7 Replies - 2451 Views - Last Post: 01 October 2012 - 11:59 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Young programmer looking to get into the industry.

Posted 25 September 2012 - 12:31 PM

Hey guys, I'm a young game developer to be and I've got a few questions to ask on the subject.

I'm a sixteen year old programer based near Ottawa Ontario, and I'm looking to get into a local college for Game Design and Programing. The thing is that, these colleges demand a portfolio to even be considered for their courses, so I guess my question to you is, how can I build a portfolio of work? How can I find and get myself on community teams? And once I'm there, how do I go about creating and adding this to a portfolio?

If there's any information for a new guy in the field, I'd love to hear. Things like, what sort of code would you usually see in a indie game, for instance on the XboxLIVE market place, and what kind of tools does it require?

-Jake.

PS: My only prior experience in programing is just basic stuff, I've taken a college level computer programing course at my HighSchool, and I've been messing around with some Java code.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Young programmer looking to get into the industry.

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Re: Young programmer looking to get into the industry.

Posted 25 September 2012 - 06:46 PM

Hi and welcome. Have you tried asking the colleges themselves on their requirements? This is quite an important step since different colleges will likely have different requirements. Some even have example work on their site that students have worked on.

Have a good look around, and good luck. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 September 2012 - 10:01 AM

If you want to get into Game Programming you need to show that you are passionate about the industry. Make sure you play lots of games and you read about what is new and upcoming in the industry. If I were you, I would start by making simple games and build up from there. You will need to show that you understand the concepts used in games when you are applying out to any place, the more work experience that you have the better off you'll be.

There are many sections in game programming and by making games you'll learn which aspects you like more than others. Ie level design, sprite animation, physics, graphics rendering etc.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 29 September 2012 - 10:17 AM

View Postmmakrzem, on 29 September 2012 - 06:01 PM, said:

If you want to get into Game Programming you need to show that you are passionate about the industry. Make sure you play lots of games and you read about what is new and upcoming in the industry. If I were you, I would start by making simple games and build up from there. You will need to show that you understand the concepts used in games when you are applying out to any place, the more work experience that you have the better off you'll be.

There are many sections in game programming and by making games you'll learn which aspects you like more than others. Ie level design, sprite animation, physics, graphics rendering etc.

Actually, not really regarding showing a passion for the industry. You actually need to show that you are a way above average programmer and adaptable to learning new technologies and programming techniques. There are a lot of people in the industry who do not play games at all and have no interest in them otherwise.

Very true about making games and understanding how they are made.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 September 2012 - 06:46 AM

thanks guys, all your input is great! I've decided to start working on C++ code in Visual studios; first project is going to be a Tetris variant.

View PostButchDean, on 25 September 2012 - 06:46 PM, said:

Hi and welcome. Have you tried asking the colleges themselves on their requirements? This is quite an important step since different colleges will likely have different requirements. Some even have example work on their site that students have worked on.

Have a good look around, and good luck. :)

No, I haven't asked the colleges directly, I've only looked at the course outlines and prerequisites. But will do, thanks!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• フカユ
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 October 2012 - 01:14 AM

View PostButchDean, on 29 September 2012 - 06:17 PM, said:

View Postmmakrzem, on 29 September 2012 - 06:01 PM, said:

Actually, not really regarding showing a passion for the industry. You actually need to show that you are a way above average programmer and adaptable to learning new technologies and programming techniques. There are a lot of people in the industry who do not play games at all and have no interest in them otherwise.

Hmm, not sure I agree . It is actually listed on most job specifications and also it is something that I have read on countless discussions from industry veterans about getting into the industry. Of course passion alone will not get you a job, but if it's a toss up between two above average programmers yet one is passionate about the industry and the other is not, who is more likely to get the job?

I think that with any job, employers are looking for someone who has passion and drive to become successful in their chosen career. That's common sense.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:39 AM

View Poststayscrisp, on 01 October 2012 - 09:14 AM, said:

Hmm, not sure I agree . It is actually listed on most job specifications and also it is something that I have read on countless discussions from industry veterans about getting into the industry. Of course passion alone will not get you a job, but if it's a toss up between two above average programmers yet one is passionate about the industry and the other is not, who is more likely to get the job?

I think that with any job, employers are looking for someone who has passion and drive to become successful in their chosen career. That's common sense.

Well, that just means that I need to clarify myself, stayscrisp. It most certainly is true that studios value raw skill over having an interest in games when it comes to programming; I've worked with too many programmers not interested in games who do actually work in games to say otherwise - especially over the years that I've been in games. It is also important to note that different roles in the industry have different requirements, for instance if you wanted to be a game designer then having a passion for games is a certain requirement, since you will need to be familiar with what makes an enjoyable game and how it all comes together. Likewise for QA.

Programming, production, business admin don't need the personality to love games. They just need to know what it takes to make a quality product based off feedback from people like designers and QA.

So, why then does there seem to be a requirement in ads even for programming? Because:

1. We want to find someone who is most likely to fit in with the team, since studios are generally filled with lifetime gamers.

2. Every single games job ad that goes out has countless applicants, so we need to put something(s) in there that are most likely to fulfill my first point and discourage those who just want 'any job'.

I hope that clarifies. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• フカユ
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:59 AM

It sure does :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1