4 Replies - 648 Views - Last Post: 26 September 2012 - 10:56 AM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

ASP.NET Microsoft training

Posted 25 September 2012 - 01:15 PM

I've been working with ASP.NET for a bit now and I'm comfortable with the basics - I can easily create a site and push it to IIS, etc. Database communication is not a problem.

But I've been having a LOT of problems with the ASP.NET platform as a whole. I've got custom AJAX work that's limiting because the .NET controls don't do what I want, I'm trying to avoid postbacks like a mad man and I've got Javascript constraints to work with. It's been a real nightmare for the most part. For example with the current project I'm working on, if you log out it makes you login TWICE before you can authenticate. I have ZERO idea why it's doing this.

I need to learn .NET inside and out - all the black box crap. I'm really tired of clawing my way through this just to find workarounds. Where can I go to learn this? I've been looking online for training information and all I can find is basically just introduction courses that teach you about .NET controls.

TIA.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: ASP.NET Microsoft training

• Master(Of Foo)
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: ASP.NET Microsoft training

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:56 PM

To address the current issue(double login) could you show us the code you use so we may see what your doing?

The problem with most books is they give only a basic run down. You end up learning how to search the numerous properties, functions and subs via MSDN for at least the definitions for them and usually an example. One thing we do as programmers is to test and play with them too. After awhile you also get good at googling and using the object browsers too.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:41 AM

No, I think you're missing the point. This is not a matter of looking up controls and implementing some classes. I know what Google is. Every inch of the way, I've tried to implement common web development techniques and .NET seems to not want you to do anything that's not already built into a control. Things I can do in 20 minutes manually are seemingly impossible in .NET.

Session timeout is a good example. I had to notify the user when the session would expire - a very common implementation. I looked to find a .NET mechanism for this. All I got from the .NET community was, "Why would you want to do that??". So I had to write my own Javascript anyway. And it's like this for EVERY little thing. Between the Script Manager and Viewstate exploding - I can't deal with this.

I'm not going to fight with .NET for the rest of my career. I need to know how the Black Box works.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:55 AM

If your getting frustrated with the webform controls, might I suggest you look into MVC? It gives you so much more control over what happens then webforms do.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:56 AM

Why not just snag the source code for .NET and debug through it when you need to?

http://referencesour...tframework.aspx

https://blogs.msdn.c...Redirected=true
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1