2 Replies - 7078 Views - Last Post: 25 September 2012 - 11:12 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

difficulty rating on this app idea..?

Posted 25 September 2012 - 10:38 AM

For my dissertation on my final year at uni, I simply would like someone to tell me if this would be a decent app to develop and the difficulty that this app would incur.

The difficulty of course would be different from person to person, so please think of someone around the intermediate mark with programming in the C# language.

This is the file attached:

Attached File(s)

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: difficulty rating on this app idea..?

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: difficulty rating on this app idea..?

Posted 25 September 2012 - 11:05 AM

The biggest moving parts are what - pulling in data from planefinder.net and drawing a colored circle on a google/bing map? I say moderately difficult with someone who has 'intermediate' skills..

As a side note - I am not a fan of the concept and do not find it particularly 'light-hearted'.

As a side-side note - the text in that image isn't anything complex or long - next time just put it in your post. There's no real reason why I need to download a picture to read text for your idea.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: difficulty rating on this app idea..?

Posted 25 September 2012 - 11:12 AM

For anyone wondering here's the image to text translation..

Project name: Fear of Walking

Project Description:
Plenty of people are afraid of flying. an interesting project would be on that reminded those people they aren't necessarily safe because they are on the ground...

Planefinder AR is a great app that means you can point your smartphone at a plane, and it will tell you about that flight.

See: http://planefinder.net/ and http://itunes.apple....-ar/id390039844

Through access to this data, make a mobile app that sends you an alert if you are directly under the flight of one of these planes, and therefor in imminent danger of being crushed by the burning wreckage should a mid-air explosion happen at that exact moment.

By using GPS coordinates, flight data about location, altitude, vector and airspeed, and about historical air accidents, you can calculate the area on teh ground where the plane would hit should there be a mid-air disaster. There might be an opportunity for a light-hearted game based around this concept.

Are there any prerequisite skills/courses?
Strong programming skills - especially using 3rd party APIs.
Which degree program is this aimed at?
Any
Number of students you wish to undertake this project

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1