0 Replies - 3279 Views - Last Post: 25 September 2012 - 08:56 AM Rate Topic: -----

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

[link] The Great Catch: Becoming the Artist You Should Be

Posted 25 September 2012 - 08:56 AM

http://www.gamasutra...coming_the_.php

A pretty darn inspirational piece by the Art Director of EA Shanghai... good solid four pages of pump up the volume!

In this extensive feature, originally started as a way to inspire those who work for him, Electronic Arts' Audran Guerard, an art director EA Shanghai, explores what it truly takes to learn and grow as an artist -- and to create works that have meaning and interest for the players of your games.
I will leave the technical implementation aspect to the side; it is not my concern with this article. I want to focus on the vision, the speed of execution, and the collaborative aspect of our job.
Throughout the years, my biggest enemy has been myself and my expectations. You can't possibly work freely if you are constantly watching over your own shoulder -- the same way I can't work if someone stands behind me, watching every step. You need to create room around you -- room for errors, and room for experimentation, free of critics.
We don't make art for ourselves. Art is communication, but for communication to happen, you need a receiving end. That receiving end is a great teacher. Your reaction to criticism and feedback, your attitude toward other artists who may hold a piece of advice you critically need, and what you accept will define you as a much as what you reject.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Page 1 of 1