug to their eternal delight and entertainment via their surely superior parenting skills...and then the local police union whose rank and file are tasked with policing those delightful and surely misunderstood type of folk decide to exercise THEIR first amendment rights and call out the outrageous behavior by labeling it as violent and thuggery...and it's THAT statement that's caused ire?

It's like having someone pissed off and offended at your critiquing their aim after they just finished shitting on your shoes.

There are all kinds of problems in this country to be sure. That said, one of the problems is that, for some groups, you can't even criticize or sometimes even mention their problems because doing so is somehow being racist (in this case the word "thuggery" is now "racially charged language"). The eternally schizophrenic ACLU said that...you know, the civil liberties union that only likes some civil liberties and then only for certain select folk.

Teaching a 2 year old to swear, be violent and obnoxious IS the very cycle of thuggery (maybe my new favorite word...right behind "bumblefuckery") that the police union statement bemoaned. Good for them they spoke up and criticized it. Fuck the police department who lacked the rigidity of spine to stand behind their guys and especially fuck the ACLU for making such insipid and stupid statements, taking the side of the race baiters rather than considering that a 2 year old kid, who does indeed lack "the brain capacity to know what's going on" is being set on the path of failure and the police union members were only exercising their First Amendment rights as members of the community to call out such outrageous behavior.

As an aside, I busted out with "asstardedness" whilst describing teammates colliding with me midair in World of Warplanes last night but that is a mere silver medal to "bumblefuckery"'s vocabulary gold.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 January 2014 - 01:55 PM

That is indeed the situation. Mind you - earlier this week a family threw in a lawsuit against the police chief and thirty-two other cops for use of excessive force with a dash of search & seizure without a warrant. So the police are trying to not look like too hard core.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 January 2014 - 03:35 PM

A while back I got in a discussion with a friend about words and the emotional attachments we have to them. And that yes while I speak I consider the emotional reactions people have to the words, but I myself often don't have them, and at times will use words with the literal definition forgetting those attachments.

This could be for words that for some the emotional connotation is obvious, like retard used like you would when saying "flame retardant". And others where the emotional connotation is more subtle, such as empathic (we were discussing the Jeremy Rifkin book "The Empathic Civilization", the connotation didn't offend anyone, just confused their understanding of the discussion because they were operating with a distorted definition of the word).

So in this discussion about words the argument was made that even if a word didn't have the negative connotation at first, you should respect the later attached negative connotation and stop all use of the word. Which annoyed me slightly, because when there's a perfectly good word and society is clearly moving away from using it to disparage one group and is now using it more loosely, I take that as good. We need "bad words", we need words that convey that emotional richness about something.

We went on to talk about the power of words, and I brought up a friend of mine who has embraced the nickname "spic" (he's a Greek-Mexican named Nick) and "owns" the word by using it as such. Basically disempowering the word. Which I like the tactic of. Working within a system, understanding how language works and how people work. You're not going to convince millions of people they shouldn't say something... really that's just going to drive people to say it more (the "no-no" factor making it that much more enticing). I used the same tactic when people called me "dildo" when I was younger, I owned it and dubbed it my nickname. It's still my nickname today with some of my friends (I even have a purple dildo tattooed behind my ear).

We also got on the word "fag", which of course also brought up the the South Park episode and how the word today barely even means homosexual anymore. To the older generations sure, they used it for such for years, but the younger crowds tend to use it to mean "inferior". And the argument was posed to me that despite "fag" not originally meaning "homosexual", that because it went through a phase of meaning it disparagingly, that it should be struck from use all together instead of allowing society to evolve it in the direction it obviously is already heading. I don't know why, this bothered me. I was of the opinion just striking it wasn't going to work, and instead re-embolden the use of the word to be disparaging to homosexuals... where as if you let that silently disappear into the annals of time, it'll just turn into something else.

They wanted examples to go with that to prove that what I was saying could occur. And they didn't like my examples because weren't close enough to home as being disparaging of homosexuals... which was taken to be one of the longest held prejudices by man (note this was told to me, a bi-sexual man who dresses like a lady... like I don't know how disparaging a word can feel).

So then fast forward to about a month ago. And I learned something.

The word bad has it's etymology believed to be routed in old english baeddel and baedling, which was... a disparaging term for an effeminate man, hermaphrodite, or pederast (homosexual pedophile).

Got my example!

Anyways, yeah, the thing about "thuggery" having a racial connotation made me think of all that.

This post has been edited by lordofduct: 08 January 2014 - 03:40 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 January 2014 - 03:41 PM

I am disappointed you did not mention porch monkey, or Randal's cunning attempt to take it back.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=b0R3OjMcOqg
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 January 2014 - 03:42 PM

I completely forgot that!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:25 AM

Well, for my part, I plan to offend every single bumble I come into contact with for the next several months...or until the new fave term gets supplanted with an even better one.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 March 2014 - 12:45 PM

If you ask me that is a little cold blooded to leave the police dealing with all those loose snakes.

Officers were called to Bart's Exotic Pet Store,[...] When they arrived, the reported seeing a man standing next to a shattered door at the front of the business.

According to police, the suspect ran back into the building and eventually out the back door carrying a large snake. There was a short foot chase, but officers eventually took the man into custody. His name has not yet been released.

Officers said in addition to the snake the man allegedly stole, numerous snakes were loose inside the building.

http://www.wowt.com/...-249312331.html

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 April 2014 - 01:32 PM

Claw machines - like lobster traps for three year olds.

Posted Image

Missing Boy Found Inside Claw Machine
A 3-year-old boy somehow crawled up into a claw machine and was busy playing with the toys inside while his mother frantically searched for him.

Employees at Madsen's Bowling and Billiards in Lincoln said a customer alerted them that the young child was stuck inside the claw machine.

At the same time police were called to a home nearby on a report of a missing child. According to reports, a 24-year-old woman called 911 when she discovered her 3-year-old had slipped out of her apartment.

She told police that she was in the bathroom when the boy left through an unlocked door.

Meanwhile, Madsen's called police and the vending machine company to come let him out.

Employees said by the time the vending people arrived police had pieced the two situations together.

The boy was freed from the machine without any injury.

According to police, the mother acted quickly and appropriately as soon as she realized her son was missing and there were no indications of neglect. She was not cited.

http://www.wowt.com/...-255379071.html

Stumpy three year old legs or not, but that lady must have been in the bathroom quite some time.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 April 2014 - 07:11 AM

Wu Tang Clan aint nothing to fuck wit!

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• The Noid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 April 2014 - 07:53 AM

I got nothing...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 April 2014 - 07:56 AM

He must be suffering from Van Gogh syndrome and was gonna give his junk to a chick but she refused.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 April 2014 - 07:07 PM

View Postno2pencil, on 17 April 2014 - 10:11 AM, said:

...aint nothing to fuck wit!

This easily earned the +1 I gave it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0