4 Replies - 810 Views - Last Post: 27 September 2012 - 05:36 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Another masters degree versus work topic

Posted 25 September 2012 - 11:41 AM

Hi Everyone,

I would like some advice on my situation and what I should do.

I was recently laid off from my first job after my BS in CS. (large Lexmark inkjet layoffs), and I noticed a Forbes article recently that has Computer Science tied for first as the best Masters degree to get for jobs.

I talked to a couple managers at Lexmark one who had his Masters in EE and another with an MBA, both of them think it would be beneficial to get my Masters while I can. I guess my biggest problem is there aren't a whole lot of entry level development jobs in Kentucky, and I'm thinking maybe just getting my Masters will open some more doors for me without having to relocate? Or perhaps I should just start preparing to move.

So, if I did decide to go the Masters route, I would likely go to UK, but the other thing about this is, I can draw unemployment soon, and could potentially go to a smaller school, and take evening classes and continue to get paid unemployment at the same time, but a masters at UK would likely cause me to take afternoon classes, which could stop my unemployment.

Perhaps I am better off just getting a job, and working on side projects (Android/Iphone, apps/games) with hopes of eventually making enough off them to work for myself? I likely wouldn't work at all if I go for my masters, I will likely apply for jobs and get my masters paperwork done, and then decide based on the job offers, but its a pretty tough choice.

Thanks for the help.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Another masters degree versus work topic

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Another masters degree versus work topic

Posted 25 September 2012 - 12:13 PM

I am not exactly sure what you want advice on. It is really up to you and what you want to do with your future. Not sure why you have to go to the UK for your masters anyways... that requires you to pay international student fees (unless you are from the UK). It also depends if you are willing to move or not.

If you move to the coast you should be able to find work with a BS as is or you should be able to find something in KY

Then there is costs and what you can afford to do. If you have the money to get a masters and can find the time then do it. If you need money to stay afloat at home, then take care of that first. I can't imagine a masters would give you that much more of an edge in computer science. Put together a great portfolio of your work and land some interviews to show them.

I look at it this way in the US... if the unemployment rate is 10% then that means 90% have jobs. Now considering that most of those jobs also include minimum wage jobs, it means that as someone with a BS you should at least be able to do like 80% of the jobs in that 90%.

Doing a simple search real quick yields several computer science jobs in Louisville and Lexington. So I am not sure what the issue really is. Either go find a job or, if you have the time and money, do the masters. But don't expect the masters to open you up to that many more jobs... especially in a place like Kentucky.

:)

This post has been edited by Martyr2: 25 September 2012 - 12:14 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 25 September 2012 - 12:20 PM

I think he meant univeristy of kentucky.

masters are nice-- which I wish I had one -- here having a masters degree can land you a job making well over 100k---- but then again who has the money to get a masters
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 September 2012 - 03:45 PM

Thanks for the replies,

As DarenR said, I meant the University of Kentucky, sorry for the confusion :)

The money issue would be that, it would cost about 40k to get the degree at UK, but I would make an average of 10k more a year, though in Kentucky I'm sure it would be less than that. So it seems like a good investment, I just wasn't sure if it really is. I'm afraid ill go get it, only to find out the job selection and salaries are going to be roughly the same in a state like KY. Though, I know just with a BS I won't have that much problem, the biggest issue is that I was looking for a entry level development position and there weren't so many of those here. So, perhaps I should expand that a bit.

But basically I have the opportunity to go back, money won't be a huge issue, not that I have money, its that I'm used to having none so I haven't built up much debt to worry about :P But it seems like its not going to make a huge difference either way, so ill put in apps and see what I get offered and get stuff ready for school and hopefully make a choice soon :)

Thanks for the help.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 September 2012 - 05:36 AM

I would recommend that if you already have a BS in computer science that you go for an MBA with a MIS Concentration. This will open you up for easier promotion into management as you will have both the training in Computer Science, and the training in Business Administration.

Also why would you be disqualified from getting unemployment if you went to school in the afternoon?

This post has been edited by rgfirefly24: 27 September 2012 - 05:39 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1